Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for a long (6000 mi) trip and will be pulling a pop up camper. It tips the scales at about 500 lbs. I come in at 205 lbs and will have about 50 lbs of gear on the backseat. Does anyone have a good idea of the amount of air I should use in my rear shocks?. How about tire pressure?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am getting ready for a long (6000 mi) trip and will be pulling a pop up camper. It tips the scales at about 500 lbs. I come in at 205 lbs and will have about 50 lbs of gear on the backseat. Does anyone have a good idea of the amount of air I should use in my rear shocks?. How about tire pressure?
Look in the owners manual specs should be there Shock hash marks 111 for heavy load
The max setting for the shock is 43 psi. Use a quality hand pump with a gauge. Make sure both sides are equal. I run 40 psi in the rear tire, 28 in the front you could go up to 36 in the front play with it and see what gives you the best ride.
Have a Safe trip

·
Registered
82 Posts
This chart may give you an idea of where to start with your shock pressure.

rear shock pressure.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
42 psi for me and mark III

·
Registered
48 Posts
What is the tounge weight of the trailer?

I don't disagree with what the other have already resonded, but to know the load on the bike you would need to add the tougue weight to your weight and the other luggage. You would also want to know that so you don't exceed the recomended load on your hitch.

That said, I ran 33 psi in the rear shocks this weekend with a 500 pound load on the bike (two up). The bike was very well mannered at that weight. I was hoping this bike was up to the the task and it appears it is.

Best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts