Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Wanted to post this in case anyone else decides to replace the fuel pump on their Mean Streak with a Quantum kit. Please note that the fuel line supplied with the kit should not be used for the connections before and after the fuel filter. I used the supplied fuel line and cut into 2 pieces and less than 200 miles later found myself stalled in the middle of traffic and had to get a tow.
Today i opened her up to find a burst hole in one of the fuel line sections.
I called High Flow Fuel and they had no idea why it would have happened and said the line supplied can be submersed in fuel. My thought is that although that may be true, its not rated for the 60 or so PSI pressure of the pump.
You will need the following fuel line to be safe which i just ordered: SAE30R10.
I bought the Gates 5/16" version shown here:

It is fully submersible in fuel and rated to 100 psi so i shouldn't ever have to worry about this happening again.
Hope this helps..
I have attached pics for reference of the pump and supplied hoses that were problematic.

Also, for reference, i used this tutorial for the work i did but you can see the fuel line that they used is rated SAE30R9 which is NOT fuel submersible rated and i almost made the mistake of buying and installing that as it was easily found at a local parts store. It would probably work for awhile until eventually degrading and failing.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic with the new high pressure submersible line (SAE30R10) installed.. bike is running great again and hopefully thats the last time i need to do this task

Gas Electrical wiring Bumper Cable Wire

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Here is the label from the packaging for the hose.
I did this for clarity. Sometime later these links to Amazon and other suppliers go dead.

Font Line Packaging and labeling Magenta Brand

·
Registered
17 Posts
How is your experience with the Quantum pump. Other posts say don't use it. I just ordered one for my 02 Classic VN1500fi. Is the pump quality or not? Please. I would love your opinion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only had it installed for a week or so and a couple hundred miles but so far so good now that I have the correct fuel line.. Bike starts right up with no issues

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That fuel line is pricey that's for sure, at $15 for 4 inches.. That's all you need and can cut in half and install each piece on either side of the fuel filter.. Replace the fuel filter at the same time, I don't have the part # but you can see in the pic its a standard barrel type and was like $3.. My kit also came with a fuel regulator but I didn't need to change that out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts