Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my Suzuki C50 Boulevard in and got a new 2020 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS!

So much more power than my old bike! It is very well balanced, the seat is so much better than my old bike's. Still not sure about the radio, but if anything, the weather radio might come in handy (rained on me riding to the dealership on my old bike). Have not even tried the cruise yet (no real highway riding yet).

It had 17 miles on the odometer when I took it for a test ride. When I got home, it had 88.

Never had a windscreen or fairing before, never realized how much energy I spent just fighting the wind on my chest before.

I have ordered the 12" windscreen. I felt like anytime I got over 55, my helmet was a bobblehead.

Things I am considering:
Highway pegs - The only ones the dealer had were not even as nice as I had on my old bike for 5 years. I made them give me my old ones back, but not sure if they are really good enough for the new bike. Thinking maybe I should see if there are some black powder coated or non-chrome ones out there...

New Seat - I also am thinking I need a seat that moves the sitting position back and/or up. I sat on the front edge of the pillion seat on and off on the way home. Sure the highway pegs will help with this some, but it feels like I am sitting too far forward. I will almost always be solo.

Battery Tender(TM) leads - I also need to order new battery tender leads (if you wait till you need it, you have waited too long). I forgot to ask for them from my old bike.

Protective film - I keep kicking the right bag with my heel when I get off the bike. I need to learn not to do that, but also am thinking of getting like that thick 3M stuff I see people put on their tank to keep their jacket from rubbing?

Reflective insulation (for under the seat) - There seems to be a lot of heat. Maybe some reflective insulation sheet under the seat?

Lighter jacket - Being behind the fairing, I do not get as much airflow as I am used to, so once the heat started coming thru the seat and around my legs, I was standing up or sticking an arm out to get some airflow. I even flipped up my visor to just get some more air to cool off and it was only a bit humid and mid to low 80s. The jacket I have is not really for summer riding. I am thinking maybe one of those mesh jackets? Still thinking on this.

Light Kit - (Further out) I am thinking the light kit, rear LEDs with the goal of being more obvious, not less.

Longer Mirror bars - Is it just me, or are the mirrors like super close to the hands? Just to give some space.

Any suggestions, advice, or such is welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded in my Suzuki C50 Boulevard in and got a new 2020 Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS!

So much more power than my old bike! It is very well balanced, the seat is so much better than my old bike's. Still not sure about the radio, but if anything, the weather radio might come in handy (rained on me riding to the dealership on my old bike). Have not even tried the cruise yet (no real highway riding yet).

It had 17 miles on the odometer when I took it for a test ride. When I got home, it had 88.

Never had a windscreen or fairing before, never realized how much energy I spent just fighting the wind on my chest before.

I have ordered the 12" windscreen. I felt like anytime I got over 55, my helmet was a bobblehead.

Things I am considering:
Highway pegs - The only ones the dealer had were not even as nice as I had on my old bike for 5 years. I made them give me my old ones back, but not sure if they are really good enough for the new bike. Thinking maybe I should see if there are some black powder coated or non-chrome ones out there...

New Seat - I also am thinking I need a seat that moves the sitting position back and/or up. I sat on the front edge of the pillion seat on and off on the way home. Sure the highway pegs will help with this some, but it feels like I am sitting too far forward. I will almost always be solo.

Battery Tender(TM) leads - I also need to order new battery tender leads (if you wait till you need it, you have waited too long). I forgot to ask for them from my old bike.

Protective film - I keep kicking the right bag with my heel when I get off the bike. I need to learn not to do that, but also am thinking of getting like that thick 3M stuff I see people put on their tank to keep their jacket from rubbing?

Reflective insulation (for under the seat) - There seems to be a lot of heat. Maybe some reflective insulation sheet under the seat?

Lighter jacket - Being behind the fairing, I do not get as much airflow as I am used to, so once the heat started coming thru the seat and around my legs, I was standing up or sticking an arm out to get some airflow. I even flipped up my visor to just get some more air to cool off and it was only a bit humid and mid to low 80s. The jacket I have is not really for summer riding. I am thinking maybe one of those mesh jackets? Still thinking on this.

Light Kit - (Further out) I am thinking the light kit, rear LEDs with the goal of being more obvious, not less.

Longer Mirror bars - Is it just me, or are the mirrors like super close to the hands? Just to give some space.

Welcome Congrats on the new ride b safe and a couple of pics would b nice:)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride. Love the blue color. Most of my Goldwings over the years were blue. A couple of remedies for the heat are the Ivan flash and some saddle heat deflectors. The bike comes from the factory running lean and emits a lot of heat. The ECU flash will improve that and add better drivability. Everyone who has a 1700 and did the ECU flash reeves about it. here is Ivan’s website and a search for the heat deflectors. Thanks again for joining the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some pictures: IMG_9947.jpg IMG_9948.jpg

Thanks for the links!

I was not aware of the deflectors! I was thinking more of something like this: Design Engineering Inc Bodywork Heat Shield Kit | 10% ($6.99) Off! - RevZilla

I did my research before I bought it and know about Ivan's ECU flash.

I have looked up online the Kawasaki seats, Corbin, and Mustang. I just have not found any information on how far back the position is or is adjusted... maybe I have missed it?

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really like the blue. I was torn between the Voyager and the Vaquero. I ended up buying a leftover '18 Voyager and have been very happy with it. I've got 17,000 miles on it now and will probably send it in for the flash this winter. I bought these mirror extenders for my Voyager and they work fine.

You might be able to find them a little cheaper by looking around.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Things I am considering:

After you break in the motor and reach over 10,000 miles it will run cooler, along with having it Ivanized.

·
Super Moderator
666 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Love the Vaqueros. Everyone has given you good advice and it sounds like you've done your research. I second the pic request.

As for the jacket, I always wore leather but I was getting tired of sweltering in traffic in summer (yeah, it gets pretty hot here in Canada too). I found a deal on a mesh jacket a couple of summers ago and it is one of the best investments I've made in riding apparel. It's almost as cool as wearing a t-shirt but still offers me protection in the event I go down. It came with a windbreaker liner so if it's gets cool I can just put that on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Once I saw the ebay link for the mirror extenders, I found some black ones on Revzilla (just wish the bolts were black oxidized).

Did the pictures not show up in the earlier post?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 Abs
51 Posts

I added mirror extensions to my Voyager 1700. When I first got the bike I thought the mirrors where so close together in relation to my shoulders. With then extensions it will extend the mirrors out about 2 inches. I got a pair for under $20.00. It will also fit the Vaquero.
Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 Abs
51 Posts
Just in case these are the ones.

·
Registered
2008 1600 Nomad
4 Posts
Some pictures: View attachment 244946 View attachment 244947

Thanks for the links!

I was not aware of the deflectors! I was thinking more of something like this: Design Engineering Inc Bodywork Heat Shield Kit | 10% ($6.99) Off! - RevZilla

I did my research before I bought it and know about Ivan's ECU flash.

I have looked up online the Kawasaki seats, Corbin, and Mustang. I just have not found any information on how far back the position is or is adjusted... maybe I have missed it?

Thanks again for the info!
Nice ride, congrats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts