Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started riding I wore a helmet, and leather. After a bit I wore nothing and rode in t-shirt and jeans with no helmet.
Sold the bike when starting a family and just got a new one again. I got a new helmet and always wear one but have been debating whether I need leather. Do you guys wear a jacket, chaps, gloves, or what is your preference in protective gear?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Completely depends on the weather for me. The colder it gets, the more i put on. Hot days will still find me wearing at least a shirt, jeans, gloves (with fingers), and boots though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I always ride in an armored jacket, full face helmet, and gloves. The jacket doesn't have to be leather, as long as it's adequately armored to survive a fall and subsequent slide. I'm still using the textile Fieldsheer jacket I had on when a deer ran out in front of me on the Parkway 5 years ago. Hit and tumbled at 45 or so and walked away without a scratch. That was enough to keep me wearing the gear for good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I first started riding I wore a helmet, and leather. After a bit I wore nothing and rode in t-shirt and jeans with no helmet.
Sold the bike when starting a family and just got a new one again. I got a new helmet and always wear one but have been debating whether I need leather. Do you guys wear a jacket, chaps, gloves, or what is your preference in protective gear?
bloodhound,

Like you, I was once young and foolish. However, like you, I have learned the error of my old ways and reformed.

Everyone is different, but for me, no matter how hot it is, this is the MINIMUM:

T-shirt
Jeans
Eye protection (face visor or safety glasses)
Boots
Light leather riding gloves
Jean jacket (and usually the leather X-Element jacket, unless SCORCHING HOT)

More extended rides (higher highway speeds) alway the leather - no matter how hot.

When it's too hot, the full-face helmet is too much for me to take. I know I should always wear it, but I enjoy the air too much.

Also, unless wearing a full-face visored helmet or a face shield on your more open helmet, get some full coverage safety sunglasses (and clear safety glasses for night riding). It's not easy to recover from a big bug or a small stone in the eye at 70+mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I always wear the full face helmet (bell star) if the speed will exceed 35 or so. I went and bought the jacket tonight. I still need to decide if I am getting the chaps though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I always wear all of the gear. My GX Air with all of the liners out is quite cool in hot weather and still gives me protection.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Dress for the Slide.. not for the ride.

Yea I always wear the full face helmet (bell star) if the speed will exceed 35 or so. I went and bought the jacket tonight. I still need to decide if I am getting the chaps though.
houndoggy, you did good. them kiddo's are counting on you to be around for a while. hey, somebody has got to pick up the tab for all this fun.

FF helmet is best. I take the check pads out for summer. It allows more ventilation in around the numskull. still gives a good bit of face protection should you get served a heaping plate of asphalt. That stuff dont taste none too good. leaves bad aftertaste.

Mesh Jackets are the tiket for warm weather riding. When it gets hot..100f+ in these parts, not even the mesh is cool 'nuff.

I use a Wet Vest for running accross the desert. It has some poly-crap in it that holds 1 gallon of water. Not to drink. It evaporates as you ride and knocks 10-30f off your chest n back. It can be downright chilly at times. But it helps reduce body temp and core temp to keep you from blacking out while at speed. not a good thing. the blacking out part. the Vest is a good thing.

ok, gear up for the kiddo's. they wouldn't have it any other way. ponch out

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Dress for the slide ... not the ride, i like that. For me on the highway, touring, textile jacket with armor, heavy jeans with armor, boots, full face helmet and gloves. My textile jacket has a complete zip out and converts to full mesh with the armor still in place. It also comes with a full quilted liner for colder weather ... 2 Jackets in one.

Putting around town is min jeans, mesh coat, gloves, helmet and boots.

I do have chaps and a leather jacket, as well as armor textile touring pants and coat from my sport touring days, may not look cool but in realy bad, cold , wet weather it does the job.

Anything is better than nothing ... when i was 16 i was out riding thru an intersection when a drunk driver ran a stop sign, i plowed right into the side of him wearing flip flops, shorts, muscle shirt and helmet, boy did i get carved up, no broken bones but lots of gravel rash, next day i was back out riding with protective gear on .. jeans, t shirt gloves and a new helmet on, had to wear flip flops again as my shoes would not fit over my bandaged toes.

Fortunately these days I'm slightly wiser.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up a Joe Rocket jacket at a store that was having a big clearance sale. It's a nylon jacket with some built-in padding and it has zip open vents on the front and back. It breathes very well and is surprisingly comfortable so long as you are moving. We'll see how it feels in July and August but at least for the rest of the year it seems fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wear a half-helmet, boots, gloves, eyewear always.

When it's stinkin hot (+100°) I wear a leather vest and kevlar jeans with lighter gloves. That is not often. 95% of the time I wear a fully armoured leather motorcycle jacket with jeans and chaps and heavier riding gauntlets.

I like wearing my gear. Putting it on is part of my pre-ride mantra. While I do that, I am adjusting my attitude, reflecting on the fact that I am about to get on a flimsy contraption that goes far too fast and that I can die in an instant if I am careless. That attitude adjustment doesn't come automatically.

I have a simple philosophy. Why should I leave acres of my skin scraped along the highway when I can pay a cow to to that instead?

Don't cheat on gear. You may spend the rest of your life regretting it.

Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For commuting, I wear a Xelement mesh jacket and 'BiLT' brand non-mesh pants - both with CE armor, gloves to protect my hands, and a full face helmet.

For going to pick up a pizza I wear a smaller helmet and gloves (always - gloves).

Either way I feel naked compared to what I know is better stuff - I used to ride in Dainese leathers. For big trips I'd wear the top and bottom, but for smaller stuff just the jacket. Different bike, different times, and such. I don't like feeling less safe, but for now it is what it is. Eventually I may go for http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/ in both pants and jacket. I tend to push things to have a little fun in the corners, and one day it's gonna catch up to me.

(For cold weather I break out the Dainese jacket with real armor, but the design looks dated and not right on the bike I now ride.)

Likewise, while I don't need gauntlets, I think I'd rather ride with a quality set of leather motorcycling gloves (over time the good ones form-fit to your hand, and the feeling is so good that you'll refuse to ride without that specific pair of gloves) from, like, AlpineStar (I think I tried these on and felt like I fell into heaven: http://www.alpinestars.com/SMX2_Air_Carbon_Glove/pd/c/141/np/141/p/3567711.html ) than with the breathable mesh Xelement gloves I have been riding with (which are, essentially, not a whole lot between me and the road... I'm dubious about the palm-area's ability to save my hands).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The wife and I wear matching (aww, how cute) AlpineStars armored jackets and gloves, jeans and regular ankle-covering boots (hiking boots, really), and full helmets (mine is a clam-shell). I'll leave off the jacket if I'm going, literally, down the alley or around the block, otherwise it's on all the time.

We don't have a large selection of apparel and helmets around here so we're having difficulty finding all-weather pants, and we're also having a tough time getting her a helmet that fits better. I'm considering getting real riding boots and would like to find another armored jacket that's cooler than the ones we wear now. Might have to take the car some weekend to one of the big cities and hit all the cycle shops we can find.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Try leatherup.com

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Try leatherup.com
I'm not quite a fan of Leatherup, so I feel that I better say my piece. As others have posted across the 'net, there are entire days when the only thing you'll hear if you call is a busy signal.

To be honest, they have treated me fairly. I was worried after three different days (not consecutive) of not being able to get through to them that they'd keep my return - especially when they seemed to pull a trick of marking my first shipment as "shipped" when it did not leave their facility for days afterward.

Also, there is little doubt that the reviews on Leatherup's site are skewed in favor of their products.

I returned a pair of Xelement pants that simply had way, way too much material in the legs and cuffs. Perhaps the original intent was to facilitate putting them on as overpants without taking the shoes off, but nothing mentions that on the site. Anyway, what with the seemingly shady way of delaying the first shipment, and my inability to get calls through despite trying all day some days, I went for an exchange instead of a refund for that part of my order (I kept the Xelemet mesh jacket and gloves... Jacket is fine, but I recently spent $100 on real gloves - the hands have too many nerve endings to trust to cheap, thin and fabric-based gloves, plus the Xelement gloves WILL dye your hands black each and every rain - even if you spend a good amount of time attempting to rinse the dye out beforehand and think you got somewhere :D ) so that they might at least give me something for my money.

To their credit, the leather chaps I exchanged the pants for really were everything that was advertised, and I believe they shipped them to me with free shipping again. I'm not sure I even wanted leather chaps, but it was a trade-off.

Part of the weirdness may be due to Leathup.com using a separate call-center for order placement. I guess that call center gets contracts for different things, and some days just switches off the Leatherup connection to focus on incoming calls.

So there's all that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always wear all of the gear. My GX Air with all of the liners out is quite cool in hot weather and still gives me protection.
+1

Coming from the sportbike arena (I know, I still ride crotch rockets :D ) I believe in ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). I've hit the pavement enough times over the last 20 years to know that you need both impact and abrasion protection.

I still wear a full face helmet on my cruiser and I have different jackets to suit the weather. I wear full leathers when I'm on the track, but on the street I only wear leather in the winter. The rest of the year it's textile. I wear a cooling vest under my textile jackets through June, July and August when it's over 100 degrees everyday. I also wear the forcefield pro pants under my jeans. They made the difference between a shattered knee and a dislocated knee cap when some jerk in an F250 decided to run me over. I'll take a torn ACL and Miniscus over a complete knee replacement anytime.

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1

Coming from the sportbike arena (I know, I still ride crotch rockets :D ) I believe in ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). I've hit the pavement enough times over the last 20 years to know that you need both impact and abrasion protection.

I still wear a full face helmet on my cruiser and I have different jackets to suit the weather. I wear full leathers when I'm on the track, but on the street I only wear leather in the winter. The rest of the year it's textile. I wear a cooling vest under my textile jackets through June, July and August when it's over 100 degrees everyday. I also wear the forcefield pro pants under my jeans. They made the difference between a shattered knee and a dislocated knee cap when some jerk in an F250 decided to run me over. I'll take a torn ACL and Miniscus over a complete knee replacement anytime.

Speaking of wearing a FF on a cruiser, does anyone else find it annoying that the face bar interfere's with seeing the speedo and warning lights on the tank? I have a Scorpion EXO-1000. I was wondering if any other helmets would be better.

FWIW, I'm just getting back to riding after 18 years away. This time around it's armored jacket, FF helmet and boots. Still haven't decided what to do in the pants department.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Speaking of wearing a FF on a cruiser, does anyone else find it annoying that the face bar interfere's with seeing the speedo and warning lights on the tank? I have a Scorpion EXO-1000. I was wondering if any other helmets would be better.

FWIW, I'm just getting back to riding after 18 years away. This time around it's armored jacket, FF helmet and boots. Still haven't decided what to do in the pants department.
I kinda think most cruisers' speedo's are in bad locations anyway. It's just the way it is to get that classic look, but it does require us to take our eyes way off of the road. My advice? Skip looking at the speedo - on cruisers, unless there is a police officer around there is nothing worthwhile looking down there for anyway (i.e. no tach).

I can't say that my HJC FF interferes (I'm really not sure), but that may be due to the angle my handlebars keep my torso and head at.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?p=d or the forecfield pro pants are what I'm thinking about getting, but the problem is that I ride to work and despite that they do fit under the pants I can't really see wearing them for a whole 12-hour shift ... so I'd have to change out of them at work, and back into them. But if you're riding for fun, I'd definitely think about such armored under-pants.

I'm wearing Icon textile pants with armor at the knees as the alternative (they fit over my work pants due to having adjustable waist straps, but look great when I'm not wearing work pants under, too).

·
Registered
198 Posts

I have a nice Shoei FF helmet that I don't wear often. I find it restricts my peripheral vision and my hearing more than I like. There's an element of weird, too, in that FF helmets are uncommon on cruisers, and mine is pretty gaudy. It will stay in the cupboard unless I'm on a sports bike, perched over the handlebars without a full windscreen.

But we have windscreens, and we sit erect on our bikes. I started riding as a kid with a full helmet and clear visor, and was my first choice when we went shopping for helmets. We wear those when we ride in pairs because they worth best with our headsets.

Most of the time I wear a half-helmet and travel with a detachable rain visor. It's more fashionable, even if the protection is not as extensive. At least my helmet is WHITE, and I am much more conspicuous than the many riders I see wearing black lids.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary

( It's quite funny sometimes... my Burgman is also white, and I am sometimes mistaken for a cop, wearing my white hat. The cagers give me lots of room, which I don't mind a bit! )

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
06 Kawasaki VN900 Classic LT
06 Yamaha XVS1100 Silverado
09 Suzuki Burgman AN650 x 2
06 Yamaha 125 Vino x 2
Interesting... are you racing the scooters? I see you have two of each.

I only ask because I saw a video on tight-track scooter racing a few weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts