• No, let's keep things like they are!

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The admin are discussing making changes to the layout, color schemes, and user interface on our forum.

The full discussion thus far can be found on the thread here:
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/3-community-help/305016-we-moving.html

A quick link provided by admin for the new style forum is here:
https://www.focusrsclub.com/

This is a poll to help gauge other user's thoughts and opinions in hope that the administrators will respect our wishes one way or the other.

Please take a moment and make your vote known.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
On the visuals and information organization of the new format I vote a most emphatic NO!

Change it to something close to what is here now and I'll be ok.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that not enough members are aware of the proposed change , I do not know how to go about it but I think it's important to spread the word to as many members possible in the fastest way possible , because it seems that not many members go to the news forum

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also have a link to this poll posted in the thread where the admin announced their plans. I don't want to go thread by thread and pull people in, but if anyone has ideas that might help bring more attention, I'm open to hear them.

Edit: As I try to help other members as much as possible in all portions of the forum, I also am going to attempt to add a link to this thread and poll into my signature. It may not bring in a ton more views and votes, but every one will help!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that most people are automatically opposed to change. I'm sure there must be a good reason for this change (most likely, it's money). If the change will as bad as some are predicting, people will just go elsewhere, revenue will drop and the forum will fold. Will I miss it, yes I will. Will the world come crashing down, no, I think I will survive.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The page that we are taken to look at is dreadful.
This site has much more info on one page.
And is MORE informative.

A good change to make to this forum as it is - take out a lot of the unused white areas in each post.
Would make for even more info per page!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Although the new look is radically different I can't see anything to dislike at first glance but will comment/poll once I've spent more time with it here. It's interesting at least!

My only gripe right now is that the reasons behind the changes should be made more public. Maybe that way users would be more receptive to them.

EDIT: Okay, 10 minutes in and my eyes hurt!! Should've known - waaaay too much white. Switching to dark mode helps that but it's far worse imo to a light mode that won't burn your retinas. If you look at any successful light template there is usually plenty of off-white reading space even when the overall look is bright. Plus, to chime along with many of the comments made so far, the visual separation between posts and threads is severely lacking.

Admin, good luck with ongoing efforts, I'm sure you've had plenty of headaches already.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Hello all,

Please see more info about the update here:

Jeff M

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello all,

Please see more info about the update here:

Jeff M
A convoluted mess with hardly a discernible separation between one item to the next is not "engaging".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, this no look is absolutely horrible. Hardly anyone voted but those that did obviously did not want this. Really poor choice.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
The new look is awful. You can set the mode to dark by selecting the vertical 3-elipses button at the top right. That makes it a little easier on the eyes, but the new software is still awful.

I understand the need for newer, more secure software, but surely there was something out there that is more user friendly that meets the admin needs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
really? It loads great, the look is fine, I have no problems with the separation and I'm an old guy. It seems like a whole lot of drama over nothing.

People can be challenged by change, try to find the positives folks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After finally getting some time to sit down and take a decent look at the new format, well, I stand by my original thoughts that the old forum was much, much better.

Upsides:
One small improvement I have seen is that the pages are longer (more posts per page for those longer running threads). For example, the New Riders > Biker Wave Etiquette thread went from 20+ pages down to 7 pages. More information available without waiting for the next page to load.

Downsides:
I tried the forum in the basic state, and my head was beginning to throb after less than 5 minutes. Waaaayyy too much bright white with very little to break it up. Made it hard to focus on any of the text. So I found "dark mode" which has helped that issue a lot. I've been on about 15 minutes now and my head hasn't started thudding or my eye twitching, which is good, but the layout has my vision going somewhat blurry after a few minutes. Something needs to be done to improve this! I can honestly say the dark mode is a feature I would have liked to see on the old format.

When navigating through the forum sections (such as the 500 section), on the main forum listing it shows new posts, however when you bring up the particular section, it does not show which posts were replied to. I know the top one, but if there were more than one, you have to look over and check the dates. Something needs to be added to give a quick reference as to how many posts have an update.

These are just the points really that stick out to me at first impression. I'm sure I will have more thoughts and input along the way.

Hey Admin:
I guess the big picture takeaway for you should be this:
I'm glad I waited on buying an upgraded membership, because now it just won't happen. Yep, you ignored the masses, made an entirely unpopular choice after being informed that it was not wanted, and now it's already costing you revenue. That shows me that the powers that be simply don't care about their customer's happiness or satisfaction, only what lines their wallet or makes them look good on paper. What ever happened to "The customer is always right?"

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
So I found "dark mode" which has helped that issue a lot. I've been on about 15 minutes now and my head hasn't started thudding or my eye twitching, which is good, but the layout has my vision going somewhat blurry after a few minutes.
yea, the dark mode made my vision a bit blurry also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts