Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i don't know if this exists, but if not, I may have a million dollar idea. Is there an app out there that you can practice what line to take through corners?

So it would be like a video where at your desktop, you would select the line and then the computer would tell you what the proper line should be.

I know in theory, you take outside and then as soon as you see the exit route, you flip into the corner (Apex) and then increase speed out towards outside. So outside, inside, outside.

But in the real world, if i'm going through a corner i don't know, it could be a longer sweeping corner, reduced radius, where you don't really see the exit, you are riding the outside.

It would be cool to have an app to go through various scenarios and practice visually that should be able to translate to helping improve reading the proper lines...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I Think it could be dangerous to have a app like that ,itv might be ok on a track where corners are all the same ,
but on the roads each corner must taken has you come up to them

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I spend the winter, non-riding, months to brush up on the riding techniques that I should execute when riding. I read and study these over and over.

During the riding season I have certain places I ride to and spend the day practice riding. Sometimes it's challenging roads or huge parking lots where I set up cones and flags.

The books I have include illustrations for the lines to ride through curves. An App if done correctly could show how to ride those lines with the correct body positioning. When describing these maneuvers the text can become a little convoluted. In many cases it would be better 'explained' with a picture or animated sequence that could be examined step by step. Highlighting could more accurately depict when and how to adjust body movements and positioning.

Are you planning on creating this App? I would be interested in one if it existed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spend the winter, non-riding, months to brush up on the riding techniques that I should execute when riding. I read and study these over and over.

During the riding season I have certain places I ride to and spend the day practice riding. Sometimes it's challenging roads or huge parking lots where I set up cones and flags.

The books I have include illustrations for the lines to ride through curves. An App if done correctly could show how to ride those lines with the correct body positioning. When describing these maneuvers the text can become a little convoluted. In many cases it would be better 'explained' with a picture or animated sequence that could be examined step by step. Highlighting could more accurately depict when and how to adjust body movements and positioning.

Are you planning on creating this App? I would be interested in one if it existed.

I don't have the expertise to create the app. But i think it would be cool if one existed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists test of motorcycle riding in the UK. which is based on a book called roadcraft, for which there is a car and motorcycle version. The Roadcraft book is based on UK police training and includes such things as vanishing points and road position for best vision etc.
Don't know if there is an equivalent for the USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shawn:
It is not an app but it exists.
David Hough has written some very useful books that will help.

Proficient Motorcycling:
Street Strategies:

Both of these can be had for pennies used on amazon.
Street strategies in particular has many real case scenarios that you can think through.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Motorcycle simulator games kinda do the same thing. I recall one I used to play years ago on my old PS2 called Tourist Trophy. It was made by the same folks who made Gran Turismo. There was a line you had to follow on the course. If you went in too hot or too slow, you wouldn't make it and you had to start over. Man, I wish my PS2 didn't crap out. I used to love that game.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Shawn:
It is not an app but it exists.
David Hough has written some very useful books that will help.

Proficient Motorcycling:
Street Strategies:

Both of these can be had for pennies used on amazon.
Street strategies in particular has many real case scenarios that you can think through.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.
I second Hough's books. They will help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts