Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, so... after looking around and being disappointed with the limited air filter selection currently available, I've decided to go on my own and build one. Not that the options are bad, but if someone else has opted for an off the shelf upgrade, there are really only a handful of options and they all carry a hefty price tag as well.

So here's the plan... Take your typical round K&N style filter for a small block Chevy, turn it on it's side and zip tie it to the throttle bodies and call it a day... :laugh2:

I have begun on the build and while I wait for the 9" round air filter to get delivered next week, I got started on construction of the backing plate. I want to keep all of the functionality of the current air box... 2 vent hoses the IAT all being connected to the backing plate.

Plate is pretty much done and now just need to affix it to the back of the filter housing and bolt her up. What do you guys think?

:nerd:

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,916 Posts
There are 2 or 3 build threads here somewhere where guys made their own intake.

I always like it when people make their own stuff like that. It's very cool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good so far I did something similar for my vn2000

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
That's basically what I'm going with... But a slightly larger variant. Did you do a steel backing pate or aluminum? The aluminum I am using was easy to work with, but wasn't sure how well it would hold up over time. Luckily, due to the size of the filter, I am able to use the 2 previous air box mount holes on each of the jugs for some extra rigidity. So I'm hoping for the best. Lol

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
That's basically what I'm going with... But a slightly larger variant. Did you do a steel backing pate or aluminum? The aluminum I am using was easy to work with, but wasn't sure how well it would hold up over time. Luckily, due to the size of the filter, I am able to use the 2 previous air box mount holes on each of the jugs for some extra rigidity. So I'm hoping for the best. Lol
I used the adapter base from another aftermarket air cleaner, then made up an aluminum backing plate

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the adapter base from another aftermarket air cleaner, then made up an aluminum backing plate

Ah I see. And from the looks of it, It looks pretty solid.

I also see you opted for removing the secondary butterfly's... I've been debating on whether or not to do it. I've read a few threads on the subject, but just haven't decided...

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Ah I see. And from the looks of it, It looks pretty solid.

I also see you opted for removing the secondary butterfly's... I've been debating on whether or not to do it. I've read a few threads on the subject, but just haven't decided...
Yup, it's holding up well. To be honest, I didn't notice much difference with them removed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!

The build itself has come to an end! The 9" air filter fit perfectly and modifying the backing plate to fit wen't very smooth. All in all, she seems to be breathing great! Thankfully my PCIII also came in and is now all wired up. Now I just have to get a map in there until I can get her on a dyno and properly tuned.

Here is what the bottom/backside of the filter housing looked like when I got it. OBVIOUSLY that wasn't going to work and the raised lip had to go.

Once the work was done to the filter housing, fitting the backing plate I made earlier in the week was easy. Using some quality liquid gasket and running two good heavy solid lines will ensure nothing gets through along with adding some rigidity (and piece of mind) with a few pop rivets... She was ready to mount!

All in all after letting the sealant set, everything bolted up nicely! The leg clearance was pretty perfect as well. Not it's just a giant Chrome disk on the side, and needs something to break it up... not sure what just yet... thoughts?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Update!!

The build itself has come to an end! The 9" air filter fit perfectly and modifying the backing plate to fit wen't very smooth. All in all, she seems to be breathing great! Thankfully my PCIII also came in and is now all wired up. Now I just have to get a map in there until I can get her on a dyno and properly tuned.

Here is what the bottom/backside of the filter housing looked like when I got it. OBVIOUSLY that wasn't going to work and the raised lip had to go.

Once the work was done to the filter housing, fitting the backing plate I made earlier in the week was easy. Using some quality liquid gasket and running two good heavy solid lines will ensure nothing gets through along with adding some rigidity (and piece of mind) with a few pop rivets... She was ready to mount!

All in all after letting the sealant set, everything bolted up nicely! The leg clearance was pretty perfect as well. Not it's just a giant Chrome disk on the side, and needs something to break it up... not sure what just yet... thoughts?

Good work!! Don't know what to recommend to break up the expanse of chrome, but it was something I was worried about when I was doing mine, which is why I went with the 6"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good work!! Don't know what to recommend to break up the expanse of chrome, but it was something I was worried about when I was doing mine, which is why I went with the 6"

I'd like to maybe do a decal or something on the cover. Possibly the infamous "125ci" or something like that. But I would need to have something unique and custom cut.

Do we have any decal makers on this forum? :smile2:

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
I'd like to maybe do a decal or something on the cover. Possibly the infamous "125ci" or something like that. But I would need to have something unique and custom cut.

I've been looking for this exact thing since I finished mine

·
4,916 Posts

My wife does all that type of stuff... let's see if the below picture will show up.

How hot does that get? I really don't remember if the intake get's a lot of heat from the engine or not.. would it melt a decal though?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
My wife does all that type of stuff... let's see if the below picture will show up.

How hot does that get? I really don't remember if the intake get's a lot of heat from the engine or not.. would it melt a decal though?

Well that's cool! Heat isn't an issue I had some decals on mine for awhile with no issues

·
4,916 Posts
Actually, what would look cool.. this is the wife and I at the Lone Star Rally back in Nov. She made the below shirt.

the back of the shirt has the picture of her sitting on my bike with the "the two things I ride the most" below it.. but for the front, she also made the above graphic and put it where the pocket would be.

She made both those decals and heat pressed them onto the shirt for me.

That image on the front of that shirt would look really cool on your circle intake.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, what would look cool.. this is the wife and I at the Lone Star Rally back in Nov. She made the below shirt.

the back of the shirt has the picture of her sitting on my bike with the "the two things I ride the most" below it.. but for the front, she also made the above graphic and put it where the pocket would be.

She made both those decals and heat pressed them onto the shirt for me.

That image on the front of that shirt would look really cool on your circle intake.

That's actually pretty damn cool bud. I'd be down for the "125 V" logo... without the Size Matters bottom rocker. Could she do it in Black? Let me know what she would charge me for that? It would need to be roughly 6" tall.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing tho... and I just noticed it... It should read "125ci" your shirt says "125cc"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OOOOMMMMMGGGGG

I never noticed that. Your right.

That's actually funny.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

But in all seriousness, I like the design. Let me know how much for a decal (or maybe a few)

·
4,916 Posts
That's actually pretty damn cool bud. I'd be down for the "125 V" logo... without the Size Matters bottom rocker. Could she do it in Black? Let me know what she would charge me for that? It would need to be roughly 6" tall.

https://www.facebook.com/glitternmoredesigns/?fref=ts

That's her facebook business page. She's pretty good about returning messages, but keep in mind, she does work a normal job, so it may be in the evening before she responds.

i don't know how much she will charge, and I'm not going to speak for her (her business, not mine), but based on her other stuff, it will be trivial compared to what you've invested so far.

I DO know, she's going to want exact measurements of the diameter of that inner circle, and the size of that center piece (it will interfere with things).

If you really want it done spot on, you should arrange to send her the part, so she can truly fit the size.

And she can do whatever color you wanna... just message her.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
https://www.facebook.com/glitternmoredesigns/?fref=ts

That's her facebook business page. She's pretty good about returning messages, but keep in mind, she does work a normal job, so it may be in the evening before she responds.

i don't know how much she will charge, and I'm not going to speak for her (her business, not mine), but based on her other stuff, it will be trivial compared to what you've invested so far.

I DO know, she's going to want exact measurements of the diameter of that inner circle, and the size of that center piece (it will interfere with things).

If you really want it done spot on, you should arrange to send her the part, so she can truly fit the size.

And she can do whatever color you wanna... just message her.

PERFECT! Will do. Thanks Smedlin! :nerd:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts