Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Yall

Hoping someone whose done this before could answer this question. My winter project has been a 1997 VN 1500-C. The PO told me that the bike would slip out of second gear. I Split the crankcase and found / replaced bad second gear with worn gear dogs / its mating gear. I replaced a whole bunch of other stuff like the POG which is metal now, new piston rings gaskets and stuff without any issues. I've reassembled the engine up to the rocker cases. I am wondering if a silicone sealant needs to be used on just the cam shaft oil plugs, or the full sealing area of the rocker cases?

The service manual says "Apply silicone sealant to the mating surface of the rocker case and the camshaft oil seal." I am assuming that means the entire sealing surface of the rocker case as there is no gasket here, but I am afraid of getting sealant near the camshaft and gumming everything up. I dont think its very clear the way they said that. Do they mean just the sealing area of the oil plug or the whole dang rocker case sealing area to the whole dang cylinder head sealing area?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
From the parts break down it shows no gasket as you said. I know the cam plugs need sealing but ui wonder it the rest is a michined fit ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the question. I suppose a little sealant couldn't hurt. I actually took a closer look and it appears some sort of sealant was used there in the past. I would just hate to put the engine back in the bike and find out later that theres a leak and have to take it back out again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Use Yamabond or something equivalent on the cover, a very thin film. Don't smear it on, you don't want it in your motor. Permatex motoseal also works well. Use good silicon like the copper high heat on the cam seals, again don't over do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use Yamabond or something equivalent on the cover, a very thin film. Don't smear it on, you don't want it in your motor. Permatex motoseal also works well. Use good silicon like the copper high heat on the cam seals, again don't over do it.
I'll agree with that yamabond is very good stuff i sealed case halves together on an ATVs with it after having them apart. Like he said very thin coat, i think Honda makes a similar product tooif either dealer is nearby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got everything put back together and the bike runs on starter fluid!

Now I seem to be having trouble with the fuel pump. it is not pumping fuel or making any noises even after I hit the starter button. There does seem to be 12 V at the connector from the wiring harness. I bought a cheapo used fuel pump which doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still trying to button a few things up with this project but Ive been sort of stuck for a while now. The bike starts fine and runs great at low rpms, but when I give it some gas and hit anything above 50% throttle the bike hesitates big time. It doesn't slow down it just wont go any faster. Then when I decelerate and let off the throttle it will pop on deceleration big time. I think it may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but I am also starting to suspect ignition coils. I've just been spraying around with brake cleaner trying to hear the engine change idle speed, but I just cannot find anything obvious. I did hear a tiny idle speed the last time I checked this but i couldn't quite nail down where it was coming from. This happened when I sprayed somewhere around the top of the air box surge tank area. I am planning to try this again tonight with the gas tank off so I can get a better look. I think maybe the rubber o ring which holds the rubber tube going to the rear vacuum switch might have gotten old and tired and is letting air past under heavy vacuum where the rubber pipe onnects to the air box? Also could not having the chrome ear air filter cover on and just the air filter be messing me with while I am troubleshooting? Im not sure how to determine if the coils are suspect. I checked them for resistance and they tested ok according to the book but other threads mentioned that these readings should be taken with a grain of salt. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts