Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Progressive Suspension 465 Installation

Now that my wife is riding with me (2-up) I decided to try Progressives 465 suspension. It promotes a better coil over spring, gas charged, and rebound adjustment.

Installation is quite simple (easy in fact). Start by removing the side covers (both sides). Also, states to remove the coolant reservoir tank (but, this too is not in the way, though I did then realized not required).

IMG_0078-R.jpg

Place the bike on a motorcycle jack, or lift table (if you use a lift table you will also need a scissor jack to raise the back wheel off the table (this will remove any weight or kenetic energy off the shock). If you have a service manual it tells you to:
1) remove exhaust (why? absolutely is not in the way)
2) remove top mounting bolt, but leave in place until you are ready to remove the shock.

Pic-1-R.jpg

3) bottom mounting bolt
4) torsion bar bolt

Pic-2-R.jpg

Once the bolts are ready to be removed, remove the bottom bolt first, then the torsion bolt. This will allow the suspension linkage to swing free and shock to hang free by the top bolt. Hold the shock from the bottom, remove the top bolt (all will slide out very easy), and gently remove the shock out through the bottom of the bike.

IMG_0081-R.jpg

Installation is reverse order.
1) Gently bring the new shock up through the bottom, and install the top mounting bolt (place the nut on just for security).

IMG_0082-R.jpg

2) Align the torsion bar and linkage and install bolt.
3) Align bottom of shock and install bolt
4) Torque all bolts/nuts to 44 ftlb

Okay, now for the fun part… setting the sag. Let me start by stating this is a BIG PITA…. The adjusters are inside the frame well below the OEM shock.

Before installing the shock loosen the lock ring (if you have to make an adjustment)

Highly recommend starting the factory setting (how it came in the box) and work from there. Follow the sag adjustment as outlined on their web-site (I did speak with one of their support tech’s and he suggested ¾” of sag for a cruiser), I ended up at 7/8”.

It comes with a spanner tool (attaches to a 3/8th drive ratchet & allen wrench for the rebound adjustment. To use the spanner tool I used a universal joint & 12” extension. This will allow small adjustments at a time. Be very, very patient….

Rebound adjustment very easy and is performed at the bottom of the shock from the right side (this can be performed any time anywhere from underneath the bike. I left mine set at the 3 position.

Will update performance feedback over the next few weeks….

But, for now, did a 20 mile test ride, and there is a difference. Tested over a road I know very well, and new the spot that would bounce me off the seat. I hit these spots as I would any other time, and no bucking. In fact, a smoother ride all together, and I believe it’s the rebound + gas charged. You just don’t have that quick return of the shock when hitting big bumps. Next testing will be two up riding and what the wife thinks….

Hope this helps those that are considering replacing the OEM shock.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully I will be able to get out on Saturday for a 200-300 mile day and test this out (solo). To be honest I was not sure what to expect, but the short test ride I did last night I did notice a smoother ride with a lot less bounce. But, I will know more after the weekend.

Don't believe you'll have a cushy ride (it's a mono-shock & lite bike) like a heavier touring bike. Being a solo rider you could set the preload softer, and with the rebound adjustment may give you a more cushy ride over stock.

This one section of our local back road has a nasty set of asphalt snakes (like woops for a dirt bike) that would bounce me all over the place. Rolled over these very well (still felt them, but NO bounce).

We didn't seem to have too many (if any) on this forum that had made this change, so I thought might was well be the first.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah thanks Bosco,
I cant wait to hear what you think of it after a good ride. I have been looking at getting this shock in a 1" lower than stock. I want to lower the bike a bit as the Mustang seat and the 170 tyre have made the bike a bit higher in the seat height department. Do you know anywhere that has a good price on them? they are ridiculously expensive for 1 shock absorber.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thanks Bosco,
I cant wait to hear what you think of it after a good ride. I have been looking at getting this shock in a 1" lower than stock. I want to lower the bike a bit as the Mustang seat and the 170 tyre have made the bike a bit higher in the seat height department. Do you know anywhere that has a good price on them? they are ridiculously expensive for 1 shock absorber.
Did a 250 mile ride today (solo) up through our local mountains. I really like the ride this shock provides. No bucking over bumps. It keeps the bike planted on the road. In the past our 91 fwy would bounce me around a bit, and on todays ride it was very comfortable. Don't get me wrong you still feel the road and bumps, it just doesn't bounce me in the saddle. Actually, my back even feels better after the day.

As for handling in the mountains, excellent. Found it entering and exiting corners to hold really well. I still have the rebound set at 3 (middle position).

Hope to test in 2-up riding when the weather gets a bit cooler with the wife.

I purchased mine through Motorcycle Superstore (no tax, free shipping), and yes they are pricey, but was willing to take the risk if the ride is improved for 2-up.

More to come after a 2-up test ride.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I promised a follow up review, so here it is....

Great weather this weekend, so I got the wife out for a good ride today and to see how the new shock performed with 2 up riding. After 10 miles my wife says the bike is much smoother over the bumps, and (her words) no more pogo stick out of the seat. So, she is very pleased with the new ride performance. What I felt riding 2 up was a very cushy smooth side over bumps. Once we got out on the interstate it was like riding in a car, all the bumps felt really soft and smooth (felt like an air ride suspension). I am very pleased with the 2 up performance.

Here's how I have it set up. With the bike under it's own weight (preloads the shock), I have it set up with 7/8" sag when I get aboard. Makes for a god ride solo, and after today a great ride 2 up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's good to hear Bosco, I am finding the same result.
My front springs and 1" lower rear shock turned up 2 days ago. I have been fitting it all this weekend. playing with ride heights etc. First impression of first ride with these is awesome. Will report when finished, in the thread I started, very soon.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I figured since I'm flooding the forum with questions about installing this shock I'd resurrect this thread. (bocos, great write up btw...)

I'm repeating myself but trying to hit as many folks as possible. I see above the shock comes with a "spanner tool" that you can use to adjust the preload. I ask about this because I plan on have a shop install the shock but after that, I'll need to adjust the preload myself when necessary. Just want to confirm that this can be done with this tool, even if difficult and slowly, without removing the shock. I'm getting the 1" lower version of the shock. Not sure if that will make a difference or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts