Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have posted with observations of the Voyager's height. I have the same issue at 5'9" with an inseam of 30" and rider weight of about 170lb. I added an Ultimate seat (very comfortable!) which didn't have any effect on the seat height but is much better than the stock seat. I just put on Progressive 430-4258B rear shocks and what a difference. These will lower the rear about 1 inch which is enough for me to comfortably get my feet firmly planted for stops. There is no appreciable difference in steering geometry but the rake and trail does change a fraction. I haven't noticed any difference in handling. The rear handles more like my VTX - not as much bounce and the ride appears to be slightly stiffer which is nice in curves. The preload is adjustable from 1 - 4 and comes preset at 4 (lowest). I bumped it up to 3 and so far, so good.

The install was quite simple but for all the bodywork that needs to come off to get at the top shock mount. One word of warning: If you do like hauling ass in the twisties, you are going to scrape the left muffler heat shield up near the crossover pipe.

For those of you who are vertically challenged, this is a great mod. Phat Performance gave the best price I could find and were great to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
How has this affected your turning? Are the floorboards easier to rub? I am interested in lowering the bike and getting better handling, but I don't want to lose the turning ability.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Does anyone know if the Progressive 430-4258B rear shocks will fit a 2013 Nomad 1700?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time I have scraped the boards is going into roundabouts a little too hot. I haven't experienced the humps at gas station entrances or speed bumps (we don't have many of them in MA)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think this is what I need. I'm only about 5.6 and backing out the driveway is always a pain in the ..especially when the pavement is uneven. Is it difficult replacing the stock air shocks with these? Do you have to modify bolts/nuts, etc.? also do you need to lift the bike? I saw the part on E-bay but they go with different lengths. Do you know what lenght for a 2011 Nomad 1700 (not a Vaquero). Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure of the stock length of the rear shocks on the Nomad; the Voyager is 14". I would give a call to Progressive Suspension (number above in a previous post) and ask them.

The installation itself is about a 1/2 hour job and does require raising the rear of the bike so that the rear wheel is off the ground. I have a motorcycle lift jack so it was fairly easy. If you plan to do much of your own maintenance, it's a good investment. The longest part of the install is the removal/reinstallation of the bags, trunk and associated trim on the Voyager; that adds about 1 hour to the job. Having a second scissor jack or floor jack will help because you will have to raise the swingarm/wheel due to the shorter length of the Progressive shocks.

The shocks come from the vendor with four inserts, one for each shock mounting eye and two spacers which go on the top mounting studs. You will need the following: ratchet, 10mm socket (bags), 17mm socket (shock mounts), hex key for the trim bolts, Phillips screwdriver for trim bolts, a piece of 550 cord or bungee to hold the front brake in; it prevents the bike from moving and possibly falling off the jack.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure of the stock length of the rear shocks on the Nomad; the Voyager is 14". I would give a call to Progressive Suspension (number above in a previous post) and ask them.

The installation itself is about a 1/2 hour job and does require raising the rear of the bike so that the rear wheel is off the ground. I have a motorcycle lift jack so it was fairly easy. If you plan to do much of your own maintenance, it's a good investment. The longest part of the install is the removal/reinstallation of the bags, trunk and associated trim on the Voyager; that adds about 1 hour to the job. Having a second scissor jack or floor jack will help because you will have to raise the swingarm/wheel due to the shorter length of the Progressive shocks.

The shocks come from the vendor with four inserts, one for each shock mounting eye and two spacers which go on the top mounting studs. You will need the following: ratchet, 10mm socket (bags), 17mm socket (shock mounts), hex key for the trim bolts, Phillips screwdriver for trim bolts, a piece of 550 cord or bungee to hold the front brake in; it prevents the bike from moving and possibly falling off the jack.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Mine is not a Vaquero so no trunk to disassemble. I also have a lift but hasn't use it since I traded my Vstar last yr. You mentioned spacers for the top studs. Do these come with the kit or I have to provide my own? So without adjustments on the front forks, the bike still run ok? Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts