Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 classic 1500 and want to change oil and switch to progressive springs. Has anyone ever put progressive springs in and not pulled the dampen rod out? I have to old springs out and the service manual says to add 396ml of new oil to the tubes. But I have no seal leaks and dont want to pull the tubes out. I followed gadgets fix it page to pull the springs and in his write up he says that its a good time to swithch to progressive springs would like to put the springs in but not to disasemble the whole tubes. Any information will be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive had this bike 6 years now and never had the forks apart and when I took the top caps off I did not find any spacers in it at all unless there is something down below the oil level and there was no washer on top of my springs. Something is different mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got 29.5 oz. sucked out of the tubes total. I wonder if there is another aftermarket spring that may have been used because I found no 4" spacer or washer on top of the spring.
Gadgets instructions for the progressive installation says to use or cut spacer to 3.5" and put on top of progressive spring. he says nothing about the dampener. any thoughts out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine looks just like the 3rd picture down on the pdf. chrome cap then the retaining ring the top plug and o-ring then the spring. I dont see a washer on top of the spring just like mine. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucked out all the fluid in the tubes, I got just over 16oz per tube, added just under 16oz in each tube then cut the provided 4" spacers down to 3.5" and it just high enough to put some spring tension on the plug when I go to put it in I also added a washer on top of the spring.
Ill post back about the ride when riding season is here. I live in Michigan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts