Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Progressive 465 rear shock and new front coils

5K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Greg Mathison Sr 
#1 ·
i have read everything there is to read on this forum about these two mods, but the answers are about six years old.
Has anyone been running The Progressive 465 rear shock (I thought 1 inch lower because my mustang seat made it a little
higher, and it would be easier to hop on) as well as the front coils? I have read that the rear shock is an easy do it yourself; and there is
pictures and instructions for this (love this forum). I am about 225, and ride alone. My back is terrible, and the crummy bumps do hurt.
Since it seems to have been awhile since this has been mentioned, I thought maybe someone might already have an idea where I should put the settings
on this shock, and save me the hassle of trying to adjust after. I have read I do not need the SAG (whatever that is). The shocks (1 inch lower) are on sale
here in Canada for $465, so I am buying it now. Other places have them at $700-$750. I will get the pro's to install the front coils.
Any new info for me , or settings with my setup? I have not heard anything but positive about doing the change, but I bet someone
could save me alot of work by having my settings for the shock and installing once.....I feel that that will prolong my riding career with everything
else I have done to the bike. It is a terrifc bike and comfortable with my mods. Just the bumps........
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome! I am a heavy rider and hope to take some longer trips next year. I have the bike configued nicely, can ride a couple hours. I love the bike, and the weight is perfect for my messed up back. I knew I would spend a lot of money to get this bike where I wanted it, and was/am prepared to do that. Anything to keep and enjoy riding. This is the last major mod I will be doing I think, and it will make this beautiful bike perfect fpr me; can't wait.
I am really hoping someone has some good numbers with the RAP and the rest to put in, and hopefully be able to leave them at that setting. I will call Progressive, but there is nothing like words from people who did it before you....

#5 ·

That's the link....sometimes on sites when your looking for a part you have to put in for the year 2015 or lower. The sellers sometimes don't update too quick. There has been nothing new on our bikes for a LONG time, so this is the part. They sold out of "stock" size shock; I wanted an inch lower so I was OK, that one was still in stock. I got the Baron front springs......is that what you got? That's all I could find for our bike, progressive (which is just Kawasaki under another name) used to have a set as well, but I can't find them anymore......

#11 ·
Maeg....you are absolutely correct!!! FortNine sent me an e-mail saying that they mislabeled the information, and they have NO shock for our motorcycle. I cancelled the front springs as well.....back to the drawing board; I guess now I will have to start researching this forum for what a difference in back tire makes, maybe a bigger one is my only solution.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a bad back so my searching is for that reason; but I have never heard anyone complain of doing that modification. I got both front and back for $650 tax in shipped. I didn't think I would ever get a good deal like that again. The back shock is usually like $700-$750 alone, and a very simple change even I can do. I will have to pay for front springs though, rather they were done by the pro's.

#10 ·
Nope. Standard OEM tires. I did alot of research on this forum, and bottoming out surely won't be an issue. One inch lowering is nothing, and these shocks are actually shock absorbers. The OEM ones can't be adjusted for softness; before I bought I had them put it to the "softest" setting, which just raises it up or down; there is no damper control. I was hoping to get some more info on where to set it before I install it, because you pretty much need to take it out again to adjust it. Progressive says 3/4 to one inch, I am thinking 7/8's and leave it on the 3 setting it comes with. They are also supposed to be set for the specific bike its going to. I assure you, if I didn't bottom out on the OEM's then I won't on these. I am positive they will take the bump without the jarring up your spine, just like others who have put it in before me have said.

#15 · (Edited)
Dood! Finally talked to someone who knows what they are talking about, and puts money where their mouth is!
I researched "autoevolution" online. Nothing has been changed on our bikes...like....nothing, except the stator fix of 2008-9. I checked as far back as 2006 (first year of production). It also had a great page of 2012 - present (and they meant 2019), and no changes. Especially in the front and rear suspension. The Progressive 465 Part # 465-1171B (which is one inch lower, which is what I wanted) DOES fit our bike. The front Progressive Fork Spring kit (Part # 11-1145) DOES fit our bikes.
I ran across Heritagecycle.ca here in Canada, and I have been e-mailing their main guy and he assures me they will both fit, as stated on most search sites. For some reason, FortNine and even Progressive have backed off and are saying that they "could" fit and that would be "great", but they can't recommend it. Progressive and FortNine were not very nice about it either; their e-mails were very sarcastic. Maybe they had a lawsuit or something, which changed their stance to "can't recommend".
Heritage cycle now gets all my business. I bought the Progressive front fork kit there, and asked if he could reduce the price of the rear shock to FortNine's price, and he met it!!! (within two bucks!!). He also said he would measure the springs and lathe cut the spacers for me (if required), as well as check the shock's settings to ensure that they are set for the VN900, something Progressive used to do I guess. Great guy! And.....that price was not just for me...$458 is now the price for everyone!
You can also get the Baron's front fork lowering kit, but it says it lowers it 1 and a half inches. I could not get a straight answer if that meant from one inch TO an inch and a half, or just an inch and a half.
Anyways, just as my "new" guy states, this finally makes sense with all the research I have been doing as well.
The one thing I would do if ANYONE wants to do this mod, is to do it quickly. It appears that other brands of shocks:
(Ohlin's...etc) are not making anymore to fit the VN900. I think that Progressive may be getting out of the game too; these shock's and springs are getting hard to find.
Anyway, thought I should pass it on: this is gonna make my ride WAY better on my back (I did adjust the OEM shock to no avail), and like "greyhairedgoon" on the 2013 thread, I am gonna reap the benefits of his exact mod too!
I always thought I would have to change the suspension and was prepared to spend the money. I had no idea it would be this hard though!

#14 ·
You probably did. The part number I used has been installed on 900's numerous times; I confirmed that with a look in this forum. I even called Progressive and they said "they can't recommend", but it could work. Off this forum, mostly 5 years ago when it was discussed, ALOT of people put the Progressive 465 1 inch lower shock on. They all said easy install and worked great. Nothing has changed on the 900 for a LONG time so I am sure it fits.I will check with my mechanic when he gets back from a fall ride.......Here is an older post with pics on the install:

#17 ·
Very interesting.
So it is 3050-103 shock fro progressive. Not Part # 465-1171B as they said for vn900 before.
Very interesting.
Denali1234 please vrote review after you installed it.
Does it fit boltthroug or any modification required.
And if all go well - your impression about it, please

#18 ·
Very interesting.
So it is 3050-103 shock fro progressive. Not Part # 465-1171B as they said for vn900 before.
Very interesting.
Denali1234 please vrote review after you installed it.
Does it fit boltthroug or any modification required.
And if all go well - your impression about it, please
It is the part number 465-1171. There is no "B" after it anymore. This is the one with a 1 inch drop. Not sure what that other number is on that paper.
I will for sure give a review of both the front and back progressive shocks. Now with the new airbox and Ivan's amazing flash, the bike is everything I wanted and more in driveability . I knew with my back I would have to spend some money in a bit with shocks, but I didn't think it would be this soon. Some guys are happy withe the OEM shock, but I had mine adjusted soft when I bought it, and it just slams over bumps. I am really hopeful, especially after talking to people on the forum who have done it, that it will be really nice after the installation.

#19 ·
The review on this change: Amazing! Like a different bike. No more slamming over bumps, the shock actually absorbs it. Even the front spring feel better, and cornering and such feels so much better! No more pogo sticking. Honestly, it is amazing the difference in my bike since the Cobra Air Intake, Ivan's flash, and now changing the suspension. Now for me, it is perfect.
Well almost........Hogtunes now has a bluetooth awesome sound system that is made specifically for the Memphis shade batwings, They fit perfectly in, look great, reviews are great and installs in 30 minutes! Next spring...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.