Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through the forums about these and have found some info, but it seems to be conflicting a bit.

I am trying to find the right PS part number for a 430 shock for a 2009 1700 Classic. Most of the threads I've seen have been about Voyagers and Nomads.

Some people are mounting 430-4219, some are mounting 430-4259, and some are using 430-4258. This last one is the only recommendation on the PS website for the Vulcan 1700, and they only have a recommendation for the Voyager. I can't find anything about the 4259 on their site at all. The 4219 is only 12.5" and I think I'd rather not drop the bike that extra 1/2" if I can avoid it, unless someone else has done it on a classic and can verify it's good for 2-up riding with a little cargo.

So, the question is: does anyone know the difference between these different part numbers? Will they all fit? I've sent an email to progressive about it, but figured someone here might know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I installed the 430-4219 shocks on my bike today. I found that when using these, you will need some washers or something to use as spacers on the top mount. I used three M14 washers on each side (2 on the bike side of the shock to space it away from the bike and 1 on the outside of the shock). Eventually I might take it back off and paint those washers on the outside to make them less noticeable.

An inch and a half drop makes a big difference, by the way. I haven't ridden enough to determine if I love it or hate it. I love the look of them, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SolasVegas

question, do you remember what size of spacer/washer you used for the top mount
for the 430-4219 shocks . I'm thinking of lowering my 1700 classic LT . I assume the spacers that come with the shocks are not the correct size for the classic....Thanks

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
He used (3) M14 washers. 2 on the back of shock, 1 in the front

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
As a FYI... I called Progressive and asked about using the 4219s on a Voyager. They recommended against it because the rated low (210/250 lbs) and it was only 1/2 lower than the 4258. The 4258 was rated 200/350 lbs. There was also more travel in the 4219.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the information . I have not replaced shocks in a long time . Just wanted to make sure I understood what was needed .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts