Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Scootworks lowering kit on (2"), and set my shock on the 2nd to the stiffest setting. I am having problems with the rear wheel bottoming out when my wife and I ride 2 up. From what I can see, it doesn't look like the new trailing link affects the travel of th shock so I don't think it's the shock bottoming. It sounds like a plasticy "pop" most of the time, so I think the tire might be hitting the splash guard. Any way to remedy this? I really don't want to cut the guard (won't that let water in where it shouldn't go?). A slghtly longer belt seems like it would work, but it sounds like they're not to be found. I think I may be stuck going to a 1" drop.

Also, when I adjusted the shock it was almost imposiible to move. I ended up getting a pipe wrench on it to get the coller thingy to turn. Don't know if this could matter.

BTW, I weigh 180 and the wife is 130. Please don't tell her I told you.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, with 310 pounds on the bike you should have that shock set on the top position, it's supposed to be on 4-5 for a 145 pound rider.

Did you have the rear end of the bike jacked up when you adjusted the shock? Most of the times when people have reported problems adjusting it they hadn't jacked the bike up. It doesn't tell you to do that in the book, but it sure makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, with 310 pounds on the bike you should have that shock set on the top position, it's supposed to be on 4-5 for a 145 pound rider.

Did you have the rear end of the bike jacked up when you adjusted the shock? Most of the times when people have reported problems adjusting it they hadn't jacked the bike up. It doesn't tell you to do that in the book, but it sure makes a difference.
Yeah, I had it up on a lift, with the swingarm hanging. I tried another time to get it to the top spot, but I couldn't move it. It's going in for tires (gettin' my whitewalls!) and an oil change, so I'll have them look at it. If they can move it that'll be good. If something's wrong with it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
2nd on cutting the inner splash. I lowered mine 3" and cut the top of the splash in a v shape. And toss the shock tool and use a big pair of channel locks to turn it. Oh ya and dont ride 2 up and lower it it sucks:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts