Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Vulcan 750 which I just turned over 3000 original miles. I tried riding with some friends Sunday and it started stalling at the lights and spitting and sputtering so I turned back to go home. It seems like the fan isn't coming on properly causing excessive heat which in turn seems to cause the vaporlocking problem? Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
No. With just the little bit that you've mentioned, its rather difficult to make too much of a diagnosis.

So, for giggles, some questions:

So the first question is if you've had the chance to drain/flush/refill the cooling system? Since this is such a low mileage bike, I'm wondering if its not running the original coolant. When I did mine about 4 years back I was dumping the original fluid out of mine. Never again will I let it go that long before changing it out. Probably next summer I'll drain and refill again.

I used Engine Ice to put into it but there are threads in here about different coolant choices. It's not difficult to do but it will take time to do, so plan on an almost all day affair (most spent waiting for it to cool down again). I also recommend just changing out the thermostat out also. Your hoses are probably fine. There are five hoses and I changed all of mine but once removed, they were in really good shape. Regardless, I know that as of such-n-such date my cooling system was thoroughly refurbished.

I've got pictures of the operation if you'd like to see.

Second question is when the bike is hot and you turn it off, can you hear the fan running? Its normal for the fan to run sometimes past the time of the engine running. Like in a car, the fan being on or off isn't such a big deal when you're running (moving) and there is ram-air going through the radiator. The fan is for when the machine isn't moving or is running slowly such as stop-n-go traffic.

Third question is what is your temp gauge reading during the offending times? "Normal" operating indications are generally with the needle halfway or a bit further. If its all the way over then there's definitely some heat there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tested the thermostat and it tests good. I added one bottle of engine ice to the coolant system. Wasnt sure if you could use just that w/o any normal coolant. The temp gauge reads a little over mid way but not pegged out hot when the problems occur.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So then the question - Why are you blaming it on the cooling system?
If your system is full, meaning you take the radiator cap off and its full and the over flow tank is at the correct level,
Maybe you have a different problem.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Perhaps, thinking in a direction away from the cooling system, there is some gunk in the carbs. In that case try putting SeaFoam in the tank, as per the directions on the can. An additional ounce or two won't hurt, either.

Is this a recurring issue or was it just the one time?

Are the air filters cleaned/oiled?
- This past winter, apparently during my machine's down time, the original foam filters finally gave up the ghost and disintegrated. So I shelled out for new foam and a two part foam cleaner/oiler, all from e-bay.

There are a few ways to attend to dirt-in-carb issues before the dreaded pull-the-carbs moment comes. First is the easiest: SeaFoam in the tank. Next would be to drain the gas from the carbs (of course remembering to shut off the gas flow first). Another thing-to-do is to do a "blow back" of the carbs in an effort to dislodge whatever offending dirt clod is making a nuisance of itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts