Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - we live in Calgary, AB - and just bought a couple of 2010 900 LT classics a few weeks ago - love them! We've only put on about 300 km on the bikes...but we've commonly both experienced inconsistencies in shifting into
5th. Called the dealer and they told us this was common with the v900...that we had to be between 85km and 95 km to shift. I was going 100km the other day and still couldn't shift into 5th. Sometimes it does work....is this normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a new 2009 Vulcan 900 LT with about 1k miles and have not had that experience.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Sometimes it does work....is this normal
In a nutshell .... no.

I have a new 2010 custom 900 (under 400 kms), no issues and a 09 classic (now 23000 kms) and never had a shifting issue. It may be a clutch adjustment or shifter adjustment issue. I shift into 5th around 80 to 90 kms per hour My classic runs full synthetic oil and my custom is yet to have the OEM stuff changed out of it.

They obviously did not PDI the bike properly. The 9 is a great bike, it is mechanically noisy, the tranny does clunck but it does know how to go into 5th. Take it back to them and have them test ride it.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Might it be your shifting techniques if you're experiencing the same problem with both bikes?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi - we live in Calgary, AB - and just bought a couple of 2010 900 LT classics a few weeks ago - love them! We've only put on about 300 km on the bikes...but we've commonly both experienced inconsistencies in shifting into
5th. Called the dealer and they told us this was common with the v900...that we had to be between 85km and 95 km to shift. I was going 100km the other day and still couldn't shift into 5th. Sometimes it does work....is this normal? Thanks!
Sounds like the shift linkage is not allowing the tranny to return to center before the next shift. Try greasing the pivot of the heal-toe shift lever and oil the two heim joints attached to the shift rod. Mine was dry when I took it apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your help!:)
We went out tonight and we had no issues with 5th....very odd. Seems to happen periodically. I will follow all of your advice if we continue to encounter these issues.
BUT I've gotta say....nothing brightens up your day more than when you get onto those babies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts