Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took the side cover where the sight glass is for the coolant overfill tank is and noticed in the bottom of the tank was a bunch of black particles floating around. i then said i need to find out what the hell that is so i flushed out my antifreeze and oh my god!! all kinds of black 1 inch long strips of paint was coming out. i noticed it was from the thermostat housing cover. the part that the radiator cap sets on. the inside of this frickin thing was peeling paint.WHAT THE FU%# WOULD YOU MAKE A DEVICE THAT HOLDS ANTIFREEZE, STRIP PAINT. SO, i flushed and flushed as much as i could out with distilled water. i got it so no more particles where coming out of the system, but that's not counting for all the nooks and crannies in that thing, especially the mechanical seal. just everyone make sure you dont have black particles floating around at the bottom of your reserve antifreeze tanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is the second owner I've read about the black flakes in the cooling system. I guess I need to flush mine and do the coolant fix that RACNRAY has mentioned. Thx.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the second owner I've read about the black flakes in the cooling system. I guess I need to flush mine and do the clooant fix that RACNRAY has mentioned. Thx.
oh really, do you remember who it was? i just took the bike out and on the highway it seems to run a little cooler, but when i got home, i let it idle to see if the fan would kick off and the temp would just hover over that mark past half, it used to get low enough to shut the fan off..... oh oooo

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I just changed out the coolant last weekend in accordance with RACNRAY and didn't have any flakes in the system but had small black grains in reservoir. Sadly I didn't see any drop in temp. :confused:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hers what those flakes look like. they are the same consistency as burnt ash. light and flaky and break apart when you touch them. these are dry ones though. man i hope they dont clog up the radiator or worse, the water jackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
i took the side cover where the sight glass is for the coolant overfill tank is and noticed in the bottom of the tank was a bunch of black particles floating around. i then said i need to find out what the hell that is so i flushed out my antifreeze and oh my god!! all kinds of black 1 inch long strips of paint was coming out. i noticed it was from the thermostat housing cover. the part that the radiator cap sets on. the inside of this frickin thing was peeling paint.WHAT THE FU%# WOULD YOU MAKE A DEVICE THAT HOLDS ANTIFREEZE, STRIP PAINT. SO, i flushed and flushed as much as i could out with distilled water. i got it so no more particles where coming out of the system, but that's not counting for all the nooks and crannies in that thing, especially the mechanical seal. just everyone make sure you dont have black particles floating around at the bottom of your reserve antifreeze tanks
Curious how many miles you have on your ride? Mine only has six grand, but if at least two have had this issue, I may be checking my coolant early.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 9000 on mine, the only reason I flushed and changed is because I seen these in the overflow tank. Been doing research, seems that alot of motorcycles and cars have this paint peeling from inside, mine seems to be running the same, if not cooler then it was.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have an '09 VV with 6,100 miles - just checked the coolant tank on the side of the bike - was very clean, no black flakes at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I decided to change the coolant and go with the 70%/30% mixture (no black flakes), so here's my question. I had no problem draining the system but how the heck do you fill it back up? I added the new mixture to the overflow but how do I fill the radiator? Will the engine vacuum pull it in from the overflow?

thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
The radiator cap is under the tank. You have to take the tank off. And that's not easy if you have not done it before. You will need to do this because you drained the coolant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can't think of a dumber place to put a radiator cap. I think i'll just disconnect the hose at the top right side of the radiator and pump the coolant in from there. If the system works correctly, vacuum should pull the additional in from the overflow tank.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can't think of a dumber place to put a radiator cap. I think i'll just disconnect the hose at the top right side of the radiator and pump the coolant in from there. If the system works correctly, vacuum should pull the additional in from the overflow tank.
If you replace the coolant that way there is a good chance you will not be able to get all the air out of the system. That can lead to overheating. There is only so much space on a motorcycle to put things. You will find out that there will be quite a few things you have to remove or lift the gas tank to repair, install, and do maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If you do that twice with a cool down after a hot run, you might get away with that. But the best way is fill through radiator cap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm do for another oil change, so I think I'll do the coolant as well this time. Will try AMSOIL's coolant

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when i was flushing my system out, i had my gas tank on and off 5 times. i didn't fasten it down every time but i had to keep plugging in the electrical connection and the fuel line each time. the tanks really not that difficult to remove. remove the key bezel, just pry it up, you'll think your breaking it but the more you remove it the easier it comes of the next time. 2 bolts under the seat and the 2 Allen wrench bolts and 10 mm nut holding the trim. take off the gas tank pressure hose under the right side of the tank. prop up the tank with something to get to the electrical connector . then slide the red plastic lock on the fuel line back, this unlocks the connection and the hose slips off the tank nozzle, there will be a little residual fuel spill so have a cloth handy. the tank should be ready to take off. just dont set the tank down on the nozzle that the fuel line goes on. oh, lift the rear of the tank up first then slide the tank towards the rear to clear the rubber dampers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took the suggestion and filled the system through the radiator cap how ever there really is no need to completly remove the tank. Go to Harbor Freight and get your self a $4 hand pump. Now remove the ignition ring, the 2 bolts holding the tank under the seat. Now lift the right side of the tank just enough to remove the rubber hold down strap. Now you can easily remove the radiator cap and pump the coolant in until you feel the level with your finger. I measured my coolant at 2.5 qts exactly to fill the system . Don't waste your time removing hoses and wires that aren't necessary to do this job. It took 15 minutes total.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the suggestion and filled the system through the radiator cap how ever there really is no need to completely remove the tank. Go to Harbor Freight and get your self a $4 hand pump. Now remove the ignition ring, the 2 bolts holding the tank under the seat. Now lift the right side of the tank just enough to remove the rubber hold down strap. Now you can easily remove the radiator cap and pump the coolant in until you feel the level with your finger. I measured my coolant at 2.5 qts exactly to fill the system . Don't waste your time removing hoses and wires that aren't necessary to do this job. It took 15 minutes total.
how does removing the wire harness help with access to the radiator cap?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts