Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have 2009 VN2000. Bike was purchased brand new in 2011 and delivered from USA to Georgia. Bike has a problem from very beginning. There is no similar bike in Georgia and technicians to give me a right answer/advise on my question.
Problem is that the bike with a big V Twin engine can’t move smoothly keeping average RPM necessary for each gear advised by manufacturer. There is more than enough power to move the bike with first gear in and released throttle bar but engine starts jerking after few seconds when throttle released. This violation has negative effect on slow ride when maneuvering in the narrow streets as you understand. Same occurs during riding at high speed. Engine can’t keep average RPM. F. eg. gear must be changed from 3rd to 4th after about 30 km/h according to the Owner’s Manual but bike can’t ride smoothly with recommended 4th gear at speed about 40-45 km/h. Shifting down to 3rd gear increases RPM and it becomes obvious even by sound of the engine RPM is high for this speed.
I’m expecting any recommendation/advise on this question and thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Hi. I have 2009 VN2000. Bike was purchased brand new in 2011 and delivered from USA to Georgia. Bike has a problem from very beginning. There is no similar bike in Georgia and technicians to give me a right answer/advise on my question.
Problem is that the bike with a big V Twin engine can’t move smoothly keeping average RPM necessary for each gear advised by manufacturer. There is more than enough power to move the bike with first gear in and released throttle bar but engine starts jerking after few seconds when throttle released.This violation has negative effect on slow ride when maneuvering in the narrow streets as you understand. Same occurs during riding at high speed. Engine can’t keep average RPM. F. eg. gear must be changed from 3rd to 4th after about 30 km/h according to the Owner’s Manual but bike can’t ride smoothly with recommended 4th gear at speed about 40-45 km/h. Shifting down to 3rd gear increases RPM and it becomes obvious even by sound of the engine RPM is high for this speed.
I’m expecting any recommendation/advise on this question and thank you in advance
Not sure what the problem is but the outlined words should be "Clutch Lever".

Maybe try a feathering of the clutch with small increases in throttle when maneuvering the side streets. That means partial clutch and partial throttle then pull in the clutch and coast then repeat. Keep in a lower gear when you experience a bogging, jerking, or uneven RPM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Riding a motorbike, or any manual shift vehicle should not be an exercise in rocket-science.

You need to develop a..."feel" for the machine, and what it is saying to you.

It is almost like a living beast...it will talk to you and tell you what it needs, you just need to know how to listen to her.

There is also no one 'given' or 'correct' combination of throttle setting, clutch and gear.....you need to have that feel for what works for any given riding situation you are in.

If you are slowing to a stop in first gear with the clutch out, and the throttle closed, you WILL start to lug/buck/pull down the motor as you slow to a stop. In that situation, pull the clutch level in as you start to feel that lug/pull/buck.

When moving very slowly, esp in turns, you will need to be very active on feathering the clutch in and out while moderating the throttle to keep things smooth.

It sounds like you do not have a lot of experience in driving motorbikes, I would suggest finding an experienced person to mentor you a bit.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You can rev it up more in each gear than it says. If it's doing the herky-jerky (lugging) the gear choice is too high for the conditions. Even though the engine sounds like it's spinning very fast, it's probably not as much as you think.

At slow speed, if just idle of the engine is too much in first gear then you're going to have to disengage/engage/feather the clutch more , as others have said.

Here is a chart of (approximate) engine RPM vs. indicated speed for each gear. This chart is MPH so you will have to make the necessary converson to km/h. Maximum RPM is 5250.

Looking at the numbers you gave (30 km/h) ( for 3rd to 4th gear the engine speed is way too low. Do you actually mean 30 MPH? If you really do mean 30 km/h, that is way to slow of speed for 3rd > 4th gear.

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Agree with Jay and Whoaru,

I think your switching gears way way to soon. You need to listen to the engine and have IT tell you when to switch.. not the speedo.

i have a tack on mine. I'll switch about 5,000 RPM.

I was actually out ridding today. I paid attention to the speeds of when I switched.

Granted, i have an aftermarket front pulley on, so it spreads things out some, but I was not switching from 1'st to 2nd until right at 30 mph.

If your trying to do 30kmh in 4th gear? Yes.. that would make it chug a lug. Big time.

(btw, don't YOU try to go 30mph in first gear. I can do it cause of the pulley. But I know that 30 in 4th would chug ya)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The problem might be that your manual is in MPH where your road speeds are in Km/H.
For instance, if the manual says to shift at 30MPH, you would shift at 50Km/H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rpm

Hi guys again. Thanks for your time. I think that last time I wrote too much and did not give very simple example of my problem.

So, you are increasing/decreasing RPM by changing throttle grip angle. Lets say that you’ve increased RPM from idle till 2000 smoothly and after you need to lower the RPM same way to the idle speed but somewhere close to 1200-1300 engine drops RPM to idle sharply, i.e. engine doesn’t follow to your order.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Simple answer, you're shifting too soon. Kawasaki manuals are notorious for being incorrect. Listen to the motor for when to shift. If the motorcycle is shaking when you shift you're shifting too early and you need more RPM's. I can take video with my gopro next time I ride my 2000 if you need me to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys again. Thanks for your time. I think that last time I wrote too much and did not give very simple example of my problem.

So, you are increasing/decreasing RPM by changing throttle grip angle. Lets say that you’ve increased RPM from idle till 2000 smoothly and after you need to lower the RPM same way to the idle speed but somewhere close to 1200-1300 engine drops RPM to idle sharply, i.e. engine doesn’t follow to your order.
These beasts have a rather large throttle return spring....if you just let go of the throttle, it will snap to the closed position rather rapidly.

If that is presenting a problem then you need to "roll off" the throttle as well.....do not just let it go.

If you are "rolling off" on the throttle (using your hand to slowly close the throttle) and it is still snapping to the closed position, i would guess your throttle cables need to be adjusted/serviced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts