Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 LT and last night I roll into home, go to put the kick stand down and "pwang" the spring on my stand came off. Now I have a shop manual for my bike but it shows nada. Can someone take a look and see where the spring is connected?

I put the spring back on to the pegs that I thought were right and when I raise the stand, the spring just falls off.

T

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 09 LT and last night I roll into home, go to put the kick stand down and "pwang" the spring on my stand came off. Now I have a shop manual for my bike but it shows nada. Can someone take a look and see where the spring is connected?

I put the spring back on to the pegs that I thought were right and when I raise the stand, the spring just falls off.

T
On my 09 Classic, just below the bolt that attached stand to bike, there is a peg for the spring. Hope this may help you !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are the pegs that I thought were it. Somehow, the spring is just too long. BTW, how many springs do all of you have. My spring is made up of 2 individual springs, intertwined.
T

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those are the pegs that I thought were it. Somehow, the spring is just too long. BTW, how many springs do all of you have. My spring is made up of 2 individual springs, intertwined.
T
OOOps I misspoke, top peg is above the mounting bolt for KS, mine is black so maybe yours is to and maybe can't see it? I too, have two springs intertwined, let me know if this helps ya!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Toymaker, common problem with the 900's... the kickstand develops too much play. Mine started out like yours, popping the spring here and there, then one day on a left turn, I heard the kickstand dragging. The hole where the kickstand bolt mounts is a slight oval, and seems to wear out a bit over time.

I took mine down to a local custom shop, where he sealed off the kickstand mounting plate/bracket, re-drilled it and welded in a bushing for extra strength. Has been working PERFECTLY ever since, and he charged me ~$50. (can't remember exactly)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A little grease applied when servicing the bike where the spring ends contact the holes works wonders . . . also stops squeaks when raising or lowering the stand and should last between engine oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My spring is also was falling off and what discovered that you might want to check, the bushing in my kickstand was shot and my stand has some free play and that why my spring kept coming off. I dont have the time right now to fix it so what I did was put the smallest hose clamp i could find on, as you can see in the pic and that keeps it from coming off.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here is what I came up with...even though I realize it is a temp fix. I noticed that there was a lot of extra "slop" in the stand connection so I ground down a washer and put it in the stand to take up some of the extra wiggle room. Now the stand doesn't go back "into the bike". The spring is a bit tighter and to make sure the spring doesn't go flying of into the realm of lost items, I ziptied the spring to the stand intwo places.

Pretzl, your fix is golden, but I don't have the time right now to be without my bike to take it to a shop...prolly this winter if my fix lasts that long.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Pretzl, your fix is golden, but I don't have the time right now to be without my bike to take it to a shop...prolly this winter if my fix lasts that long.
FWIW, the shop I took it to did all the work in about 40 mins as I waited. Didn't take long at all, and I drank free coffee and shot the breeze with several other bikers in the lobby. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts