Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought the driver grasshopper back rest, the following is the model, as quoted on their site.

"Kawasaki 1700 Nomad/Classic Classic LT or Voyager with stock seats"

these steps that are followed:

(1) Remove seat driver and passenger

(2) Take driver seat and remove the U shaped connection that connects the seat from the back.

(3) Install the black connector for the back rest, which is open in a U shape from both sides, curving into the seat in order to install the back rest.

(4) Put back the U shaped connector originally came with the seat on top of the Back rest connector and tighten nuts and screws.

(5) Re-install seat.

upon putting the seat back together, the seat refused to go in original position as the back rest connector was hitting the bridge connector over the back tire fender, hence, tried squeezing it in but to no avail, the seat is not sitting in a correct position. I know what is wrong, but not sure why it is happening, meanwhile, still no installation.

Can any one please assist who are using this brand or other, especially if they encountered the same problem with this seat, while installing it on a Vulcan 1700 Voyager 2011 model. If not, what is needed then to complete and conclude a successful installation.

Regards,
Sarie

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have bought the driver grasshopper back rest, the following is the model, as quoted on their site.

"Kawasaki 1700 Nomad/Classic Classic LT or Voyager with stock seats"

these steps that are followed:

(1) Remove seat driver and passenger

(2) Take driver seat and remove the U shaped connection that connects the seat from the back.

(3) Install the black connector for the back rest, which is open in a U shape from both sides, curving into the seat in order to install the back rest.

(4) Put back the U shaped connector originally came with the seat on top of the Back rest connector and tighten nuts and screws.

(5) Re-install seat.

upon putting the seat back together, the seat refused to go in original position as the back rest connector was hitting the bridge connector over the back tire fender, hence, tried squeezing it in but to no avail, the seat is not sitting in a correct position. I know what is wrong, but not sure why it is happening, meanwhile, still no installation.

Can any one please assist who are using this brand or other, especially if they encountered the same problem with this seat, while installing it on a Vulcan 1700 Voyager 2011 model. If not, what is needed then to complete and conclude a successful installation.

Regards,
Sarie
Hi Sarie, not sure what the problem is....mine installed without any issues ('09 Voyager). Are you positive you've installed it correctly? There really shouldn't be a problem. Suggest you remove it and start over.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some additional thoughts - is the tab near the front of the seat (on the bottom) being seated correctly? Are the two rear holes (connections on the back of the seat) lining up over the protrusions that they sit on? In other words, is the seat being reinstalled correctly? I can't imagine installing the Grasshopper adapter incorrectly - it really can only be installed one way, so wondering if the seat is being lined up properly.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2010 Nomad. I loosened the two bolts and pushed it in as close to the seat as I could then with some forcing I got the seat on. After riding a while the seat goes off and one easy now. The two slots where the bolts went on the mount was a pretty sloppy fit. That being said, I love the Grasshopper and I couldn't ride without it now! Actually with the grasshopper mount riding on that bracket makes the mount more solid.
Good luck,
James

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you Top K & Replay 13, as with regard to lining the connections on the back of the seat, Yes, they are. The seat is being installed correctly, because it is sliding into the relevant spaces (places). however, it is not totally fitting in due to the fact that the back rest connection attached to the seat is touching the connector at the back where both the driver and passenger seats connect the middle part.

As you said Top K, it can only be installed one way as designed, hence, my steps. Meanwhile, one question, are the 2009, 2010 and 2011 models from size & space perspective for the seat the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thank you Top K & Replay 13, as with regard to lining the connections on the back of the seat, Yes, they are. The seat is being installed correctly, because it is sliding into the relevant spaces (places). however, it is not totally fitting in due to the fact that the back rest connection attached to the seat is touching the connector at the back where both the driver and passenger seats connect the middle part.

As you said Top K, it can only be installed one way as designed, hence, my steps. Meanwhile, one question, are the 2009, 2010 and 2011 models from size & space perspective for the seat the same.
I would have to say they are the same. The changes in the '10 and '11 models were subtle at best....except for a few minor improvements the '11 bike is the same as the '09. I'll have to look at my bike closer when I get home to see what you are talking about. I've removed/replaced my seat many times since installing the Grasshopper and never had an issue.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Another thing you can do to help us diagnose the issue is to provide a picture of your setup. Or if I were you I'd just call Lonnie (608-346-1337) and tell him about your issue. Perhaps he made a bad batch. When he first started out, he was just doing it out of his garage and was selling them via EBAY (which he still does of course, but now he has a fancy web site and business name). :) But I'm sure it's still just one guy doing all the work. He'd be happy to get your issue corrected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Top K, spoke to Leoni if not mistaken a while back, he asked for some pictures and he was willing to help even give a refund. I will try to get a picture and post it tomorrow. Meanwhile, you will have a chance to check your bike.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks Top K, spoke to Leoni if not mistaken a while back, he asked for some pictures and he was willing to help even give a refund. I will try to get a picture and post it tomorrow. Meanwhile, you will have a chance to check your bike.
Ok, looked at my bike and can better understand your situation....mine rests right against that black crossbar piece you mentioned (bridge connector, as you called it). There isn't much room one way or the other - mine fits perfectly. So the one you got from Lonnie is slightly off for some reason. Either you can try and bend it to get it to fit properly, or send it back to him and ask for a replacement. If the replacement has the same problem, then something has changed on his end and he needs to go back to his original design.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I spoke with the folks at Grasshopper today to order a backrest for my 11 VV I just got. Go on their web site, take a picture of whats going on and email it to them. I sent them a pic yesterday and got a reply in less than 10 minutes. Or email Lonnie direct at [email protected].

Bubba in NV
USAF Retired
Nye Co. Motor Officer Retired

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sarie, I take it your front seat isn't going on far enough to get your back seat to lock in? My grasshopper mount rides against the fender bracket, but the front seat should go on all the way. Like you said it is all easy to see so maybe they didn't get the bend right on that one, or they sent you the wrong mount, anyways good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure you will love the grasshopper when you get it fixed.
James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts