Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've had the Tri-Ovals on backorder for about a month now... finally came home to them sitting in my garage last night :) I disassembled my Voyager and everything went according to the service manual, no problems. Then looking at the Cobra instructions I moved the left side muffler heat shield from the stock muffler over to the try-oval left side. Now it's time to mount the left side try-oval. I slid the left side try-oval muffler into the head pipe and tried to get it to line up with the mounts. NO GO... tried a couple of times and I'm coming up about 2" off. The angles are wrong and the left side try-oval is pushing into the belt guard.

IMG_0040.jpg

Next I decided to attach the muffler to the stock mounts and see how far off I was at the head pipe... I'm off the completely, doesn't even kinda match up.

IMG_0042.jpg

ok, next just forget about the left side... tried the right side and everything went on fine... no issues. Decided to sleep on it and see if any other ideas came to me. This morning I decided to take the stock left side muffler and try to remount it, just to see if things would line up or if it was just me being stupid. Everything lined up just fine with the stock left side muffler.

Anybody got some ideas? Anyone else seen this when trying to install the try-ovals themselves?

I double checked and verified that I got shipped the right part# 4226, stamped on the muffler. Guess I might try to give Cobra and/or Dennnis Kirk a call this morning to see what they say. Maybe I just got a left side pipe that didn't get bent correctly and it slipped by quality control.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I put my Tri ovals on I noticed the left side was way off also. I think the pipe gets bent in shipping. I used my deck railing to bend it back in place. It bends where the pipe goes into the muffler. I just held the muffler vertical to the railing with a yellow pine scrap 2 X 4 on the railing and lifted the muffler in the air and forcefully pulled down where the end of the pipe hits the 2 x 4. It took a few tries. You don't want to hit it too hard. I would hit it a couple times and try to fit it. Hit it a couple more times and well you get it. Just remember, not to hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I put my Tri ovals on I noticed the left side was way off also. I think the pipe gets bent in shipping. I used my deck railing to bend it back in place. It bends where the pipe goes into the muffler. I just held the muffler vertical to the railing with a yellow pine scrap 2 X 4 on the railing and lifted the muffler in the air and forcefully pulled down where the end of the pipe hits the 2 x 4. It took a few tries. You don't want to hit it too hard. I would hit it a couple times and try to fit it. Hit it a couple more times and well you get it. Just remember, not to hard.
OK, good to know. I didn't see any damage to the shipping box, so I'm more inclined to believe they have a quality assurance/control issue myself.

I'm a little reluctant of trying anything heavy handed with it, I would hate to damage the pipe in any way (crack chrome). I sent an email to Cobra customer support this morning, so I'll wait and see what they reply back with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Install

I have to say when I put mine on there were no problems and everything lined up well. The only thing was they did not fit snugly into the head pipe against the seal but I have not had any exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There have been previous posts about this very issue - I had the same problem, so followed the advice offered by someone on this forum. Took a metal rod, wrapped it in a cloth and put it into the exhaust and used it as a leverage to get the holes lined up - you do have to bend the exhaust a little to get things lined up. But once in, things look fine....metal is not bent - it gives. So clearly it's a quality issue at Cobra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There have been previous posts about this very issue - I had the same problem, so followed the advice offered by someone on this forum. Took a metal rod, wrapped it in a cloth and put it into the exhaust and used it as a leverage to get the holes lined up - you do have to bend the exhaust a little to get things lined up. But once in, things look fine....metal is not bent - it gives. So clearly it's a quality issue at Cobra.
Thanks for the feedback Top K. I've been reading many threads on this site for the last month or so but haven't seen any mention of this problem yet. Good to know that it is something other have seen too.

I just got off the phone with Cobra customer service and they're not aware of any quality assurance/control issues with these parts. They suggested that I contact denniskirk.com directly and see if they could do a return and ship me another set. Talking with denniskirk.com customer service, they said that the latest information they have states that customers need to work directly with Cobra. The rep from denniskirk.com though said that he would give Cobra a call directly to figure out how to handle this and call me back.

I'll wait and see what they come back to me with and then decide how I need to handle this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having worked with both Dennis Kirk and Cobra customer service before (separately though) I think you'll get taken care of. They both left me as a happy customer. While it doesn't get you the exhaust on your bike right now it is at least a promising thought...

·
Registered
122 Posts
that sucks im glad i went with the idea of removing my baffles one at a time and i got the sound i like out of it ... as far as having to moddify it to work that would erk me a good bit after having dropped 450 bucks to get 2 mufflers i would expect a plug and play type set up sounds like a q/c issue

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Top K. I've been reading many threads on this site for the last month or so but haven't seen any mention of this problem yet. Good to know that it is something other have seen too.

I just got off the phone with Cobra customer service and they're not aware of any quality assurance/control issues with these parts. They suggested that I contact denniskirk.com directly and see if they could do a return and ship me another set. Talking with denniskirk.com customer service, they said that the latest information they have states that customers need to work directly with Cobra. The rep from denniskirk.com though said that he would give Cobra a call directly to figure out how to handle this and call me back.

I'll wait and see what they come back to me with and then decide how I need to handle this.
It's really not that hard to get the holes lined up - you just have to muscle it a little bit...don't be afraid to try. The metal rod technique worked perfectly. It worked for me and others. Here's the thread that I got the idea from:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12801&highlight=tri+ovals+fit&page=2

Look for this entry:

I installed the new Cobra BLV4226 slip-on pipes and the Power Commander V on my bike last night. The right side pipe fit perfectly and I installed it in about 15 minutes. The left side was a different story and took over an hour. From what I could tell, Cobra got the bend angle wrong for the cross-pipe, so neither bolt hole would line up with the mount. The cross-pipe is chromed, so I didn't want to use a torch to adjust the bend angle. I found out after a number of failed attempts that if I pushed the cross-pipe barely in the slot (about a 1/4"), I could get the bolt hole to line up with the front mount and get about 4 turns on the bolt. I then pulled the cross pipe all the way into the slot and tightened the bracket to hold the pipe in place. This left me with a rear mount that was about 1/2" off with the bolt hole. I stuck a small piece of steel pipe inside the Tri-Oval (wrapped with a rag to prevent scratching) and was able to pry it into place and installed the larger 12mm bolt. If you do this yourself, be prepared to do some serious tugging. I don't know if my pipe was an individual factory defect or if the lot was fabricated wrong, but thought I would post this information for anybody that runs into a similar problem.

The Tri-Ovals sound great and the bike runs great, so I am still very pleased with the upgrade components. The factory map from Power Commander works very well, but can't say yet if it is optimized 100% (minor popping on the "decel"). I thought about putting the bike on a Dyno, but for the same price, I could buy the AutoTune (AT-200) from Power Commader and it will optimize the settings while the bike is operating. If anybody has installed the PCV with the AutoTune module, I'd be curious to find out if it does what they say it will do. Other bloggers have posted sound byte clips, so I am just providing pictures. If anybody wants to hear sound byte clips, let me know.

Greg McDonald
Katy, Texas
2010 Vulcan 1700 Nomad

·
Registered
66 Posts
Given so many people have had problems this doesn't seem to be something that goes away on its own. Fixing it yourself doesn't get the message to Cobra that they seem to have a manufacturing problem.

KJ, since you've already been in touch with Cobra if you have the time and patience I would try to stick this out with them and see if they can get this resolved both for you and going forward. Let them know that you're in touch with a community that has been having these problems for some time, heck email them the link to the thread. If they can get this fixed it would certainly benefit Vulcan owners that would purchase these in the future, so you can get a warm n fuzzy feeling from that. Hopefully Cobra would also try and do something to take care of you for the trouble. If the priority is to just get back rolling with the new pipes then do what you've got to do, I don't think anyone would hold it against you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would let cobra and or denniskirk fix the problem. I bought my tri-ovals in the beginning of Aug and they went on perfect. It took me longer to take on and off the saddle bags than the exhaust. They do sound great!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
iv had the same problem durring instalation. i did have to put some muscle behind it to line up the mounting bolts underneath the saddle bags. i had a problem with both sides though. even after the have been on my bike for 3000 miles. i look down there and i can see that its not a straight like where it connects to the head pipe. i thought it would cause a problem with leaks and the gasket not sealing but as far as i know i dont have a leak. i do get some popping but i dont thinks its from the mufflers not sealing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now I am glad that the Cobra's I had on order were on back order so long. I cancelled my order for Tri Ovals and went with Vance & Hines and after reading all the allignment problems, real glad I did. If I didn't take the time to do some detail cleaning with the pipes and bags off, it would have only been 30 min. to install the V&H slip ons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone brought this to Cobra's attention and returned their mufflers ?
I did provide Corba a link to this thread when I submitted an email request for customer service and mentioned it again when I called them on the phone. The customer service rep stated that he was not aware of any quality control issues with these Slip-Ons. At the time I spoke with him I hadn't seen all the other responses from others stating that they had also seen this same issue.

BTW, my current situation is that I've shipped the Tri-Ovals back to dennis kirk per cobras instructions since Cobra doesn't have any replacement parts in stock and it will be some time before they do another production run on these particular parts. So I should have my replacement slip-ons later this week or early next week.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I think I will seek a different route. Maybe D&D. However I am leaning towards the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Since I was able to get the exhaust installed, I didn't see it as an issue (even though I had to use a crowbar to get them on). If I couldn't get them on, then I would have contacted them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2012 Vulcan Voyager Cobra TriOvals

Just installed TriOvals on my 2012 Voyager. The left side had a minor alignment problem with the mounting holes but just needed a little muscle to get the bolts started. Other than that everything fit perfectly. They look great and sound awesome. We will see if they are truely "Cranky neighbor friendly" when I leave for work on Monday at 4:00 am.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes I made them fully aware of what (and how) the problem is occurring. As said in the other posts they will let you return the item as "damaged by shipper" but you have to go thru the process and it could be weeks before you get another set. If Cobra would implement some sort of wood gusset to brace the muffler body against the bottom of the box it would take the impact off the pipe. But I guess that isn't cost effective since I suggested that to um bout a year ago and it's still happening.

You can fix it with a little patience, you may have to mount and dismount the muffler a few times before you get it where you want it. I took an inch diameter pipe and wrapped it with masking tape to cushion the blow (so not to deform the tail pipe) and stuck it inside the cobra tail pipe, then while the muffler was sitting on my living room carpet, I sat on the muffler and rapped the wrapped pipe with a hammer a few times. Went back and put it on the bike, and repeated till I got it to fit.

If you've ever watched UPS guys set boxes down you can see how the weight of the muffler is enough to bend the pipe if it's on the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts