Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took a long trip; from Houston to Lafayette La and some of the surrounding area. The night before I took off I did a check up on my bike. Tire pressure, oil...whatever I could think of.

I looked at the brake fluid reservoir, and noticed that I could not see the level of the fluid. So I opened it and noticed a rubber seal across the reservoir. I touched it with my key and saw the level of fluid seemed OK, so I closed it. I had a brief moment of doubt, then fired up the bike and checked the brakes. Everything seemed fine.

The next morning I took off, and made sure to test the brakes a few times. They worked fine, and continued to work fine the whole day. (It was awesome! I left home around 0630 Saturday, made my trip and visits and got back home to Houston around 0130 Sunday morning.)

The following Monday I rode the bike to work (about 65 miles round trip) and again, everything worked fine.

But now I am wondering...did I possibly do something wrong? (OK, I know it is late to be asking, but the thought just occurred to me)

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Nah. I usually like to wipe off the fluid reservoir before I put it back on to prevent dirt from getting into it, but once won't kill ya.

What did the fluid look like? If it was clear, it's perfect, if it was faint yellow, it was okay. Anything darker than that (orange/brown) then it's time for a fluid change!

After changing my fluid, it's clear enough you can't see inside the reservoir at all anyway, so no biggie.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah. I usually like to wipe off the fluid reservoir before I put it back on to prevent dirt from getting into it, but once won't kill ya.

What did the fluid look like? If it was clear, it's perfect, if it was faint yellow, it was okay. Anything darker than that (orange/brown) then it's time for a fluid change!

After changing my fluid, it's clear enough you can't see inside the reservoir at all anyway, so no biggie.
The fluid is very clear. That is the reason I took the cap off in the first place, it was so clear that the reservoir seemed empty. But I did wipe the cap clean before I put it back on (the cap actually tells you to do this).

Thanks for all the advice.

Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts