Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 VN800B Classic that I have been thinking of turning over to a belt drive bike. I know the ride will be smoother and less upkeep but what is the main good point and main Bad point

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so from what I am hearing I guess it's a win win situation. Would love the upgrade and the smooth ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the modification can be done , the main isue here is that you have to calculate the right size pulleys in order to match the sprokets ratio , with that done you need to see if the new engine pulley will fit in the space of the engine where the sprocket now resides , and if you have enough clearence for the tire pulley to fit , and finally if there is enough clearence for the belt along the path of the chain . Wish you luck and if you go ahead with the mod tell us how it turned out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What is the 800 now: chain or drive shaft?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The specs say it's chain driven , if it is shaft driven then the modification is very likely to be imposible

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 96 is a chain driven....from all the post I read it is possible and the gearing of the two sprockets has been done and tested. Going to do this as a late summer early fall project(meaning in a few weeks it should be all set)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure what you mean by a smooth ride, I like the chain, I know guys that have the belt on their harleys and when they break it aint good, basically not much warning before failure. All your performance bikes run chains for HP delivery. I run a High Performance chain on my 800 for piece of mind, you just change it out when you run out of adjustment. Only advantage I think a belt might have is a quieter ride, but then I have cobra pipes and wear ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
it might be too late for me to warn Quarry about a belt on his 800 since he's probably well into the change from chain to belt, I've done this chain to belt conversion on my first 800, broke the belt twice and the person who bought that 800 from me broke the belt once more and sold the bike. I really don't think the short stroke 800 can use a belt, but if you do go with a belt, ask me first which belt conversion kit NOT to buy, hopefully not the kit that I bought cause the belt is not strong enough and will break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts