Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to get a little pavement under our tires b4 the BIG RoundUp in the Sky-July. mebbe some you Texkin kawboys n otter hooligans care to join up for 2 day gettyup, here in central tejas hill country?
some have chimed in offline that Austin is a place. I live here, so its not much to get all worked up over. there be some awesome rides n roads pert near in ever direction from this local. Them roads I know'd real well as have worn them down plenty.
Butt, if Memorial weekend May 23-24-25 interested anybody to meet up and ride to a couple beer n bbq joints, mebbe take in some lake side lunch views, cetera.. I'd be up for showin ya the ropes an where how to git ther from here. Promise ther be no dirt gravel roads.. well less they moved em or something.
chime in with yor response. some you fellas need git out yor chair and on yor hoss. ponchout

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pretty sure I'm in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Will need to plan on a sunset dinner at the Oasis for sure one evening. I think Burt & Tammy want to join in on some rides, he just hasn't found this post. Todd has been MIA from the forum for a little while since he lost his beloved wife. Hopefully we can get him to join us.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will need to plan on a sunset dinner at the Oasis for sure one evening. I think Burt & Tammy want to join in on some rides, he just hasn't found this post. Todd has been MIA from the forum for a little while since he lost his beloved wife. Hopefully we can get him to join us.
#1. yeah, sunset at the oasis.. would be nice if there were some water in lake travis.. but sun setting in the hills is perty nice.
#2. was thinking brunch at Ski Shores on lake austin. its my daily ride up city park rd and down to th lake. they have a nice open deck rite on the lake, you can feed the turtles and dux..
ther be a ton of routes to ride all begin here in town and some go for hours out to the boonies:
#3. west austin, south 1826 past the salt lick bbq to driftwood, 150 south to hayes, 3237 south to Wimberly, 12 south to 32 west to Devils Backbone, 23424 south to 306 east to Canyon Dam, 306 east to Purgatory rd north, head to the barn.
#4. austin 2222 west to bob bullock north to Lime Creek rd north to 1431 west to cow creek 328 north to 1174 south to 1431 west to Marble falls 281 south to BlueBonnet cafe. head to the barn.

lemme kno if you need more roads to ride. these are jus the primers. ponchout

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I will be able to go, as long it's not early in the morning. Have a about 4 Hs from Dallas
have no set aggenda.. yet.. just carve out some time and pick a spot on the map to hole up at. It dont need be downtown austin, personally i wouldnt go ther.. any mor than have to.

if some want to ride in Friday nite? or noon Sat.?
ther plenty of short half day rides all over this hills w/o ever leaving austin proper.
so its mor, watt worx bes 4 u. we dont need make this no big huge ride thing. ther plenty places to ride to, hang out take in the scenery.. did I mention this is a college town? anywhere thers water, ther be plenty scantily clad females. scenery.. hey i didnt invent this stuff, you gott issues with the scenery, take it up with the boss. its all his idea. so if you cant handle it, best u give him a earfull. cuz I dont wanna hear it. poncho

·
Registered
183 Posts
have no set aggenda.. yet.. just carve out some time and pick a spot on the map to hole up at. It dont need be downtown austin, personally i wouldnt go ther.. any mor than have to.

if some want to ride in Friday nite? or noon Sat.?
ther plenty of short half day rides all over this hills w/o ever leaving austin proper.
so its mor, watt worx bes 4 u. we dont need make this no big huge ride thing. ther plenty places to ride to, hang out take in the scenery.. did I mention this is a college town? anywhere thers water, ther be plenty scantily clad females. scenery.. hey i didnt invent this stuff, you gott issues with the scenery, take it up with the boss. its all his idea. so if you cant handle it, best u give him a earfull. cuz I dont wanna hear it. poncho

So far I only know that I35 will take me there. I leave to the locals to set the rendezvous details. Any place with the habitat you described works for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds good Ponch. I think Weldon and Lacy want to come along too (had the orange Harley on the Lufkin ride). He is at the end of his recovery from neck surgery and is just itching to get on the bike.

Ouch! Travis is 53 ft low! That sucks, and I thought our lakes were low at 6' down.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good Ponch. I think Weldon and Lacy want to come along too (had the orange Harley on the Lufkin ride). He is at the end of his recovery from neck surgery and is just itching to get on the bike.

Ouch! Travis is 53 ft low! That sucks, and I thought our lakes were low at 6' down.
oh! its come up a couple feet? This is CanyonLand. west side of I-35 is the Balconies geologic uplift. Tejas useta be ocean bottom. All the topsoil eroded from the uplift, leaves Limestone quarries. ever noticed all the cement factories on the west side of the freeway?
east side of I-35 to the coast is all rich black rolling farmland. yep, thats where the rivers dumped all the topsoil.
but we gott lotts of canyon carving to do on the skoots. they call it the Tejas hill country but really it is mostly canyons. when you gitt here an see it then it will make sense. there are books out the wazoo and ton of history 'bout this part of the country.. Tejas is very colorful.. RED.

watt needs doin, is picking a central spot, ie. hotel or such for outa towners to hole up in. If you were intrested in Austin, would recommend something North West quandrant. I am at hiway 183 and Mopac Loop 1. there are lotts of hotels nearby.. do recommend stay away from the I-35 riff/raff. lemme kno, poncho

·
Registered
578 Posts
We will probably stay at the Hampton Inn on W. Braker Ln, so we will be close to you. That proposed ride to Marble Falls looks awesome! Lime Creek Rd and Cow Creek look like some great rides.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will probably stay at the Hampton Inn on W. Braker Ln, so we will be close to you. That proposed ride to Marble Falls looks awesome! Lime Creek Rd and Cow Creek look like some great rides.
yes, that is rite around the corner from my shop on Burnet Rd. itsa good launch point for day rides. Will you be arriving Friday eve or Saturday? how long can you hang for? This is so as to plan rides-duration that work with yors/others arrival and time and departures..

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Might come in Friday night. Two days in town, head back Monday morning/afternoon to recoup before work Tuesday probably.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might come in Friday night. Two days in town, head back Monday morning/afternoon to recoup before work Tuesday probably.
sometimes words just aren't enuff. welcome to Austin... poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
David pointed this out to me.. I've scheduled the time off to make it. My schedule is stupid chaos these days, but I miss you all, and surely plan to be there!

·
Registered
578 Posts
That last pic is great, Ponch.

#4, I think when I get to the end of that road I would turn around and go back, and again, and again...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David pointed this out to me.. I've scheduled the time off to make it. My schedule is stupid chaos these days, but I miss you all, and surely plan to be there!
bt,, glad to have you back with the tribe. how is yor beast holding up? did yor daughter get that bike she wanted last year? how r u holding up? we will have lotts of catchup todo on this ride. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
dr, looks something like this;
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ham...74d962988e7853f!2m2!1d-98.276!2d30.570886!3e0

its more like 4 hours of riding plus brunch at Ski Shores on lake Austin and mid afternoon Pie at the BlueBonnet cafe.
speaking of which, the BBs are out in full display this and next couple weeks. I will take some pix, next trip out. poncho

·
Registered
397 Posts
bt,, glad to have you back with the tribe. how is yor beast holding up? did yor daughter get that bike she wanted last year? how r u holding up? we will have lotts of catchup todo on this ride. poncho
Heya Ponch! The beastie is doing pretty well, and yes indeed my daughter is quite the proficient rider of her little rebel. Me? I'm holding up. The chaos of rebuilding is intense! I'm looking forward to getting to see everyone and really hoping I can pull off at least some of the ride in July as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts