Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to post this yesterday, but it didn't work? Anyhoo, I want to change the factory primary sprocket (which I'm guessing is 14 tooth) for a 15 tooth or even 16 tooth sprocket. I'm willing to give up some acceleration to get a better Highway ride.
I have a new chain and rear sprocket, so I think I can fit a 15-T with the standard chain. A 16-T may require a longer chain? Has anybody got any advice or recommendations and is it a simple swap over? I did similar on my last bike a Suzuki Boulevard and it was a big improvement on the highway, almost like having a 6th gear!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My combination is 18 front and 42 rear.
Just use the search function on this forum, there are a lot of infos for subject.

Marcel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just noticed that my original post on this was in the vn900 section...my bad.
I have tried the 'search' option but I am still coming up with nothing on the subject, other than my own posts. I'm searching primary sprocket-primary drive etc.
Can anybody tell me what size the 'stock' primary sprocket is, without me having to open it up to take a look. I want to go just one tooth higher, and there are plenty on e-bay ranging from 13-T up to 18-T. So, I need to know what the stock is.
Also has anybody got any feedback on whether the drive was noisier after changing. I believe the original is rubber dampened, which the after market ones aren't.
Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My VN80 is from '95 and stock was 16/46. The engine was revving too high at about 100 km/h, much too high. I have change to actual 18/42 and for me is the perfect combination, considering the balance between loss of torque and low rpm at cruising speed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my '05 800 stock was 17/42, removed those and installed a new 17/40. for every 1 tooth addition on front sprocket is same as changing rear sprocket 3 teeth difference

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
F/r
18/41 = 17/38
18/42 = 17/39
18/43 = 17/40
18/44 = 17/41

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks btom. I have now ordered an 18-T front sprocket, which should be delivered in a week. I'll try it as 18/42 for a while and if I need to I will go to 18/40. I'm trying to make use of the new OEM chain, which is only a few weeks old, same as the rear 42-T sprocket. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
what year/model bike you talking about? your profile says 1500 classic

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a '96 and a '99 1500 Vulcan too, ('96 is a 4 speed, '99 is a 5 speed) which are both shaft drive. This modification is for my '98 800 Vulcan Classic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I finally fitted the 18-T sprocket today. It was delayed a little due to Christmas and New Year Holidays. Very happy with the difference. I am able to use 3rd gear around town without feeling the need to change up all the time, like I did with the 17-T. I made a short highway run at between 70 & 90 mph and it was definitely revving lower and easier on the ears.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have now ordered an 18-T front sprocket, which should be delivered in a week. I'll try it as 18/42 for a while and if I need to I will go to 18/40.
going 18/40 the acceleration from stop will be very different, but on the highway it will give you much lower rpm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts