Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally concluded that my bike works best on regular gas. The nine ticks like crazy on Premium, which is kinda funny because the anti-ping properties is at it's lowest with regular. I definitely don't want to ignite another reg/hi-test war, but, if your bike ticks like crazy, try regular gas.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have finally concluded that my bike works best on regular gas. The nine ticks like crazy on Premium, which is kinda funny because the anti-ping properties is at it's lowest with regular. I definitely don't want to ignite another reg/hi-test war, but, if your bike ticks like crazy, try regular gas.
I like regular as well. I get better mileage and my bike just seems to run better.:)

·
Registered
711 Posts
mine performs the same with regular or premium so why pay the higher cost.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got me a biiig bag of popcorn and a nice comfy chair....:D

(waiting for the debate)
Laffin, nope, no debate. It has taken me 8000 km (4800 miles) to determine that hitest makes the nine tick like crazy. I always filled it with premium at a ratio of two tanks to one regular. I lived with the tick. Every now and again the bike got quiet. Last fill-up the tick came back.....and I thought, hmnnnnn. Rode the bike empty, filled it with regular, no tick. We all know the difference between gas. It has been done to death. If you have a loud tick, try regular.

·
Registered
40 Posts
interesting I also run the expensive gas... lol ...an i do have the tick but i was blameing it on the oil..i will give regular a try

·
Registered
273 Posts
i switched to regular after the last round of arguments on this subject because someone brought up the pinging problem in that one, it was the first time i had heard that argument and tested it and by golly it worked. so it is now regular for me, plus ive added about 30 miles more on a tank of gas

·
Registered
953 Posts
The regular fuel will make the bike run hotter..... correct is this a good thing
The manual states that 87 Octane is ok. I live in Central Texas where at this time of year, it is just plain hot (17 days straight of 100+). The bike runs fine, it does not run too hot. It seems the cooling system does what it is supposed to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
600 mile checkup

Just had the 600 mile checkup done on my 2010 vulcan nomad this morning. Tech said they have no word from kawi yet on the stalling issue. After the oil change the engine really smoothed out and is running great. It has not stalled all day. I ask about the maintenance schedule in the book saying the next oil change was at 7,500 miles. He said not to believe a word of that and to make the next change at 4,000 miles. I do run premium gas in mine because the sticker on the gas tank says no less than 91 octane. At last check it was getting 43 mpg. Any other info on this bike will be appreciated. Have a great day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's a sticker on the 2010 C-model fuel tank advising you to run 91 or better??

Are you sure It wasn't put there by the API?:p

Hey...it's only a buck extra a tank, and if it makes you FEEL better about your ride - s'OK by me!:D

However (comma) unless there's been a reeeeally big change in the design of the motor - 87 is fine...really....(IMHO!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tech said .... He said not to believe a word of that and to make the next change at 4,000 miles.
of course, job security for him if you change your oil more often
I do run premium gas in mine because the sticker on the gas tank says no less than 91 octane.
working at a kawasaki dealership, i have never seen that sticker on a 900. but maybe you saw the 90 octane sticker on the tank of a vn2000.
At last check it was getting 43 mpg. Any other info on this bike will be appreciated. Have a great day.
43 is on the low side for a vn900. most people report high 40's low 50s. i avg 55 solo, 51 when riding 2 up. over 40,000 miles on my 900. low maint and no problems. i ran regular since the second tank fill up and change my oil around every 7500-8000 miles. does not burn or leak anything.

enjoy your bike, it's not fragile. dont worry too much about maintenance. i run mine hard and it never lets me down.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If I run 70-80 all the time I get 43. Mixture I get 45 and if I stay 55 or under about 54.

It's all in the right hand and how you use it.

Never use 91, always use 87, some times 85.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...the sticker on the gas tank says no less than 91 octane.
I know this has been brought out before, but it certainly bears repeating here...

The sticker under the seat (actually on the rear fender), specifically says Research Octane Number (RON) should be 91. Okay.

But in the U.S. our gas pumps display a different number, the (RON + MON )/2 number, also called the "Antiknock Index" (AKI) which is generally 4 points lower than the RON number by itself.

So, 91 RON gas is what's in our US pumps displayed as "87". Don't confuse these two numbers.

Myself, I've been happily running AKI 89 for a few months. I sometimes get a slight knocking sound on 87. Never really heard the Kawi-Tick on mine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Honest to God, it's the most important thing I've done to my bike.....to date. The tick is GONE on regular gas. We ALL know ron and pon, and the octane/anti knock index, but, this simple change ELIMINATED the embarrassing, noticeable, mentioned tick. Mine was so bad, strangers commented on it. I swear, if you have the tick, switch.
The thing that made it so hard to identify is it wouldn't tick immediately after fill-up. It crept in after the bike got hot, and, after a re-start when the bike was hot. I thought I was lugging the engine somehow and always kept the nine's revs up. I experimented with oil thinking it was that.....it wasn't. It IS the gas, I realize I'm sounding like a broken record, but, this has been a revelation of sorts. A much quieter, smoother engine just by buying CHEAPER gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What type of oil/filter combo are you using for that 7500-8000 interval?
i use mobil 1 15w-50 and the larger purolator filer. it's a little longer than the stock filer. this is what i've been running since the second oil change (except two times when the purolator filter was sold out, so i used a mobil 1 filer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone tried Marvel Mystery oil to reduce the "tick"?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys... I have an 09 Vn 900 Custom. Since I got it, I have been putting premium in it. I have read about the "tick" but I am not totally sure I know what it is/ sounds like. Maybe someone can help me out and explain the "tick" a bit more? thanks guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts