Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

The manual says it is set to 4 for the average built rider of 68 kg (who weighs 68 kg these days??) & no accessories

So for a rider of 89kgs (like...me I suppose) what should it be set to? 5 or back down towards 2 or 3?

& also what for when my 60kg odd other half come for a ride - change it again? & if so to what?

Thanks!!

Vince

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have might on 5 (93kg) because I often have a pillion and bags. It's a little hard when by myself but I prefer that to wallowing around.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have mine set on 6 for more preload with 2 up riding. Works okay for a stock shock.

You can always measure the sag. I have read it should be approx. 1/3rd the total travel (which is 103mm), so your sag should be approx. 34mm (with you and all gear).

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have mine set on 3 and quite often ride 2-up with my wife. Together we're about 350 lbs and I've never bottomed out. I found that any of the higher settings tend bounce me out of the seat on sharp bumps or drops. Basically, there is no "right" setting. Change it up a bit, ride around and see how it works. Doesn't work, change it again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have mine set on 3 and quite often ride 2-up with my wife. Together we're about 350 lbs and I've never bottomed out. I found that any of the higher settings tend bounce me out of the seat on sharp bumps or drops. Basically, there is no "right" setting. Change it up a bit, ride around and see how it works. Doesn't work, change it again.
This is something I need to do, its set on gut buster right now

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ride a 900 Custom with 2" lower and a 230 Avon Roadrunner. I weigh about 250 depending on the meal. I Just got the bike and last owner said he never bottomed out. I road with friends and was in a turn and hit a bump and felt a little bottom out so I changed the factory setting from 4 to 6. Now, I cannot tell the difference in ride but I have ridden that same turn and have not any issues now.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Chuckle

Hi there,

The manual says it is set to 4 for the average built rider of 68 kg (who weighs 68 kg these days??) & no accessories

So for a rider of 89kgs (like...me I suppose) what should it be set to? 5 or back down towards 2 or 3?

& also what for when my 60kg odd other half come for a ride - change it again? & if so to what?

Thanks!!

Vince
I come in at 65.7kg LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts