Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my bike to work every chance I get and it is a 30 mile each way commute so I only don't ride when it is supposed to rain. I've done a pretty good job of making calculated risks for rain with the two weather apps I have. I basically look at the 8am and 5pm hour to see if or how much a probability there is of rain, I check the night before and the morning before I leave. I had a pretty good run going but then I got rained on today luckily no high winds or major storm but just some annoying rain. My basic rule is that if there is under a 50% chance of rain during those two hours, and I factor in the odds before and after too, then I ride and if over I don't. How do you make your decision of whether or not to ride to work?

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it is too hot (90+) I don't ride. If it is too cold (25 or lower) I don't ride.

If there is more than a 25% chance of rain, I don't bother riding...because with my luck, I'll *always* be in that 25%. And, I don't need to be sopping wet for 10 hours at work.

If I'm out for a joyride on the weekend, I don't care about rain that much, unless it is a torrential downpour.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Thast's what rain gear is for! LOL

Years ago, I planned a trip from north Idaho to San Diego. I planned it in late June, pleasant here and warm there. I planned it 6 months in advance. The day I left, at 8 AM there was a torrential rain storm, covering the whole inland Northwest. I suited up in my rain gear and broke out the full face helmet and off I went. It rained pretty much all day, and half the next day, until I got to Reno, NV. But with the gear I didn't get a drop of water on me. My 1500 handles great in the rain, and while I'd rather not have to, its no big deal.

The cool thing is, once I left Reno I never got another drop of rain on the way down or all the way back.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Of not ice, I ride above 25 degrees. If chance of rain is under 60%, I ride if not severe. If I only expect light to moderate rain 1 way, I ride if temps arent below about 45 degrees. I have an 11 mile ride each way. Am out of town now on vacation, left Ga. with no rain, 35 miles later started raining and have seen rain all but 2 days since week ago friday. 1st day was 550 out of 650 miles in the rain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Florida, so if I dont ride on days when there is a chance of rain I will never ride. I commute 32 miles each way, unless it is raining at home when I leave I take the bike. When it looks like it will rain along the way I will leave with the rain gear on. Ive been riding when the rain was so bad cars were pulling over and never had an issue other than getting a little wet.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I ride no matter what, if I want. I put on rain gear, if it rains. If you don't ride in the rain, it'll cut down on ride time. No acceptable in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
If it's over 30% chance of rain I don't ride. I'd rather enjoy the ride without getting soaking wet.
There is a 50% chance of rain every single day in Colorado. If I followed your rule, I'd never ride.

Seriously though, rain gear makes all the difference. I spent 130 bucks on an alpine stars suit and it keeps me 100% dry.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It really all comes down to knowing you area's weather patterns. In south Florida 30% or a little more means you might get a sprinkle, central fl it can mean lots of rain.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Seriously though, rain gear makes all the difference. I spent 130 bucks on an alpine stars suit and it keeps me 100% dry.
Yep, quality gear makes a huge difference, regardless of what the weather is going to do.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+! on rain gear. Good rain gear, a good full-faced helmet and waterproof boots and gloves and you'll be plenty dry. It usually cools down when it rains, but when it doesn't it can get a little 'hot' in all that gear, but you'll be dry. And if you get a little hot, unzip it a bit and let the rain cool you off!

It really depends on what kind of riding I want to do. If I'm going on a trip, as long as it's not below freezing, or hailing, I'm heading out the door. Same for a planned group ride. If it's just my short commute to the office or just putting around on an afternoon, maybe not if it's raining.

My general rule of thumb is 30% or higher I look at the RADAR pretty closely. 30% can mean a lot of things, including that there's a fragmented/broken up storm headed your way, and there's a 30% chance one of it's 'chunks' is going to hit your particular location. Looking at the RADAR can reveal that despite a 20% or 30% chance of rain, if you're out riding, you will almost definitely hit some rain. Watching the RADAR and getting to know the patterns of weather in your area can help you plan too. Taking a route around the storm, for example.

Because I have the luxury of hard saddlebags, I have my rain gear on me 100% of the time. In one saddlebag I have my raingear rolled up, a couple plastic ponchos in small packages; throw away types. I've given them to unprepared riding buddies before and in a serious deluge, they offer an extra layer of weather protection. My rain gear isn't a one-piece rain suit, so in very, very heavy rain, water can find it's way in a couple of places; like at my waist or down my neck. I also keep a first aid kit, an extra pair of sunglasses (tinted safety glasses) and clear safety glasses.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Of all the apps & websites these days I trust Accuweather. I like the "minutecast" feature.

My ride to work is short. I'll go when it's cold. I'll ride when it's hot. I'm just fine riding in the rain. Funny though, if it's raining in the morning I usually drive my jeep. If rain is predicted but it's not currently raining, I usually ride.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I ride my bike to work every chance I get and it is a 30 mile each way commute so I only don't ride when it is supposed to rain.
How do you make your decision of whether or not to ride to work?
well, yor method is a lot of work and limits yor ride time with a lot of "watt ifs".
I just look outside, if its raining or wet roads (not that much in texas) I drive the truk. if its not raining I ride the bike. keep it simple.
if it rains later, well either sit and wait for it to stop, or get wet.
I have provisions on both ends, so sitting and waiting is not an issue. poncho

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Left home a week ago last friday on a 650 mile ride home on vacation, home as in where I'm from. Got rained on 550 miles of the trip. Wore Jacket from my Frogtoggs and chaps. Edie wore her 2pc rain suit, we both used full face helmets. Stayed mostly dry, so having the right gear makes a world of difference. Was gone 12 days and it rained 9 of those 12. Coming home from Indiana, followed storms all the way back to Ga., but never got wet.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
The way I look at it, regardless of what the weather apps say there is always a 50% chance of rain. It will either rain, or it won't. 50/50. That being said, if it's not raining when I go to get on the bike, I ride. If it's raining hard, I don't. If it's sprinkling, I ride. Especially if I am going somewhere important or on a group ride. If there's ice on the road or the potential for ice on the road, I don't ride. Otherwise, I ride. (Right now, my bike is my only mode of transportation....stupid car) When I was working ( I don't work now for medical reasons) I would check the forecast for when I got off work and prepare accordingly. I would also look at the RADAR as @Romans5.8 suggested. Both past and future animations. With my back problems tho, I can pretty much tell you if it's going to rain near me without fail. And considering we've had some rain just about everyday since May, obviously I haven't gotten much riding in. Not because of getting wet, because of the pain.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The way I look at it, regardless of what the weather apps say there is always a 50% chance of rain. It will either rain, or it won't. 50/50. With my back problems tho, I can pretty much tell you if it's going to rain near me without fail. And considering we've had some rain just about everyday since May, obviously I haven't gotten much riding in. Not because of getting wet, because of the pain.

for some, rain can be a real pain in the arse..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I check the radar (TWC app) and look at the hourly f-cast. >30%, no ride. SWFL storms come up fast if you not prepared. Learned this lesson the hard way while boating. 5-6ft waves in a 19ft bow rider is no fun.

Other than that the garage door goes up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts