Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. A couple of buddies and I are planning a looooong ride in May. We are planning to do the IBA border-to-border run. Bike prep and planning is under way, but I thought I would ask opinions here on prepping the V2K for the run. What items would you tackle now, to reduce the chances of a breakdown?

The bike: 2008 with 5K miles (little over half mine). I plan to go dark-side Michelin in March, to break in the tire and ensure there are no issues with that. I have a Dunlop Exedra Max on front with close to 2K miles now (rear is the same and the distance has me worried about the rear, so darkside seems logical). No major changes: home-built 2-1 slip-on, FI2000R (took out the cold stumble, butt dyno says mid-range has more punch), butterfly's removed, air injection plugged, euro gears and 33 tooth pulley installed. Other changes: electrical pod on windshield bag, rostra cruise installed, custom luggage rack and trunk (final stages on that). I have a Chatterbox and CB for comms.

Am I missing a maintenance item or something which might break between 6 & 10K miles (4K round trip) which I should address now?

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I also converted to HID on the headlight and will add fog/driving lights mounted on the crash bars. I am considering gaiters on the crash bars for road and weather protection as well. Possibly adding "wings" to the windshield, to cut the wind across the hands and arms. The extended lowers do a pretty good job, but for this ride, a little more protection seems a good idea.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You may want to consider sticking a plug kit/sealant in a saddlebag, maybe even a half or gallon jug of water for both you AND the bike, in emergencies. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may want to consider sticking a plug kit/sealant in a saddlebag, maybe even a half or gallon jug of water for both you AND the bike, in emergencies. Been there, done that.
Thanks, both on the packing list. Am also gonna change oil and filter before we head out. I run all synthetic, so should be good until we get back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It might not hurt to do a quick brake bleed. After 4 or 5 years, a certain amount of moisture is going to get into the system. If the first few pumps into your catch jar are a bit dark and cloudy, then you'll know you've done the right thing and your seals will thank you.

If you're still running the factory coolant, you might want to change that out too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just a suggestion, but you should probably pull the connector plug off the voltage regulators (especially the lower one) and check the terminals for corrosion. If they are corroded, then clean them up and coat everything with die-electric grease. Then plug it back in and you should be good to go.

I did this a while ago and was surprised at the amount of corrosion there was. A few V2K owners have had the terminals corrode completely away and then it's a real SOB to fix it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a suggestion, but you should probably pull the connector plug off the voltage regulators (especially the lower one) and check the terminals for corrosion. If they are corroded, then clean them up and coat everything with die-electric grease. Then plug it back in and you should be good to go.

I did this a while ago and was surprised at the amount of corrosion there was. A few V2K owners have had the terminals corrode completely away and then it's a real SOB to fix it.
I found this out the hard way DURING Rolling Thunder...*GRRRR*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts