Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went for a ride with some friends and rode my wife's 900 Classic LT since my bike was in the shop getting new tires. I had only ridden her bike a very short distance before and was impressed with it. However on this particular ride of about 175 miles, I came to understand why the 900 Vulcan is probably Kawasaki's most popular cruisers. This thing is sweet handling, comfortable and just easy to ride. My only complaint, if it is a complaint, is that at 6'2", it felt like it might just be a little bit compact for me. Otherwise, I was big time impressed with it. What a great motorcycle!

Now for the question. The stock seat is an instrument of torture, so we ordered a Mustang seat for it, with rider's back rest. While it's better than the stock seat, it's uncomfortable for my wife. She says it feels like it doesn't provide adequate support and makes her hips hurt. Looking at the seat, it looks like it was made a bit narrow, even at the widest portion, possibly in order to compliment the lines of the bike. My question is, has anyone modified a Mustang seat, or would she better off having a Russell seat made for her to custom fit it to her exactly? If the Mustang can be modified, great, but I don't want to mess with it if we plan to sell it. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Mustang (wide touring without backrest) wasn't really comfortable when I got it - but after a few 100 miles it will start to brake in and after even a few more miles it will be comfy as an armchair - just give it some rides (time).....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat now has well over 3000 miles on it and it's still uncomfortable. I think it's more a matter of body shape complicated by arthritis that is the culprit. We were hoping that it would break in nicely after about 1000 miles, but so far, no soap. Too bad.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Russell is a good option. If you're looking to spend that kinda money, you might look into Corbin. You say your wife talks about the lack of support of the Mustang, and the Corbin is much more of a firm comfort. You might also look into Ultimate Seats. I don't know anything about them except that people who get them seem to love them (like the Russell).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The seat now has well over 3000 miles on it and it's still uncomfortable. I think it's more a matter of body shape complicated by arthritis that is the culprit. We were hoping that it would break in nicely after about 1000 miles, but so far, no soap. Too bad.
try it without the backrest .... i have over 11,500 miles on mine in 2 road trips, no backrest, no aches, no numb bum, no pain .... but everybody is different, what is perfect for me may not be for others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
not quite happy either

i also have the wide mustang touring seat. i've put well over 500 miles on the seat and it's still not what i was hoping for. i have started riding with my airhawk seat cushion on the mustang seat and that is a huge improvement. i can ride a solid hour or so before needing a break. that's a long time for me. i think i'm one of those guys cursed with sensitive pressure points. it's too bad seats weren't more affordable and easier to try out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately for my wife, she suffers from degenerative disc disease, which means she has some bad discs and is very sensitive to how she sits on what. Add to that the fact that she has rheumatoid arthritis and you have a complicated situation. I have contacted the folks at Russell and they instructed her to submit an online order form. Sure hope this works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts