Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Three years ago I bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom--it's been great over time but I'm suddenly having a recurring power issue. I changed the battery about 1 year ago so I don't suspect that's the problem. I drove it to work the other day and unfortunately left it uncovered during a rain storm, which I suspect has something to do with this. When I turn the motorcycle on, the power comes up, the light goes on, and everything looks normal. As soon as I press the starter, the power dies immediately with none of the typical "dying battery" buzz or any other sound. If I let it rest, I can turn the key again and get the power to come back up, but the engine won't start at all.

I took the battery out to charge and it was almost entirely full. Today I took apart the box that contains the starter switch and horn, but there is no physical damage nor sign of any sparks or burns inside. I'm a bit stumped at this point. I would really appreciate some help getting back on the road!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a similar problem after I washed my bike. I took the starter switch apart, cleaned the contacts and coated them with dielectric grease. Haven't had any problem since.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The only time I've had this problem it was a bad battery. Have it checked under load. Mine was only 3 months old when it failed. Never had the issue come up again in 15k miles and it has spent a lot of time in the rain. I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. How do you know that?
2. A short would blow a fuse.
I took the battery out and hooked it up to a trickle charger and it was back at full strength in an hour or two. I've had the battery completely die and it took much, much longer to get back up.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Sorry, but those trickle charger indications are not a sign of a good battery.
You have to take it in and have a proper load test done.
Or, if that is not possible and you have a meter, we could do a quick and dirty one here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Agreed, it needs a load test. AutoZone and other places can do it, some for free. I'm not sure what this has to do with getting the bike wet, could be a coincidence I suppose.

Quick story. When I found my 900 on cycle traders, we drove from DFW to a Houston dealer to get it. When we got there, they had it outside all cleaned up on display. After about 10 minutes though, a gully washer (very heavy rain) started, and no one wanted to go out in that rain to get the bike under cover. So it just sat there until the rain stopped. Picked it up and started home the next morning, after an oil change. Never had a starting problem with it though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello:
Three years ago I bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom--it's been great over time but I'm suddenly having a recurring power issue. I changed the battery about 1 year ago so I don't suspect that's the problem. I drove it to work the other day and unfortunately left it uncovered during a rain storm, which I suspect has something to do with this. When I turn the motorcycle on, the power comes up, the light goes on, and everything looks normal. As soon as I press the starter, the power dies immediately with none of the typical "dying battery" buzz or any other sound. If I let it rest, I can turn the key again and get the power to come back up, but the engine won't start at all.

I took the battery out to charge and it was almost entirely full. Today I took apart the box that contains the starter switch and horn, but there is no physical damage nor sign of any sparks or burns inside. I'm a bit stumped at this point. I would really appreciate some help getting back on the road!
j

clean & tighten battery +\- connections ascwell as your main ground connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts