Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Riding a 2010 VN900 Custom SE.

So took it out for a ride tonight and noticed after about 1 hour that while holding the throttle and speed static (at same position/rate) the engine started ever so slightly lurching/bogging like was jusssst short of keeping up. This was something like when I rode a friends old CB450 that needed its carbs cleaned out.

Just as I was getting to my street it started getting really bad, and I noticed the clock/odo display and lights (headlights, blinkers) started flickering as the engine did this lurching/sputtering type stuff. Literally as I pulled up to my parking spot it got to it's worst and the bike died - completely no power. I turned the key to the off position and waited a couple seconds. I then switched the key back to the on position and got absolutely no response from the bike as if the battery was completely dead.
Wheeled it into the parking spot and tried one more time. The bike fired up fine, fast idle and all, but the clock and trip counter had been reset.

I also noticed that just before it died when the lights started flickering that if I blipped the throttle, the lights brightened right up, but only so long as the rpms were up.

Possibly relevant stuff: Bought it used at around 13,500kms. Right now it's up to about 24,000kms. Every now and again the bike starts up and doesn't quite kick up the fast idle, even in times when I know the bike is cold. about 1000kms ago I ran some Sea Foam, and it actually seemed to smooth out the bikes behavior. Cobra straight pipes

What the heck's going on with this thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this happen to me, turned out to be the stator being burned out but that was just for my situation

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This post says it's a month old, but this is the first time it's shown up in my list. Did you solve the problem? If not, check your battery and ground connections. If that's not where the problem lies, do a complete charging system check. This sounds like you were driving off the battery with no generator (or not sufficient). The engine died when there was no longer enough power to run the injection system and chassis electrical. The Stator Sticky Thread will have the details on running the proper checks. Let us know what's going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts