Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I put the Smartpartz baffles in a couple weeks ago. Last weekend (not this past weekend) was the first time I rode with them in. The first part of the ride involved some fairly tight roads so I was rarely getting about 65 in the straights. The power seemed to be just fine. But the last part of the ride involved some pretty long straights and the guys leading ride fast so I was having to go for it, but once I got above 65 it just didn't have anything more to hardly give me. I could barely get above 70.
At first I was pissed thinking it was that the baffles were restricting me too much. But then I was thinking about it those baffles don't actually stop the air flow they just move it around. Then when we got to a stop, guys were mentioning that we had a massive head wind and with the big windshield that the LT has it made sense that maybe I just couldn't buck it. But then today and the past couple days I have noticed the same thing. Up to 65 I feel pretty good but not great, but after that is a struggle.
Has anybody else noticed a power loss at all?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nope, no problems @ higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So I put the Smartpartz baffles in a couple weeks ago. Last weekend (not this past weekend) was the first time I rode with them in. The first part of the ride involved some fairly tight roads so I was rarely getting about 65 in the straights. The power seemed to be just fine. But the last part of the ride involved some pretty long straights and the guys leading ride fast so I was having to go for it, but once I got above 65 it just didn't have anything more to hardly give me. I could barely get above 70. At first I was pissed thinking it was that the baffles were restricting me too much. But then I was thinking about it those baffles don't actually stop the air flow they just move it around. Then when we got to a stop guys were mentioning that we had a massive head wind and with the big windshield that the LT has it made sense that maybe I just couldn't buck it. But then today and the past couple days I have noticed the same thing. Up to 65 I feel pretty good but not great, but after that is a struggle. Has anybody else noticed a power loss at all?
Try going back to the old setup and take her for a spin.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
How's your settings on the processor ... ????? not that I know what it should be put but that maybe the source of your issues.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, you shouldn't need to change your settings for the HardKore Baffles.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Have you tried 4th or 5th gear?
Seriously though, the top speed of this bike is about 110 mph, bone stock. Been there. With the windshield on. If you can't get above 70, something is definitely wrong. Last Saturday, there were sustained winds of 25-30 with gusts up to 45 mph. I had no problems rolling straight into the wind at 75-80 mph. Even passed a few cars, so I know I was moving faster than that at times.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tried 4-5th gears believe me. I have done over a 100 with the windshield. The settings on the Fi haven't been altered at all. Other then giving in more fuel for the open throttle setting. To remove the baffle may be a lot hard then it sounds. They were such a tight fit I had to reallly beat them in there.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I tried 4-5th gears believe me. I have done over a 100 with the windshield. The settings on the Fi haven't been altered at all. Other then giving in more fuel for the open throttle setting. To remove the baffle may be a lot hard then it sounds. They were such a tight fit I had to reallly beat them in therer.
I assume the original baffle never moved and you were able to line everything up so the allen bolt could be reinstalled through the end cap, Smart baffle and pipe?
What about shining a flashlight up each pipe and verify there's no obstructions?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope the original baffles are in place and solid, and end cap and Smart baffle all line up. Just went out and looked and everything is clear.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Nope the original baffles are in place and solid, and end cap and Smart baffle all line up. Just went out and looked and everything is clear.
It's hard for me to believe that a short piece of tubing is going to influence the operation of a 900 cc high performance engine by that much. There has to be another issue here.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So do I, it is just too much of a freaking coincidence. I have to check my Fi settings again. I can't see how that would matter though. But since it is freezing rain out I can't even go for another ride to check it out. Plus lately any chance I have had to ride lately it has been super windy out, all the nice days I am at work.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldn't that f-up my crush gasket seal?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well today was finally a nice day and I was free to go riding. Got close to 60 and pretty much no wind, last saturday we got close to 2 inches of snow.

So it still ran fairly doggy. Getting up to 60 was okay, but not great. Above that in 5th gear felt like it wa fighting to go any faster. Above 80 was like a wall. Downshifted to 4th and pretty much slowed me down. So pulled over turned all the pots down to 0. Then I could actually get above 90 barely, but it was a slight struggle. I swear these baffles are affecting me.

I was reading on their website that the baffles may make the bike run richer, and that you need to lean it up. I have no idea what that means. Is that basically what I did by turning the pots off?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Time to pull the plugs and take a look. You can Google "spark plug reading" and get pictures of how to analyze.
Forcing the bike to run fast when there could be something wrong might cost you.

Post back with your results.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well today was finally a nice day and I was free to go riding. Got close to 60 and pretty much no wind, last saturday we got close to 2 inches of snow.

So it still ran fairly doggy. Getting up to 60 was okay, but not great. Above that in 5th gear felt like it wa fighting to go any faster. Above 80 was like a wall. Downshifted to 4th and pretty much slowed me down. So pulled over turned all the pots down to 0. Then I could actually get above 90 barely, but it was a slight struggle. I swear these baffles are affecting me.

I was reading on their website that the baffles may make the bike run richer, and that you need to lean it up. I have no idea what that means. Is that basically what I did by turning the pots off?
That's correct. Setting the fuel manager to all zeros simply puts you back to the OEM map that's in the ECU. Removing the new baffles sounds like your next move. Try removing them when the pipes are hot. It's possible the diameter of the pipes will have increased slightly and allow the baffles to come out easier. I would also check the condition of your plugs which will help you decide if you've been running too rich or too lean. If, with the new baffles removed, your original performance doesn't return I would pull the air cleaner and then brings the revs up quickly and watch the action of the secondary throttle plates. They should open with only a slight delay. I removed mine a long time ago and using the fuel manager richened the bottom end. It gave me quicker throttle response.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I was thinking of pulling my plugs and checking them. I plan to pull the baffles, mainly to return them. Cuz they don't seem like they made that much sound difference. I tried to pull them out after my ride when the bike was hot. They wouldn't budge, had a pair of vise-grips on them. I think I might have to destroy the baffles to get them out. Biggest problem is that I am running out of riding weather.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yeah I was thinking of pulling my plugs and checking them. I plan to pull the baffles, mainly to return them. Cuz they don't seem like they made that much sound difference. I tried to pull them out after my ride when the bike was hot. They wouldn't budge, had a pair of vise-grips on them. I think I might have to destroy the baffles to get them out. Biggest problem is that I am running out of riding weather.
It's still hard to believe those short pieces of tubing are causing you to loose so much power. Good luck and I hope you can get another test ride in before the weather closes in on you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts