Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I know its been a while since I been on but a question. I have done the trifecta of modifications, got the cobra slipones, the fuel proc. And the high flow air filter. When I first installed the slipons with the processor it was running like crap popping and sluggish, I talked to cobra for a while and finally figured out that it was running too rich. So there is a small adjustment screw inside the tuner and leaned it alll the way, it runs great good gas milage 40mpg but still popps and dosent seem like there is enough power, but if I rich it out at all it starts slugging in between shifts. But the thing that confuses me is that everyone says these bike are always lean from the factory, so I want to know if I'm just waisting money. Any input would be great thanks. And I have checked the pipes for leaks too.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The cobra fi2000 autotuner

the cobra pro fi2000 auto tune , should not need to be adjusted. I think you have the cobra fi2000 with the 3 pots ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope in the auto tune the guys at cobra warentee hade me open the unit up and adust a small screw cuz it was acting uo from the get go

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nope in the auto tune the guys at cobra warentee hade me open the unit up and adust a small screw cuz it was acting uo from the get go
Wow I had the idea that the autotune was plug and play , so much for that

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow I had the idea that the autotune was plug and play , so much for that
It is plug and play. Cobra added the adjustment in the power pro to help with getting rid of the decel popping on the 1700. Any adjustment should be done in small increments. Other than that there is nothing to do except install and drive. It is optional to adjust it, no dyno neccesary to do it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If there's a adjustment screw on the autotune, I would think the would defeat the propose of calling it a autotune. I for one is all for the PCV, IMO is that the fi2000r and the power pro only curve the air/fuel mixture so I would think your still running the stock map with restrictions with vary little gain. Where the PCV allows you to custom map it with no restrictions, when I hit that throttle I can feel that bike pull a lot more. I use to have the fi2000r on my 900 and didn't care for it at all, but now I have a PCV w/ignition and love it. One thing I do like about the autotuning is that it should adjust to any conditions your riding in and the PCV won't. I could be totally wrong here, but it's just MO!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm pretty unhappy no popping was reduced not that much power, I want to get one of the pob ones but I vary my riding habbits so I dunno I guess if it dosent hurt the bike the way I'm running it now. Would that air charger kit help, the one that puts the air filter on the other side?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
have you tried marbling and turning up the idle a little for the popping

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of cobra says its not on there end the way my bike is acting what else can it be it runs perfect without the autotuner on it

·
Registered
225 Posts
I dont think you need a processor if you only have a high flo filter. I have a thunder kit w/ V&H. I had a PCV with a map from forum and my 09 Nomad ran o.k. with about 36mpg. Then I switched to the power pro and it feels like it pulls harder and I am getting 38mpg now. Bye bye PCV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I have cobra slip ons and high flow filter diconnected the power pro tuner and on my way home today damn near lifted the tire off the ground imbetween 1st and 2nd

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I dont think you need a processor if you only have a high flo filter. I have a thunder kit w/ V&H. I had a PCV with a map from forum and my 09 Nomad ran o.k. with about 36mpg. Then I switched to the power pro and it feels like it pulls harder and I am getting 38mpg now. Bye bye PCV.
If you're happy, that's obviously what counts. To spend all that money on a different unit to get a small difference like that, it's just not--- well---.
You had the best unit around and didn't know it I guess. All you need was the correct map for your riding style and area. On the way home today from a short trip I reset the miles per gallon while I was riding and got 48--to-- 50 miles per gallon. But that was from the on-board computer. I know it doesn't really get that good mpg, but it pulls like a bat out of hell anyway. I wish guys wouldn't give up on the PCV so easily as it's the best unit out there.
Now come on, do you really think a unit could really automatically tune itself without a O2 censer?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I honestly dont think my Nomad is capable of over 40 mpg. Even if it is just from the on board computer. The Cobra feels better and is able to get me a few more MPG so yes I am a believer. I ran it to 95 mph and I ran out of highway to take it higher but was a definite improvement over the PCV. PCV was the best unit until Cobra came along.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you're happy, that's obviously what counts. To spend all that money on a different unit to get a small difference like that, it's just not--- well---.
You had the best unit around and didn't know it I guess. All you need was the correct map for your riding style and area. On the way home today from a short trip I reset the miles per gallon while I was riding and got 48--to-- 50 miles per gallon. But that was from the on-board computer. I know it doesn't really get that good mpg, but it pulls like a bat out of hell anyway. I wish guys wouldn't give up on the PCV so easily as it's the best unit out there.
Now come on, do you really think a unit could really automatically tune itself without a O2 censer?
I don't know how in the world you are getting mpg like that David ? I used you map on the way to Fl and back and avg 33 mpg for the trip. Unless you ride in 5th gear at 45 mph i just cant fathom that. We must have different riding styles I guess.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was using Davids map too. If I was doing 65 in 6th for a while I would get just barely 36. But, when I am driving across a state and speed limit is 65 I will be averaging 70-75 and every once in a while bring it up to 85. So with my usual riding style I was getting 33-34. Went out last week 2 up, with the Cobra and did 120 miles taking it easy but with the occasional full throttle test and got 38mpg actual. Computer said 40. Never came close to that with the PCV with a few different maps. I paid 360 for it from ebay. A PCV and custom map cost more. Also recently I had two intake backfires at low speed that smelled like gas, so I figured I would give Cobra a shot. One guy on the M109 forum said he put his M109 on the dyno with the PCV and then with the Cobra just to see the diffeence and HP numbers found them to be the same. He kept the Cobra.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I don't know how in the world you are getting mpg like that David ? I used you map on the way to Fl and back and avg 33 mpg for the trip. Unless you ride in 5th gear at 45 mph i just cant fathom that. We must have different riding styles I guess.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Riding style makes a HUGE difference! Around town, zooming from light to light, I may get 35 mpg if I'm lucky. I did a Memorial Day ride with a few friends, all country backroads and no traffic. 220.8 miles before the reserve light came on. Calculated 50 mpg, doing mostly 55-60 mph in 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts