Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my first mod to my new Nomad needs to be to add a Power Point or two (one up front for me for GPS, one in the back for passenger to charge electronics if necessary). Can someone recommend a good aftermarket product for me that suits my bike? Would prefer something "discrete" but chrome or other non-cheap looking product. Also...I'm competent enough to have wired my own finished basement, but have no bike wiring experience. Any advice, pictures, how-to, etc.. would be appreciated so I know what I'm doing before I start so I have the right parts / tools and can get 'er done efficiently! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm....must not be an exciting enough question. Guess I'll have to put my tail between my legs and ask one of my 5 Harley riding buddies that gave me hell for daring to buy a Kawi!! Gotta do it this weekend 'cause planning the first long ride and need the GPS....

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I bought a hardwire connector for my GPS and wired it into the accessory connections inside the headlight on my '09 Nomad. There are also accessory connections under the seat. I have bought accessory plugs at marine shops for about $10 since they are rust proof and have covers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very helpful...thank you. Having not done accessory wiring before (but wired an entire basement!) just hoping to have the right "stuff" when I pop the seat or headlight off so I don't have too much downtime on the bike -- I hate having to go back to the store once I see what I need. Not sure what the accessory connectors look like but apparently they must be a common thing. I may just do the direct wire setup for GPS since that's really the only thing I imagine needing power for up front....

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
wiring

be careful of direct wiring of gps ect most have a resistor of sorts to control voltage. Had a old gps broke the end that you plug into a cigarete lighter. After it fried it I found out it was 9 volts not 12 when it was wired direct. The way I did my siruis radio was to buy an female lighter socket extension cut the male end off (ouch) and plugged the two together and taped them up as not to separate with the vibration .

·
Registered
186 Posts
You probably already thought of this, but since you asked - Test light or meter to make sure you have a point with power. Wire strippers and soldering gun if needed. Heat gun or lighter if you want to use heat shrink tubing. Wire ties, heat shrink tubing (perfer kind with adhesive), and of course wire. Also like to use split plastic wire loom to protect the wire. Depending on where you can make a ground connection may need a screwdriver or small wrenches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes...I've read about the GPS direct wire concern since I last replied. Certainly don't want to have an issue there. Thinking I may just do the marine type power point to be safe, and you never know if I may want to plug something else in I guess.

Thank you Stitch for the reminder list.

Stitch (or anyone): I'm wondering what the accessory connector on the bike looks like? Is it like a crimp connector that I'd wire into one side and crimp or otherwise secure the wire? Is there a best practice for wiring an "intermediate" type of wire connector to make future connections easier? Just want to do the smartest thing the 1st time -- both in the headlight and/or under the seat (I've seen where some folks say they add fused blocks).

Thanks in advance again.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes...I've read about the GPS direct wire concern since I last replied. Certainly don't want to have an issue there. Thinking I may just do the marine type power point to be safe, and you never know if I may want to plug something else in I guess.

Thank you Stitch for the reminder list.

Stitch (or anyone): I'm wondering what the accessory connector on the bike looks like? Is it like a crimp connector that I'd wire into one side and crimp or otherwise secure the wire? Is there a best practice for wiring an "intermediate" type of wire connector to make future connections easier? Just want to do the smartest thing the 1st time -- both in the headlight and/or under the seat (I've seen where some folks say they add fused blocks).

Thanks in advance again.
If you don't know you don't just cut off the power plug and wire it directly to the voltage source, then you shouldn't be doing wiring. I bought a special direct wire connector for mine at Amazon.com It actually came from one of their partner vendors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome help with the pictures....saw the Tennessee and thought of my extended family on my father's side in Franklin and College Grove. Good peeps. I'll make sure to take some pics to help the next person...really nice how the bike community helps others (I'm fairly new to it)!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts