Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys here's the deal. I have over 1k on my new voyager and she rides nice. Everywhere I read a review talks about the torque that it has. How she has plenty of arm straightening power. I'm not seeing that at all. I don't think I have a mechanical issue at all, but my 2006 Yamaha warrior 1700 was a torque monster. I could fry the rear tire in 1st and second and 3rd would have you holding tight. 5th would carry you all the way to about 130-135mph. This voyager is nothing like that. I can go WOT in any gear with one hand on the grip. And I can't get over 95mph to save my life. 5th and 6th would not get Me there. I had about 3 miles of flat straight road and I couldn't break 95. What gives? Someone please tell me I'm doing it wrong. (Chuckle chuckle)

·
Registered
580 Posts
300 lb weight difference from the warrior plus different gearing. Two completely different bikes, plus look at all the wind the Voyager is pushing with the full fairing, etc. It's a touring bike not a sport bike, which is the kind of performance you seem to be looking for......just my opinion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I get that, but I just thought that there would be more juice based on all the reviews I have read. Everyone makes it out to be this powerful V. I'm a little disappointed. That was the only reason I chose the voyager. It will serve its purpose, and there are a few performance upgrades I can try...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have ridden most of the bikes of this type (full dressed touring) and none have that tire burning power but they will get up and move (in comfort) once you open up the airbox and exhaust, plus a bit of fuel management. I'm very happy with the power my bike has.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
If you are looking for all out power, you have the wrong bike. It has good power and will move out of it's own way. Sometimes, I am a little underwhelmed by the power, but I also came from a Vulcan 2000. When it comes down to it, the Nomad (in my case) has all the power I need and a whole lot more comfort than the 2k did.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've seen photos of Voyager with the front wheel in the air. I don't ride the Voyager for acceleration, speed, or handling. I ride it to tour. You should have kept the warrior and added the Voyager.

I saw a group of guys touring together. One was on the new BMW 6 cylinder, 3 were on holding 1800s and one on a Harley ultra. I asked the riders if they got tired of waiting for the Harley rider. Lol!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Had a Warrior for a while... you cannot even think of comparing that and a Voyager...... two totally different scoots for two totally different driving experiences.... I have had my Voyager to 105 (GPS readout) but that's all it will do. My warrior would do that going from 2nd to 3rd.... so could my 2002 Venture for that matter..... can't compare it either.... and it was a much faster scoot than this Voyager top end with only 1300 cc's... but it had been modified some.

My Voyager will straighten my arms out hitting the freeway from the entrance ramps. But not after 4th gear.... with me on the Voyager we probably weigh about 1,200 pounds....

·
Registered
701 Posts
I do find it a little hard to believe that you could not break 95mph. Not to be personal but how much weight are you carrying? I have a vaquero which is the same bike minus the trunk and different shaped bags. I have no problems going 95mph or higher. It takes no time to get that fast with or without a passenger. Maybe there is something wrong with your speedo. These bike are not speed demons by any means, but they move fine for what they are designed for. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Ok guys here's the deal. I have over 1k on my new voyager and she rides nice. Everywhere I read a review talks about the torque that it has. How she has plenty of arm straightening power. I'm not seeing that at all. I don't think I have a mechanical issue at all, but my 2006 Yamaha warrior 1700 was a torque monster. I could fry the rear tire in 1st and second and 3rd would have you holding tight. 5th would carry you all the way to about 130-135mph. This voyager is nothing like that. I can go WOT in any gear with one hand on the grip. And I can't get over 95mph to save my life. 5th and 6th would not get Me there. I had about 3 miles of flat straight road and I couldn't break 95. What gives? Someone please tell me I'm doing it wrong. (Chuckle chuckle)
Mine was the same way when it was new. It'll do 110 fine now after the mods.
Much different bike now.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not pulling any more weight then anyone else. I weigh 200 and my bags are empty. I did get over 95 this morning. I kicked it down to 5th and she hit 100 then went back to 6th but she had nothing else to offer. I do understand though. 2 totally different bikes. The voyager was made to be smooth and comfy with just enough kick to get you up to speed. Thanks for the input guys. And to be fair I traded a 198HP Hayabusa for this voyager so I may be too desensitized to feel the voyager power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel your pain. I traded my vn 2000 lt for the voyager, night and day difference in power plant. just wish kaw would have put the 2000 motor in a voyager, one would be in the garage at this house. I like both bikes but for different reasons. just greedy and want both in one !!!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
6th gear is an overdrive gear not a power gear. My Venture was the same way. I could go faster in 4th than 5th because it had enough lower gear to get higher revs before the limiter kicks in. Plus on the Venture I had the RPM limits raised quite a bit higher than stock.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
Once the bike is at my cruising speed 80mph 6th gear works fine as far as pick up is concerned. After that speed there is no need to down shift unless you have to for most situations. There is a huge difference between the voyager and a busa, kind of like sticker shock hp wise...lol I'm sure you know and knew that when you were buying it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like where your heads at. A 200HP inline 4, with racing headers packed into a Cadillac on 2 wheels. Sounds dreamy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My bike gets up and Boogies after the Big 3 were installed. I get up to 110 mph easy in 5th gear and its still pulling. I can cruise at 90 easy in 6th gear but I dont because I like my MPGs better than speed. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just last week bought a Vulcan Nomad 1700 and I also have to say that I'm disappointed with the power.

Although.... I believe that it's running lean and a good tuner would perk it right up.
Anything would help.

We also own a Wing and two Harleys and all of them would walk this new bike, in it's present form.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
With over 4 years of muckin with my Vaq, werkin on the 1700's and amassing a truckload of data and info there are some things I can add too wha has been mentioned.

I too came off of sportbikes, the Vaq replaced my ZX14 and I still have my Busa. Fortunately thru the years of werkin on skoots, all types including cruisers and havin the opportunity to ride those cruisers when we finished werkin on them, I had those enjoyable experiences during those test rides. If I think about it my favorite cruiser is the VTX1300.

5th and 6th gears in the 1700's are BOTH overdrives, with 6th being a .80s, really dern tall of a ratio.

The 1700's mph at redline in 6th gear is somewhere around 150 mph which is not possible on a stock engine 1700. 6th gear is so tall that the 1700's will achieve a higher mph in 5th than in 6th.

The 1700 engine is a nicely refined engine and I believe Kawi put the emphasis on a refined power plant rather than monster power.

In my dyno testing along with analyzing air fuel ratios there is a limited area where the a/f ratio has been compromised and those areas are the only areas where the EPA has emission standards that must be met. Typically it is below 20% throttle and on the 1700's below bout 2800 rpm. Above those points the a/f ratio I have found to be on the rich side, never lean.

RACNRAY

1 - 20 of 26 Posts