Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2009 Vulcan 900. It has only 2200 miles on it. Today on my ride home from work it cut out for a half second while coming up to speed on the highway. It happened twice in quick succession, and once again about a mile later. I would not be able to tell you if it was a loss of fuel, loss of spark, or slipping clutch as this is my first motorcycle and have been only riding since Tuesday. Has anyone else seen this before or have any idea what might cause this loss / hiccup of power?

Thanks for any help!
Andrew

·
Registered
711 Posts
Probably just some bad gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did fill up right before it happened (2.5 gal). I checked the battery today and the terminals were tight. I went ahead and took them off to look for corrosion and found none. The cables are back on tight. Other than the battery and gas, could anything else do that?
Could the need of an oil change cause issues like that? The oil looks really black which is odd because the dealership told me that they changed the oil when it was traded in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cutting out???? Could be the main computer OR igniters.....If it's just like turning off the key, this is most likely the problem...Check ALL the connectors on those.....Personally I think it's an electrical problem. Many of the Magnas and Shadows had this issue..It's a PITA to find and eliminate ...especially IF it's intermittent. Good luck on that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did fill up right before it happened (2.5 gal). I checked the battery today and the terminals were tight. I went ahead and took them off to look for corrosion and found none. The cables are back on tight. Other than the battery and gas, could anything else do that?
Could the need of an oil change cause issues like that? The oil looks really black which is odd because the dealership told me that they changed the oil when it was traded in.
1). Black Oil, then the dealer didn't change the oil, so go ahead and change the oil and filter yourself. It's not bad to do. But it not the cause of the problem.

2. Could be water in the gas from condension accumlating in the tank. Drain a little gas from the tank after the bike has been sitting for a hour or so into a glass jar, let it settle and see if there is a gas lay over a water layer on the bottom. Don't need to drain a lot of gas. If water is present, probably the issue. Solution is drain the entire tank or add an additive that will combine with the water and create a burnable alchol solution.

You might just try the additive (Seafoam, etc) and see itf the problem goes away.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's tempting during this season to jump on the bike, turn on the ignition, hit the starter and take off.

I've found that doing that will give me problems in the first 5 minutes with the engine bogging down when I hit the gas instead of taking off. Why? It's something to do with the ECU and it's warm up program that even though it's 90 out it wants to go through the process. Solution? Turn on the ignition with the bike in neutral and listen to the pump cycle. Now hit the starter and let the bike idle while you put on your half gloves. Give it about 30 seconds and take off. I've NEVER had a problem with it bogging down after doing this. Now, when (and I did it last week) I jump on the bike, hit the switch and give her the gun I can pretty much count on the bike just lolling to a stop when I'm hitting the throttle. It's kinda embarassing reaching up in the middle of a turn, pulling the clutch, killing the engine, turning the kill switch back to run and waiting for the pump to cycle then hitting the start button. But I had slung myself out around this slow poke who did NOT want to get out in the intersection at my first stop light out of work. I went to blast by her and the bike just felt like I killed the ignition till I let off the throttle. Oh, it was quite happy at idle.

I'm used to this error, I know what causes it and I know how to avoid it. Never have these problems with a carbed bike. Oh well, the engine runs nice and smooth if you treat it like I said. On the 1700's you start the bike and don't touch the throttle for at least 12 seconds. I think it's a similar program for the 900 just not as touchy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MrClean: I always let the bike warm up (go from high to low idle) before I ride

I did take the bike on a 100 mile trip yesterday and didn't have any issues. I'm going to hope that was a one time fluke.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You got it Mr. Clean. I've learned to let the idle come down before I take off. Funny it doesnt die right away, but several monents later when you try to pull out into traffic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts