Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rode my vulcan stock only once breifly and didnt really "test it". when we first aquired the bike it was my father's until i traded him a quad for it. by that time he had put on cobra speedster longs and a fuel pak on. it runs good, but im wondering what type of gains this combo makes over stock. dyno charts? also are they good pipes?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
that combo will make the same hp as stock at best.......the only pipes for the 900 that cobra makes any hp gain claims is the powerpro 2-1 .....and any pipe that does not have a crossover like the oem will reduce torque and possibly hp as well

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
you overlooked the fact that the bike in the article has had an intake swap as well.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought my first bike this summer. A new 2010 ( left over) custom se. I ride my bike stock for about a week and add some Vance and Hines pipe a week later add the cobra auto tuner and not much difference…. But the week later I install a intake kit and I saw the power gains!! I know some one who have the same bike but stock so we go for a race and I play with him!! I was very happy with the race result!! When we go for a ride people ask me How much CC is my bike!

Its just a 900CC its not a sport bike…. But for a 900 its really good! And Pipe + tuner its good but it’s a incomplete recipes….

Hope this will help sorry for my bad English!...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I suppose one has to weigh the cost vs. power gain and figure out if it's actually worth the expense, because by the time you spend the money on pipes, tuner and air intake kit, you will have spent a wad of cash for modest power gains, if any. You will, however, "enjoy" a lot of extra noise from the exhaust. The other thing is you will likely see is a reduction in fuel economy and at gas prices being what they are, I don't want to sacrifice economy for the sake of a couple hp gain. Couple being figurative, not literal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just checked Cobra's site and the only pipes they DON'T claim power gains for are the Dragsters.

http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust_compare.php?model_id=104&make_id=3&model=Vulcan 900 Classic&product_type = Motorcycle Exhausts
yeah i cant imagine it didnt atleast gain something up top, but i didnt ride it stock for anymore then 15 mins. as far as losing fuel economy, how much can you possibly lose? i still get over 50mpg and thats good enough for me. i never saw people so against getting an aftermarket exhaust

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that combo will make the same hp as stock at best.......the only pipes for the 900 that cobra makes any hp gain claims is the powerpro 2-1 .....and any pipe that does not have a crossover like the oem will reduce torque and possibly hp as well
o and no crossover? maybe some research is in order... from cobra:
"They also deliver power gains over stock that are among the highest in the business. In part those gains come from the Cobra PowerPort, our proprietary crossover technology that helps to increase overall power from idle to redline."

looks like my pipes have a crossover

·
Registered
987 Posts
No Dyno run

I haven't done a dyno run on my 900 yet, there aren't too many opportunities here for that, but with a general seat of the pants dyno I can tell you for certain that I had a significant gain in power indicated by the decrease in response time and a shortened 1/4 mile time (lowered 1.6 secs). I have the Cobra Boulevard HP 2to1, Baron BAK, and NO tuner.....Still get over 45mpg US too. Bike runs really well at 3500ft, but I am looking for an AutoTune because we are planning a trip down to sea level next summer. The 900 "feels" lazy stock, but so did my V2K. The V2K with V&H pipes, Baron BAK and no tuner is really responsive and a set of dyno runs showed a 14% increase in power and torque over stock.:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have done the big 3 power mods (pipes [debaffled], Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Cobra PowrPro) and as an added bonus removed the secondary butterflies in the throttle body. I can definitely feel a power difference over stock, plus no hesitation in throttle response. This 9 really moves quickly over any part of the power range.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have done the big 3 power mods (pipes [debaffled], Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Cobra PowrPro) and as an added bonus removed the secondary butterflies in the throttle body. I can definitely feel a power difference over stock, plus no hesitation in throttle response. This 9 really moves quickly over any part of the power range.
removed the secondary butterflies in the throttle body.!!??? I never hear about this mod. Could you give us more info about this?? Sorry I don't want to Hijack this tread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The power gain is truly there, and yes--you need all three (pipes, fuel controller, and air kit to get the benefits), but the true reality here is that we're just trying to have some fun with the hobby. On my 1700 Classic, I installed a Cobra PowerPro fuel controller, a set of Cobra Long Shots, and a Thunder Air Kit. They look awesome, they sound awesome, and I have truly enjoyed researching all the options and installing the upgrades. Yes, the performance increase is amazing, but I'd argue that performance was never an issue with the Vulcans. We just want to play with our bikes. And play we will!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
removed the secondary butterflies in the throttle body.!!??? I never hear about this mod. Could you give us more info about this?? Sorry I don't want to Hijack this tread.
When you remove your air cleaner the first set of butterflies you see are not controlled by your right hand but are driven by a small servo motor. The idea is similar to most bikes that have carburetors. You open the throttle completely but the diaphram in the carb moves based on vacuum and opens the throttle bore more slowly. This allows for a smoother throttle response with less flat spots and stumbles because the fuel delivery can't keep up to the rapid throttle positioning. Removing the secondary throttle plates allows for a faster response when you crank open the throttle however without a fuel processor that can be richened from low to mid range RPM, the engine will tend to have a flat spot because it's running too lean. Using the Cobra Fi2000 Powrpro or the PCV and Autotune the flat spot will go away automatically.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
When you remove your air cleaner the first set of butterflies you see are not controlled by your right hand but are driven by a small servo motor. The idea is similar to most bikes that have carburetors. You open the throttle completely but the diaphram in the carb moves based on vacuum and opens the throttle bore more slowly. This allows for a smoother throttle response with less flat spots and stumbles because the fuel delivery can't keep up to the rapid throttle positioning. Removing the secondary throttle plates allows for a faster response when you crank open the throttle however without a fuel processor that can be richened from low to mid range RPM, the engine will tend to have a flat spot because it's running too lean. Using the Cobra Fi2000 Powrpro or the PCV and Autotune the flat spot will go away automatically.
Spot on..... love the response now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
cobra hp 2-1

I added the HP 2 into 1 pipes along with a cobra fi2000 fuel processor. It LOOKED awesome. Hated the noise and seemed to make the vibration (already annoying at 75mph) even worse. Stuffed back in the box, drilled out three holes in each of the stock pipes and very, very happy. have 17000+ miles on my 08 LT since new. If I want more power, I ride my Ninja 1000!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts