Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks. I recently installed a power commander 5 for my 2016 Vn900-B as one of my exhaust was turning rainbow after i changed to an after market slip on and air filter. No doubt there was some improvement after the dyno but then again i started having some issues after running about 1000km with the pc5.

1. FI light turns on sometimes and won't go off until I turn off and on the engine.
2. Bike is sputtering as if not enough fuel is going thru the lines.
3. Top speed after dyno is only 160km/hr. Same as before but the dyno showed gain of 3hp. Previously it was 44hp and now its 47hp.
4. A lot of backfiring when i let go the throttle even when changing gears.
5. Fuel consumption higher after dyno. 16km/L before and 11km/L after dyno.

So i took it again for dyno and the technician mentioned that the ecu has a closed loop region where he can't change the numbers thus restricting the adjustment. So i tried speaking to a dynojet rep and he recommended to install an O2 optimizer but I'm reading mixed reviews online about the optimizer.

Anyone has similar experience as mine using the pc5? Any solution?
Should i fix the O2 optimizer?
Any idea why I'm only getting 3hp on the dyno or that's good enough?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You need an optimizer. Period. Lots of people who have no idea what they're talking about are giving these "mixed reviews". You don't need to trust me, but your dyno tuner (and dyno tuners around the world), and power commander (and fuel controller manufacturers around the world) might know a thing or two about this. And they all tend to say the same thing.

The PCV controls your fuelling. Adding, leaning, etc depending on the map you have. The O2 sensor gets a sniff of this and tells the ECU, which thinks something is wrong and adds or leans fuel in an attempt to get back to it's original AFR effectively cancelling out your PCV.

An air switching valve aka pair valve needs to be removed, plugged, deleted to get rid of the back popping (especially on decel). That's a different story though.

Topic has been covered lots here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts