Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the forums. Just bought a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom with 18,000 miles on it. I put a set of Vance & Hines Staggered shot pipes on it yesterday. It sounds and runs awesome. No backfire, no hesitation.
A couple of the local bike shops said I should put a power commander on it with the new pipes to save the heads. I'm considering it, but since it's running so well, I thought I'd post the question.
Thank you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I went with a power commander and sold it to have the ECU Ivanized.

Some of the best money I've spent on the bike after the upgraded exhaust and intake.

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Registered
276 Posts
bon, if you do the upgrade will not be disappointed! The bike will perform so much better and if you change anything in the future all you have to do is reach out to Ivan and he will re-flash the ECU

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bon, if you do the upgrade will not be disappointed! The bike will perform so much better and if you change anything in the future all you have to do is reach out to Ivan and he will re-flash the ECU
This I understand. What I'm trying figure out is if the bike is at any risk if I don't flash the ECU. I've had many bikes in the past, and sometimes flashed them after an exhaust swap and sometimes didn't. It's never been an issue, just a couple of local shops told me I would have head issues if I didn't flash it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Here's my best guess about this. Maybe someone can respond with more definitive info.

When you put either a more open intake or exhaust on a bike, you end up leaning the mixture out, since the fuel maps are no longer as accurate as they once were. Does this cause a problem? It can, but depends on the bike. A richer (stock) fuel mixture when applying power, helps to cool the bike engine, at the expense of mileage. Having a leaner mixture upsets this balance somewhat. A leaner running bike can have backfiring problems. It can also increase the NOx emissions (I'm sure you care very deeply about those). :)

The main issue for a leaner running bike is the engine liquid cooled or air cooled? A liquid cooled engine (which the VN900 has) is more tolerant of a lean mixture than an air cooled engine. Any excess heat created by the leaner mixture is more likely to be absorbed by the cooling system and discarded through the radiator and fan. You might notice that your radiator fan should be turning on a bit more often with the new exhaust pipes. If your bike had an air cooled engine, then I would say you would have a greater risk of warping the heads, but since the VN900 has a liquid cooled engine, the risk should be much less. Just don't partially cover the radiator with any decorative accessory, leave it wide open.

Anyone with more direct knowledge can chime in here. My VN900 has a stock intake and exhaust, so I can't help more with this one. BTW, all of this text assumes your bike does NOT have O2 sensors, which can adjust the mixture to a certain extent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This I all understand makes sense. I thought it was running just a tad bit lean as there was an occasional backfire, but not often. While of course I like the sound it makes, it's not worth risking the engine. I want the bike to last as long as possible. I'll look at the Ivan's product and a few other flashes as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
To the OP you may not "need" a fuel tuner if there is still the stock air box with no mods to it. Changing out the pipes or air should not create an over lean condition, changing both out how ever will.
I picked up my bike used, Previous owner had installed Cobra 2into1's and a fuel controller. When adjusting the controller as per instructions, very little adjustments were made. When I opened up the stock air box (******* mod ) much more was needed. Also when I added more baffling to the pipes then readjusting the controller a little less was needed. Just my .02 Good Luck

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Bonhamsurf, without exception for the last 4 years, everyone on this forum has been satisfied with an Ivan flash for a VN900. I think you would be too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Depending on your situation and parts ability, IVAN's flash is probably the most cost-effective solution for improved performance. Good Luck, enjoy your ride.:biker2:

Reactions: March411

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great price compared to what I payed for mine lol. Same year almost the same miles but I paid $2850. Oh well, I still think she's worth it!
Thank you. I got lucky, the guy was stationed here on Oahu in the military and had to leave the next morning so was dumping it cheap since he didn't get near his original asking price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts