Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a Power Commander lll on a stock 900 ('06 in particular) and if so, do you like it and recommend it? What differences has it made?
Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I first got my Power Commander the bike was completely stock. I figured it was the first step to the rest of the upgrades I wanted to do (intake and exhaust). I didn't notice a huge difference but there was a slight increase in midrange power. Kawasaki sets the OEM fuel load on the lean side to pass emission standards. The PCIII (with the pre-loaded map) will richen it up and help it run better.:)

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got my Power Commander the bike was completely stock. I figured it was the first step to the rest of the upgrades I wanted to do (intake and exhaust). I didn't notice a huge difference but there was a slight increase in midrange power. Kawasaki sets the OEM fuel load on the lean side to pass emission standards. The PCIII (with the pre-loaded map) will richen it up and help it run better.:)
Thanks. I'm thinking about getting one due to the engine putting out a lot of heat at low speeds. I figured it was over lean.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used a couple of fuel processors on my V-rod, which runs even leaner from the factory than my VN900 does(!) and they are all about the same. If the PC3 for the VN900 is the same as the ones I've seen - they're pretty good.
Don't expect that it will turn your bike into a tire eating monster. It won't.
It will allow you to tweak your F/A mixture back into the "sweet" spot after a pipe/intake mod.
I like the V&H Fuel Pack (check fleabay) since you do not have to run wires down to the injectors, and you don't need a computer to access the device. The interface is a little harder to deal with - but FOR ME, and FOR A V-ROD, the install was cleaner - and once you get it tweaked in for your riding preferences, you're going to tuck it away on your bike somewhere and forget about it until you tinker with your bike's engine again.
My preferences are HD biased - since the install on my other bike is in a Waaaay different place than it would be for the VN900, but it's something to think about.
IMHO - they all work about the same in the end

If you want to monkey with your F/A settings a lot - and you don't mind running wires down to your injectors - the PC3 is hard to beat, and there are probably a ton of maps out there for different exhaust/intake configurations.

The Cobra (Fi200r?) uses the "tweak-the-pot" method for adjusting the F/A mix - which is all you need - and it's simple to use - but you have those wires to deal with (hide.)

Good Luck.
Let us know how it turns out!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a couple of fuel processors on my V-rod, which runs even leaner from the factory than my VN900 does(!) and they are all about the same. If the PC3 for the VN900 is the same as the ones I've seen - they're pretty good.
Don't expect that it will turn your bike into a tire eating monster. It won't.
It will allow you to tweak your F/A mixture back into the "sweet" spot after a pipe/intake mod.
I like the V&H Fuel Pack (check fleabay) since you do not have to run wires down to the injectors, and you don't need a computer to access the device. The interface is a little harder to deal with - but FOR ME, and FOR A V-ROD, the install was cleaner - and once you get it tweaked in for your riding preferences, you're going to tuck it away on your bike somewhere and forget about it until you tinker with your bike's engine again.
My preferences are HD biased - since the install on my other bike is in a Waaaay different place than it would be for the VN900, but it's something to think about.
IMHO - they all work about the same in the end

If you want to monkey with your F/A settings a lot - and you don't mind running wires down to your injectors - the PC3 is hard to beat, and there are probably a ton of maps out there for different exhaust/intake configurations.

The Cobra (Fi200r?) uses the "tweak-the-pot" method for adjusting the F/A mix - which is all you need - and it's simple to use - but you have those wires to deal with (hide.)

Good Luck.
Let us know how it turns out!!!!:D
Thanks. I went to the V&H website and looked at the installation, and it was identical to the PC install! Wires to the injectors, etc..
Plus, they are strictly performance accessory oriented, and it doesn't look like they have a base map for stock bikes. Guess the PC is the way I need to go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Crap.
I was hoping I could find one like I have on the V.
Sorry about the bum dope.:eek:
In the picture of the V&H model I saw (taken from the fleabay stock photo) they made it LOOK like you "piggybacked" the unit onto the ECU - or whatever they call the unit in Kawasakidom.

Swat I get for thinking I guess...:mad:

Maybe somebody out there knows of a fuel integrator/processor/do-whammy that does not require wires that run over to the injectors.

MY bike is still bone stock - but I do plan to gut the exhaust - and would thusly like to be able to alter the F/A ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap.
I was hoping I could find one like I have on the V.

Maybe somebody out there knows of a fuel integrator/processor/do-whammy that does not require wires that run over to the injectors.

MY bike is still bone stock - but I do plan to gut the exhaust - and would thusly like to be able to alter the F/A ratio.
Don't beat yourself up! I really don't mind a little installation, and the PC looks like it could be done in just a few minutes once you get the tank off. It's all plug-in. I just wanted one that would help out a stock bike just a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installing a PCIII or V is easy...you don't even need to remove the tank all the way. I was able to remove the rear tank bolts leave all of the hoses attached to the tank, remove the airbox and lift the tank high enough to get my hands into access everything. It only required a little bit of cussing. Yes, yes, I could've taken it off all the way, but in my infinite wisdom, I had just filled the tank during my last ride. The other note is after removing the rear tank bolts, the tank needs to slide rearward to be lifted all the way. Also, FWIW, I mounted my PCIII where my tools "used" to reside...made life very easy. For tools, I carry a nice leatherman multi-tool in one of my saddlebags.

-RW

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2010 vulcan 900 classic lt and was wondering , I'm getting a set of cobra speedster longs and a pc v. does the stock map from dyno work pretty well or should it be tweaked? Does anyone have a tweaked fuel map that could be uploaded that would work with my bike or should I just spend the money and get it dyno'd

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have a 2010 vulcan 900 classic lt and was wondering , I'm getting a set of cobra speedster longs and a pc v. does the stock map from dyno work pretty well or should it be tweaked? Does anyone have a tweaked fuel map that could be uploaded that would work with my bike or should I just spend the money and get it dyno'd
If you're going to the expense of pipes and a PCV then a free flow intake is a must. With that combo you should see a gain in hp of about 25% on the dyno. You are cutting yourself short if you stop at using the maps provided on the Dynojet website. Each engine is different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I kida figured that but just need to hear ir from someone else. Thanks, I'll post the results when it's finished but probably won't be untill next year. Thanks again, Ruger

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I was very much a power commander / dyno guy but having installed my hyper charger i was put onto the Cobra FI2000 power pro.

I originally was going to have the dealer install it all, but after seeing a "how to" on the forum, i went it alone.

After installing the hypercharger i purchased the power pro, $520 at meancycles, who was the cheapest including searching on amazon.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=218005

The install took me around 2 plus hours and this includes the removal and re installation of the hypercharger. It is a auto tune unit, after the install you go out, run the bike hard thru the 5 gears and it self adjusts at 80 times per second after that.

The bike runs great ... no popping, ... no mapping, .. no farting ... no issues.

The install was straight forward, lift and prop up the seat end of the tank, pull the front injector clip, attach the power pro to the injector, do the same with the rear, hook the cable to the negative on the battery and turn the key. .... Done.

I figure i saved around $300 to $400 plus on labor and dyno charges. If i can do it, anyone can.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I was very much a power commander / dyno guy but having installed my hyper charger i was put onto the Cobra FI2000 power pro.

I originally was going to have the dealer install it all, but after seeing a "how to" on the forum, i went it alone.

After installing the hypercharger i purchased the power pro, $520 at meancycles, who was the cheapest including searching on amazon.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=218005

The install took me around 2 plus hours and this includes the removal and re installation of the hypercharger. It is a auto tune unit, after the install you go out, run the bike hard thru the 5 gears and it self adjusts at 80 times per second after that.

The bike runs great ... no popping, ... no mapping, .. no farting ... no issues.

The install was straight forward, lift and prop up the seat end of the tank, pull the front injector clip, attach the power pro to the injector, do the same with the rear, hook the cable to the negative on the battery and turn the key. .... Done.

I figure i saved around $300 to $400 plus on labor and dyno charges. If i can do it, anyone can.
I'm not questioning your "seat of the pants" evaluation of your power pro but a before and after dyno test would have been more definitive. On the VTXOA forum a poster from Oz did just that with his VTX and found that the unit smoothed out the feel of the bike but there was no noticeable increase in power. He had the pipes and the intake and the only thing he had done previously to fool the ECU was put a resistor across the temperature sensor to make it run a little richer. I hope one of the biker mags will evaluate the power pro because if it's any good I'll go that way when either of my PC's fail.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'm not questioning your "seat of the pants" evaluation of your power pro but a before and after dyno test would have been more definitive. On the VTXOA forum a poster from Oz did just that with his VTX and found that the unit smoothed out the feel of the bike but there was no noticeable increase in power. He had the pipes and the intake and the only thing he had done previously to fool the ECU was put a resistor across the temperature sensor to make it run a little richer. I hope one of the biker mags will evaluate the power pro because if it's any good I'll go that way when either of my PC's fail.

I did not put on the hyper charger to look for a power increase, it was done for aesthetics only, i put the power pro on because i wanted it all to run properly. I did a earlier thread on the hyper charger and was asked if i was getting a dyno to see the gains. It is to late in the season to do it and the guy with the dyno is 50 miles away.

From the seat of the pants, it pulls better in the low end and mid range, there are no flat spots or surges, i haven't given it any top end speed over 100kms per hour, throttle response is better "rolling on" in top gear. The tone of the stock pipes is a little deeper. The nearest 100 kph road near me is 35 kms away and here , 50 kph over the speed limit (80kph max where i live) gets your bike seized, $1000 plus fine, and a 12 month suspension. I drive tractor trailer so i don't need the ticket.

My main objective was to have it all running smoothly, any added hp is a bonus. It should be noted that i am running stock pipes and will not be going to aftermarket pipes, but the added feature of the power pro is you can add or delete pipes / air kits at will with out any issues, it does its own compensation.

My evaluation is purely a layman's evaluation, nothing scientific about it.

Just out of interest, a PC3 was going to cost me $270 ... , install the hyper charger $100, 3 runs on the dyno plus a custom map, $200 plus, add 13% tax. The power Pro cost me $520, no frt, no tax and i installed it and the hypercharger.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
hope one of the biker mags will evaluate the power pro.
i could not find anything on line other than user reviews. I was actually put onto this product by KenDawg, a member here on the forum. As stated, i just wanted it all running properly, and having ridden with Ken, his setup ran well. I think he runs a barons big air kit and a cobra powerpro 2 into 1 with the FI200 power pro.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
i could not find anything on line other than user reviews. I was actually put onto this product by KenDawg, a member here on the forum. As stated, i just wanted it all running properly, and having ridden with Ken, his setup ran well. I think he runs a barons big air kit and a cobra powerpro 2 into 1 with the FI200 power pro.
No fault in taking the approach you did. It's more a matter of curious minds would like to know if the product works as advertised. Certainly the smooth function of your bike now is a testament that the Power Pro isn't just smoke and mirrors. Bring the bike over here...no license suspension and plenty of open road LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just added the PC V with auto-tune and monitor on my Vulcan 900 Lehman storm. It's awesome. Quicker off the start and doesn't sound like its hurting in 4th. In fact, the top end in all gears sound much more even than before. The change is noticeable. Unless, of course, I just think it is. Lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts