Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really wanting to know whats the best way to go for a power commander. I'm also switching from the stock exhaust to Cobra Swept exhaust. So what do you think?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'm really wanting to know whats the best way to go for a power commander. I'm also switching from the stock exhaust to Cobra Swept exhaust. So what do you think?:confused:
Here is a link to 10 pages on the subject ...

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:2tjjvy6lzfg&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=power+commander&siteurl=www.vulcanforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49#1356

The advantage of a powercommander over most is that you can "tailor" your fuel vs air settings , plus or minus over the entire rpm range, this usually involves a dyno for tuning, they do a stock run( baseline), change the pipes over do another run, tune the bike and do a final run. 3 runs around $200 give or take.

If you are looking for a hp gain you really need do to some thing with the air filter ... ie aftermarket big air kit.

Some think dyno tuning is a waste of time or unneccessary, how ever i am yet to see a dyno charted HP gain as big as a dyno tuned bike with a power commander vs one with a generic mapped fuel processor.

If you are just looking for "Noise" not HP, then you do not need any processor, you may experience "backfiring" which may be elliminated by "marbling" ... do a search on it.

Cheers Maurice

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
If you've got a late model Vulcan that will accept the Power Commander V then I would go with that and also the Auto Tune. You'll never need to put your bike on a dyno to get the best out of your bike. If you add something new like a BAK or remove the secondary throttle plates the Auto Tune will adjust the PCV to bring the A/F back in line otherwise you're back to the dyno shop again and again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told by the dealer that the DynoJet power commander wouldn't work with the cobra swept exhaust. I think I was lied to....:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the DynoJet power commander wouldn't work with the cobra swept exhaust. I think I was lied to....:mad:
Perhaps he felt there wouldn't be much of a bang for the buck if the pipes were the only thing you changed and then added the PC. Other than that, I don't see the logic in what he said.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dealers just sell bikes. Talk to a good tech. The pc3 will work with any combo but as someone who has had one I wouldn't get one unless it was followed by a dyno tune by qualified people who do this everyday. I switched to the cobra fi2000r cause I simply wanted to richen up the mix a little. And I only did that after adding the intake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get a bak for the bike just need to find one to match. Trying to stay with the black look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Barons makes a cool black one. La choppers xxx is a cool intake that comes in black too, alot cheaper that the barons too, just a different style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts