Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but I didn't see a thread on it for the S. So anyone installed a Power Commander V themselves?

I just got mine in the mail and I'm looking to install it this week since it's going to be raining all week.

Do I need to to completely remove the tank or can I just lift it?

Any other tips appreciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think too many have the Powercommander on the S. I went with the Booster Plug which was a simple plug and play.
I went back and forth between the PC and the BP. I couldn't tell I'd the bike would learn to compensate for the BP over time like some people claim.

I don't know. BP seems too good to be true but the PC was expensive even with the sale and $15 RevZilla cash

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
@cfhgarza
I did the Power Commander V on mine. You'll absolutely need to take the tank off, and basically every piece of plastic trim forwards of the seat. Luckily you don't have to drain the tank first (unless you just want to lose the weight). You may leak a little upon disconnection of the fuel line but it stops after just a second, just have a rag underneath the line before you make the disconnect. Also, don't bother trying to disconnect the 2 smaller hoses coming out of the left side running down to the kickstand, just bring those up out of the frame with the tank, its easier this way. You'll also have to pull the air box (this is why the tank has to come off) as you need access to the injectors and coils plug-ins. Removing the airbox is only made challenging by the wire loom, I ended up breaking the upper most tab off the airbox to be able to get the wire loom up and over.

While you're in there and have everything apart its as good a time as any to check / replace spark plugs (if you're anywhere near the mileage) and replace the air filter. The only extra step to check the spark plugs from this point is to pull the coils after you disconnect the factory plug-in and before you install the PCV plug-in, that and unscrewing the spark plug. My plugs looked fine at 12,000 miles (when I installed the PCV) but I had already bought new ones so in they went.

A service manual goes a long way to making any work so much easier. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
But GREAT write up on the PCV. I picked up 10 Hp and 6 ft/lb torque with a cheap pipe (DanMoto) and the Booster plug. I live at sea level and the scooter runs great in the mountains. I ran into the same issue with the wire looms and the air box when I changed to a different air filter. Yeah I ended up breaking that tab also 😂. Did you change the exhaust? Have you had a chance to Dyno your bike yet?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have the long Delkevic Bullnose. I only ran it for a couple days before adding the PCV but while I couldn't noticed a power difference with just exhaust, the exhaust PCV combo brought some extra pep to her step. I installed the 2 Bros map to the PCV upon install as the only map options at the time (and probably still today) were a modified map for stock exhaust and the 2 Bros exhaust map. If memory serves me right the 2 Bros map adds just a pinch of timing and takes some decent swings at the air/fuel ratio throughout the rpm/throttle position range. (Both up and down, depending on throttle location)
@bearslayer Good to know I'm not the only one who is breaking stuff, lol. I haven't dyno'd the bike yet, I'm planning on adding the Auto-tune to the PCV... probably this winter. I live at about 600' from sea level and she runs great both here, and up on the BRP. The Auto-tune would mainly just be for my own piece of mind, as I'll be keeping this one for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I went back and forth between the PC and the BP. I couldn't tell I'd the bike would learn to compensate for the BP over time like some people claim.

I don't know. BP seems too good to be true but the PC was expensive even with the sale and $15 RevZilla cash
Some of the BMW bikers have reported that their ECU have compensated for the presence of the Booster Plug over time. Not sure how they can prove that without some extensive testing equipment. But anything is possible. I doubt this will ever happen with the Vulcan S since it has a much cheaper type of ECU than the BMW has and isn't nearly as smart :wink2:
Same with the entire engine. Booster Plug Vs Power Commander. I seriously doubt there will be much if any performance difference. To me one or two extra ponies aren't worth several hundred dollars especially on the Vulcan S. You probably gain more power by going on a diet and loosing 10 lbs :grin2: Then there is the much more involved installation and chances of messing something up or breaking something in the process. But once you installed it it's good to go. No wait, you have to program it first, install some type of map that may or may not work well with your current set up. But wait, there is a fix for that. The Autotune module that will make everything work like it should. And it's only an additional $300 to $479 Dollars depending on single or dual channel unit. So after spending $700-800 Dollars and going through the frustration of installing the unit and then crossing your finger in finding the proper program for it and then adding the Autotune module for your peace of mind just to be sure your getting every drop of performance from that tiny 650 Twin motor. No thank you. :wink2:

·
Registered
653 Posts
...But wait, there is a fix for that. The Autotune module that will make everything work like it should. And it's only an additional $300 to $479 Dollars depending on single or dual channel unit. So after spending $700-800 Dollars and going through the frustration of installing the unit and then crossing your finger in finding the proper program for it and then adding the Autotune module for your peace of mind just to be sure your getting every drop of performance from that tiny 650 Twin motor. No thank you. :wink2:
Not everyone realises you also need to weld in a new O2 sensor bung because it's bigger than the stock sensor.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
The BP is without question the easier install but I like doing all my own work so taking it apart enough to piggyback the required plugs for the PCV was good experience for later maintenance work. I'll be the first to admit the extra cost of the Auto-tune is... unappealing. That combined with getting the exhaust cerakoted (after the new O2 sensor bung of course) is "one day" money, I don't have it and might never, but it'd be nice. The map choice for the PCV seems pretty obvious, either stock or aftermarket (much more free flowing) exhaust. It would be interesting to compare a BP Vulcan S to a PCV Vulcan S. I know the difference between mine and a stock S (I ride with one at least once a month) is pretty apparent.

End of the day no matter which way you go you're better off than the lean stock conditions run from the factory, that a win in my book. :good:

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Born with a rabbit's foot up my exhaust ( and fuel module)

It would be interesting to compare a BP Vulcan S to a PCV Vulcan S. I know the difference between mine and a stock S (I ride with one at least once a month) is pretty apparent.

End of the day no matter which way you go you're better off than the lean stock conditions run from the factory, that a win in my book. :good:[/QUOTE]

I was just cheaping out with the DanMoto and BoosterPlug got lucky:devil2:
I have always been the guy that jumps first and regrets later sometimes better lucky than smart:grin2:
Definitely would like to side by with a PCV scooter:devil2::devil2:
Just to see:grin2:
If I was offered triple the cost to go back stock I dont think i could:crying2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I bet there wouldn't be any negligible difference between a Vulcan S with a BP and one with a PCV. The one that's less Fat wins :grin2:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Some of the BMW bikers have reported that their ECU have compensated for the presence of the Booster Plug over time. Not sure how they can prove that without some extensive testing equipment. But anything is possible. I doubt this will ever happen with the Vulcan S since it has a much cheaper type of ECU than the BMW has and isn't nearly as smart :wink2:
Same with the entire engine. Booster Plug Vs Power Commander. I seriously doubt there will be much if any performance difference. To me one or two extra ponies aren't worth several hundred dollars especially on the Vulcan S. You probably gain more power by going on a diet and loosing 10 lbs :grin2: Then there is the much more involved installation and chances of messing something up or breaking something in the process. But once you installed it it's good to go. No wait, you have to program it first, install some type of map that may or may not work well with your current set up. But wait, there is a fix for that. The Autotune module that will make everything work like it should. And it's only an additional $300 to $479 Dollars depending on single or dual channel unit. So after spending $700-800 Dollars and going through the frustration of installing the unit and then crossing your finger in finding the proper program for it and then adding the Autotune module for your peace of mind just to be sure your getting every drop of performance from that tiny 650 Twin motor. No thank you. :wink2:
Just to add my own 2 cents and not to detract from IndyToms;
I spent $200 CDN for Booster Plug, which, to me is a lot. I can’t say that it does anything other than take the twitchiness out of the throttle. So, I guess it’s doing something. (There’s a video on YouTube were a guy shows an install and actually shows that BP has changed his temp readings, so there’s some proof) I probably could have got by with a throttle tamer for $75. The lean mixture situation, from the factory is not good and anyone with an aftermarket exhaust could really tell if BP is reducing their popping/cracking. If it is, then BP is actually doing something. BP is not advertised to give extra power (some have dyno claimed it has), and I never bought it for that reason. Heck I can hardly hold on now if I get on the throttle too much. So, I don’t want a module for a power increase, because I’ll never need any more power than I have right now. I certainly won’t be buying PCV at the price it is. I’d like to see a dyno run with the “S” and PCV to see what can be attained however. PCV is not worth the money to me, just because my needs have been met with BP. PCV seems to be a guessing game with tunes. Unless I could have a dyno available and a tune custom tweaked for my set up situation, I wouldn’t be satisfied. If somebody on the forums gets this done, please post, I’d be interested in seeing the numbers.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Just to add my own 2 cents and not to detract from IndyToms;
I spent $200 CDN for Booster Plug, which, to me is a lot. I can’t say that it does anything other than take the twitchiness out of the throttle. So, I guess it’s doing something. I probably could have got by with a throttle tamer for $75. The lean mixture situation, from the factory is not good and anyone with an aftermarket exhaust could really tell if BP is reducing their popping/cracking. If it is, then BP is actually doing something. BP is not advertised to give extra power (some have dyno claimed it has), and I never bought it for that reason. Heck I can hardly hold on now if I get on the throttle too much. So, I don’t want a module for a power increase, because I’ll never need any more power than I have right now. I certainly won’t be buying PCV at the price it is. I’d like to see a dyno run with the “S” and PCV to see what can be attained however. PCV is not worth the money to me, just because my needs have been met with BP.
:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:
I will not say that the BoosterPlug added HP. I will say that after adding the BoosterPlug and the DanMoto exhaust I did a Dyno test and gaine 10 ( ok 9.8) HP and 6 ft\lb of torque and A LOT of noise. :devil2:
The Dyno also showed a Significant enriching of the AFR from 14.2 to 11-13 range through the run. Yes it did see a improvement of the lower gear snatchiness , however what really smoothed things was when I changed the rear sprocket to a 43T:grin2:
so just to smooth it out really the sprocket was my most effective investment. but for the grin factor:grin2: The air filter ,DanMoto & BP. yall ride safe ( its raining here:crying2:)

·
Registered
904 Posts
:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:
I will not say that the BoosterPlug added HP. I will say that after adding the BoosterPlug and the DanMoto exhaust I did a Dyno test and gaine 10 ( ok 9.8) HP and 6 ft\lb of torque and A LOT of noise. :devil2:
The Dyno also showed a Significant enriching of the AFR from 14.2 to 11-13 range through the run. Yes it did see a improvement of the lower gear snatchiness , however what really smoothed things was when I changed the rear sprocket to a 43T:grin2:
so just to smooth it out really the sprocket was my most effective investment. but for the grin factor:grin2: The air filter ,DanMoto & BP. yall ride safe ( its raining here:crying2:)
Well, that’s some nice concrete evidence that BP is in fact doing something and not a $165-200 placebo. And Wow! 10 HP/6 TQ is huge for a gain. Thanks for posting it. I feel better now. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts