Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I'm after some help. I have a 2019 Vulcan S with a two brothers exhaust and a D&A hi flow air filter
It has been suggested that I fit a Power commander (SKU#17-061) and Auto tune (AT-200)
As there are no Fuel & ignition tunes for what I have fitted on my bike, it was suggested to download the tune for the two brothers exhaust and stock air filter
Has anyone done this or what tune do you use?
Is the power commander and auto tune worth the money?
Any advice would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I don't have the Auto-Tune but I do have the Power Commander installed. I run a Delkevic exhaust with a D&A filter. I use the tune for the Two Brothers exhaust and stock filter. The only reason I didn't add the Auto-Tune when I did it all was just being tight on $ at the time and not wanting to have to take the exhaust somewhere to get the larger bung for the Auto-Tune O2 sensor welded on. I ran the exhaust and filter without the Power Commander for about a week just for comparison purposes and it does provide a noticeable difference in the amount of off-throttle popping (happens less with the Power Commander added) and I actually got better fuel mileage after adding the Power Commander. I don't remember the exacts but I know that particular tune leans out the mixture in spots and richens the mixture in others. The only problems I've had is the bike will occasionally (like maybe 3 times/year, doing on average 8k miles a year) throw a o2 sensor code, but it goes away using the classic I.T. solution of turn it off and back on again. This shouldn't happen if you decide to add the Auto-Tune as well though, and I suspect it's just a bad connection between the bikes wiring harness and the o2 sensor plug provided by Power Commander.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Doug268
Power commander and autotune are totally worth it. "What tune do you use" you ask? Use autotune. That's what it's for. Little bit of a steep learning curve initially and it takes a bit to get set up. But once you get the hang of it it's quick, simple, and pretty fricking great.

@KeepRidin the back popping on decel is the PAIR valve or AIS system (there's like a million different names for it around the world). You can do a PAIR block off and bypass the valve to make all that popping go away. Also, adding 5% fuel to the entire 0% throttle column will help with that in the mean time.

If you're consistently seeing an O2 fault (a few times a year counts as consistent) there is an issue with your O2 eliminator OR you are trying to adjust your fuelling out of it's "acceptable" range. For example if the O2 and ECU are looking for a 14.0 AFR but your Power Commander is richening things up to a 13.6 or something like that, it could be out of range of the O2 and/or out of acceptable range in the ECU. Once you install a Power Commander and ESPECIALLY if you install an Autotune you need to disable the factory O2. Otherwise it just gets a sniff of your mods and either cancels them out or thinks there's an error.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
@KawasakiBrad I'm guessing the O2 eliminator plug has worked itself just loose enough to make the bike realize its O2 sensor isn't actually there anymore. Considering its not supposed to get above 20 degrees out all this week I'll have time to disconnect the plug and clean up the connection points, along with add some dio-grease to it. Should solve that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Consider your insurance options. Putting a PCV on an Australian LAMS bike will void your insurance unless you tailor it to include aftermarket ECU mods which will add a considerable cost again.
Selling your bike will yield a big return as the KVS LAMS have big resell value in Oz and you can get a much more powerful bike with much lower insurance to pay every year provided you have an open licence. If you're still on your provisionals you're better of just waiting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the Auto-Tune but I do have the Power Commander installed. I run a Delkevic exhaust with a D&A filter. I use the tune for the Two Brothers exhaust and stock filter. The only reason I didn't add the Auto-Tune when I did it all was just being tight on $ at the time and not wanting to have to take the exhaust somewhere to get the larger bung for the Auto-Tune O2 sensor welded on. I ran the exhaust and filter without the Power Commander for about a week just for comparison purposes and it does provide a noticeable difference in the amount of off-throttle popping (happens less with the Power Commander added) and I actually got better fuel mileage after adding the Power Commander. I don't remember the exacts but I know that particular tune leans out the mixture in spots and richens the mixture in others. The only problems I've had is the bike will occasionally (like maybe 3 times/year, doing on average 8k miles a year) throw a o2 sensor code, but it goes away using the classic I.T. solution of turn it off and back on again. This shouldn't happen if you decide to add the Auto-Tune as well though, and I suspect it's just a bad connection between the bikes wiring harness and the o2 sensor plug provided by Power Commander.
Thanks for the info, KeepRidin, I have ordered my power commander and auto tune today,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome to hear. I'm sure your local person is super grateful for your business and will be very helpful going forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts