Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello new to forum. i just bought a 09 kawasaki vulcan 900 custom and have 1200 miles on it now. i put amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil and filter. im going up in the mountains this summer with the bike 2 up. and want to know if im going to have enough power. im looking at doing exaust, intake, programmer, and the overdrive pully. has anyone figured out the best power combo of these 4 things? thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
power

ok. well how about later upgrades. looking at the cobra power pro hp 2-1, hypercharger, and the power comander 3 with the overdrive pulley. has anyone had anyluck with this set up? i am considering the BAK thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can add to some of this. I have a hypercharger, pciii and only a stage 2 debaffled exhaust and I notice a difference for sure. I have a 2010 custom se so i'm waiting for the next payday to by my black exhaust. Still humming and hawing on which one though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey,

I put PCV, Hypercharger and Hardkrome strippers on....and it woke it up quite a bit, very noticeable and im still playing with the maps.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ok. well how about later upgrades. looking at the cobra power pro hp 2-1, hypercharger, and the power comander 3 with the overdrive pulley. has anyone had anyluck with this set up? i am considering the BAK thought.
I have the cobra power pro 2-1 not hp, BAK, and power comander V which is more advanced than the III, and I can see a 10HP jump. The type of air breather is not revelant, hypercharger, BAK, ARLEN NESS, all give the same performance increase. Pipes on the other hand do matter any 2-1 will give better torque at low rpm as well as mid range, open flow pipes will give better top end power at WOT (wide open throttle). I have also installed a rear pulley that I had made at a local bike shop, still doing the evaluation on that but i LOVE the lowered RPM.

I have noticed from the dyno runs I had done, the bike runs the best torque at low rpms, and torque is power so i really like the rear pulley as the rpm's went way down, and it moved the wheel into the center of the wheel well, looks much better.

If you get the PCV give me a shout and I will send you the custom map I have done. It's a little rich in places but I love the overall effect.

I will agree the 900 has all the power you need to ride in any environment, flat or hills or superslab, I just like the extra POWER.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just make sure your expectations aren't too high. The 900 like all v-twins make plenty of torque. The $1000 spent on a Kaw 900 doesn't give the same return on investment (HP) as many other vehicles, it's more show than go. Two up riding is no problem on the 900, but if vibration bothers you then change the pulleys. I doubt there will be any real performance parts made for the 900.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a PCIII, BAK and V&H pipes. Yes, you gain some power but is minimal. These upgrades are more to customize your ride and for the looks and sound. Don't place your expectations too high because you'll be dissapointed. The SW front pulley well I just sold mine a week ago. If you add both then yes that will make a difference. One alone will still rev high at speeds over 70mph and you'll find yourself still looking for that six gear. Your bike has enough power, I've done long trips 2up in the mountains with the bike fully loaded with trunk, bags and more. I do recommend to upgrade to aftermarket pipes, intake and fuel management though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
power combos

yeah im not looking to get sport bike power from doing the upgrades. im well aware that this is no hotrod. but i would like to get a little more power just cause me and the mrs's are on the chubby side. are the power pro hp pipes overly loud? i dont want to be deaf after riding but would like a little more sound. i really want to do the front pulley and see how it feels before i do both. is it worth getting the pcv over the pcIII?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cobra power pro hp 2-1

im sold on the the cobra power pro hp 2-1 pipes. heard a set of these and they sound awsome! alot deeper sound than stock. cant wait its probly gonna be the first mod.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Power Pro 2n1 and I think Roadhouse 2n1, forget just which ones, will get you the most power throughout the range when combined with fuel management and Intake, or so I've seen on several Dyno charts. 5-10 percent is really the tops I've seen though I've heard vast claims of 20-30 and I just have problems believing that.

Still, 5-10 percent ain't bad. Just a little more umph. I think I've gotten close to the 5 with Gutted OEM's but I just can't justify plopping down the extra bucks for the last 5.

Sides, my gas mileage is purty good as is. Pulled a trailer at 55-65 and got 45 mpgs, without trailer was 50.

Faster just costs more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts