Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody here have the full set of power boosters: intake, exhaust, processor? How did affect the feel of the bike?

I am a big guy, and it always feels like the bike is working really hard to get me up to speed (for reference: I am 370+lbs).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Power Boost

Wassup Oaksong? Hey man, what are you riding? I'm asking because I am probably 80lbs heavier than you and my bike doesn't seem like it's under any strain when riding. Now, I have wondered if my speed at 65 would match a 240lb guy at 65 ya know....I ride a VN1600 with power commander, K&N filter and V&H Big Shots so she breathes if ya know what I mean but the bike never feels stressed.....hopefully this info has helped you out a little but let me know if i can be of any other assistance....til next time, be safe brother and God Bless :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
anybody here have the full set of power boosters: intake, exhaust, processor? How did affect the feel of the bike?

I am a big guy, and it always feels like the bike is working really hard to get me up to speed (for reference: I am 370+lbs).
I've been 370, and am 320 now (I lost a lot, but gained a lot back when I had both hands in casts for six weeks - wreck in my truck, bike is fine).

I've also owned a few bikes. The 900 will never feel like a rocket. It's meant to cruise. My old Kawasaki 750 kick-start bike from 20+ years ago was a rocket, and could nearly shoot out from under me and leave me behind if I opened the throttle all the way. A cruiser is not a rocket. The 900 is rated at nearly 14 seconds for a quarter mile, with a presumably slim and fit rider, and probably about 6 seconds 0-60 for same. Can't even beat a corvette, most likely. Maybe a Mustang.

If you want to get to speed really quickly, get a Mean Streak or something bigger. A 900 will just want to take you places, and will take her own time getting to speed. Faster than a car, mind you, but still ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been 370, and am 320 now (I lost a lot, but gained a lot back when I had both hands in casts for six weeks - wreck in my truck, bike is fine).

I've also owned a few bikes. The 900 will never feel like a rocket. It's meant to cruise. My old Kawasaki 750 kick-start bike from 20+ years ago was a rocket, and could nearly shoot out from under me and leave me behind if I opened the throttle all the way. A cruiser is not a rocket. The 900 is rated at nearly 14 seconds for a quarter mile, with a presumably slim and fit rider, and probably about 6 seconds 0-60 for same. Can't even beat a corvette, most likely. Maybe a Mustang.

If you want to get to speed really quickly, get a Mean Streak or something bigger. A 900 will just want to take you places, and will take her own time getting to speed. Faster than a car, mind you, but still ...
Ok, not really an answer to my question....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wassup Oaksong? Hey man, what are you riding? I'm asking because I am probably 80lbs heavier than you and my bike doesn't seem like it's under any strain when riding. Now, I have wondered if my speed at 65 would match a 240lb guy at 65 ya know....I ride a VN1600 with power commander, K&N filter and V&H Big Shots so she breathes if ya know what I mean but the bike never feels stressed.....hopefully this info has helped you out a little but let me know if i can be of any other assistance....til next time, be safe brother and God Bless :cool:
Vulcan 900

·
Registered
533 Posts
900LT, Cobra Speedster Longs, Cobra Fi2000 fuel pak, Ness intake. Add all three and you'll see a difference. Pipes alone won't do it. Very little difference between my debaffled stockers and the Speedsters except for the sound. Add the intake/processor and things woke right up, especially 2nd and 3rd gear. I can lug down to about 25 in 4th, twist the throttle, and it pulls away smoothly without downshifting. Your best performance will come from a 2-1 exhaust, or the any of the Speedsters which the factory assured me act the same as their 2-1's due to the equalizer pipe. Intakes are up to you. All of them suck in a lot of fresh air, so it's a matter of whichever one you like. Prices will run from $170 to about $280, with the Ness being the least expensive. My Cobra processor is working well at my current settings. I'm getting 50mpg (same as stock) at normal cruising speeds, but with a noticeable increase in power if I need it. Figure anywhere from 8-12hp. At 10hp that would be almost a 20% increase over stock. Cost of all this is a chunk of change. If you buy over the internet, do the work yourself, about $900 would be a ballpark figure, give or take a few bucks. Some of the best prices I've found for exhaust (Cobra, Roadhouse) is at www.monkeybuttparts.com . Never dealt with them so can't advise you there. Phat or Meancycles is a good source for intakes. You'll never make a real hot rod out of a 900, but you can increase performance a bit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
900LT, Cobra Speedster Longs, Cobra Fi2000 fuel pak, Ness intake. Add all three and you'll see a difference. Pipes alone won't do it. Very little difference between my debaffled stockers and the Speedsters except for the sound. Add the intake/processor and things woke right up, especially 2nd and 3rd gear. I can lug down to about 25 in 4th, twist the throttle, and it pulls away smoothly without downshifting. Your best performance will come from a 2-1 exhaust, or the any of the Speedsters which the factory assured me act the same as their 2-1's due to the equalizer pipe. Intakes are up to you. All of them suck in a lot of fresh air, so it's a matter of whichever one you like. Prices will run from $170 to about $280, with the Ness being the least expensive. My Cobra processor is working well at my current settings. I'm getting 50mpg (same as stock) at normal cruising speeds, but with a noticeable increase in power if I need it. Figure anywhere from 8-12hp. At 10hp that would be almost a 20% increase over stock. Cost of all this is a chunk of change. If you buy over the internet, do the work yourself, about $900 would be a ballpark figure, give or take a few bucks. Some of the best prices I've found for exhaust (Cobra, Roadhouse) is at www.monkeybuttparts.com . Never dealt with them so can't advise you there. Phat or Meancycles is a good source for intakes. You'll never make a real hot rod out of a 900, but you can increase performance a bit. Hope this helps.
Cool, a big increase in 2nd and 3rd would be nice. I saw on the Gman website that they had numbers claiming 30+% over stock, but I wanted t check with real people. I have only seen one person post hp numbers over 60 for a 900. If I could get THAT, that would be awesome, but 50+ (at the wheel) would be really nice too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
MawKaw says stock HP is around 48. Motorcycle Cruiser magazine used a 900 Classic as a long term test ride. They claimed that theirs dyno'd (stock) at 44.8hp at 5750rpm. They added the BAK intake, V&H Slashcut Staggereds, and the Cobra fuel pak and only boosted it to 48.6hp at 5250rpm, an 8% increase. JMO of course, but I'm not a fan of the V&H or any other 2-2. The most hp/torque increase will always come from a 2-1. You'll notice that GMan is now pushing the Roadburner Velocity Pro 2-1's as the top choice for the 900 in terms of power, but that comes at a price (if true). They are the most expensive 2-1's on the market at almost $640(street price). I missed out on a set of these on Ebay that were used with less than 100 miles on them. Didn't have the money at the time and they went for $350 and included a quiet baffle!! Other's may disagree, but IMO just plain 2-2 pipes only look good and sound loud. (Flame suit on :) ) All I can say is that I'm totally satisfied with the setup I have. Other opinions will most certainly vary.....;) Go over the Kawasaki.org forums and PM MrClean. He's running the Bully with BAK intake and debaffled pipes. He can give you better info on the unit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MawKaw says stock HP is around 48. Motorcycle Cruiser magazine used a 900 Classic as a long term test ride. They claimed that theirs dyno'd (stock) at 44.8hp at 5750rpm. They added the BAK intake, V&H Slashcut Staggereds, and the Cobra fuel pak and only boosted it to 48.6hp at 5250rpm, an 8% increase. JMO of course, but I'm not a fan of the V&H or any other 2-2. The most hp/torque increase will always come from a 2-1. You'll notice that GMan is now pushing the Roadburner Velocity Pro 2-1's as the top choice for the 900 in terms of power, but that comes at a price (if true). They are the most expensive 2-1's on the market at almost $640(street price). I missed out on a set of these on Ebay that were used with less than 100 miles on them. Didn't have the money at the time and they went for $350 and included a quiet baffle!! Other's may disagree, but IMO just plain 2-2 pipes only look good and sound loud. (Flame suit on :) ) All I can say is that I'm totally satisfied with the setup I have. Other opinions will most certainly vary.....;) Go over the Kawasaki.org forums and PM MrClean. He's running the Bully with BAK intake and debaffled pipes. He can give you better info on the unit.
I have heard from some 2-2 owners that they actually lost some power in the switch, so I am not surprised.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, not really an answer to my question....
Not directly, no. I have no experience with the parts you mentioned.

But you did mention that the reason for the question was that your bike didn't really get up to speed all that quickly, so I commented that I don't think this particular bike will ever get up to speed all that quickly. Not for heavy guys like us, at least. It was just a statement of opinion. Later posts show that you know far more about the capabilities of the bike than I do, so my comment had no real merit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to mr. Clean. He didn't have a lot to add. Never got his bike tuned or Dyno'd, so it isn't possible to say how much he got, or how much he COULD get. He did say it was quite noticeable.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not sorry at all I got the Cobra, considering how good I'm running/mileage I'm getting. I really did want to try the bully, but at the time $200 was all I could squeeze out of my in-house banker ;) , and the bully was $60 more. He runs specials on them from time to time and usually posts the sales on the Delphi 900 forum as well as the website.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Hypercharger, Power Commander, and Cobra Speedster Slashdowns and I can Really tell the difference.

My friend Steve has a stock 900 and we switched and I could tell right away that his was sluggish and slow. He noticed right away riding mine that mine had more pep, better throttle response, and more torque.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts