Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the diy self powder coat/ceramic coating at home on their exhaust? I got the 18 Vulcan s with the delkevic 8" exhaust on it. I found a 3 step kit by HVT, included high temp primer, flat black and a satin clear. Seems easy enough to do this at home, but wasn't sure about the exhaust header fitting into my oven. I'm hoping to get the exhaust to match the rest of the black on the bike.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Has anyone done the diy self powder coat/ceramic coating at home on their exhaust? I got the 18 Vulcan s with the delkevic 8" exhaust on it. I found a 3 step kit by HVT, included high temp primer, flat black and a satin clear. Seems easy enough to do this at home, but wasn't sure about the exhaust header fitting into my oven. I'm hoping to get the exhaust to match the rest of the black on the bike.

Bad idea don’t do that in your oven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about doing it that way but in the manual it says not to run the bike in idle for extended lengths of time. Is it ok have it parked in idle for 10 and 20 min time lengths?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Actually

I was thinking about doing it that way but in the manual it says not to run the bike in idle for extended lengths of time. Is it ok have it parked in idle for 10 and 20 min time lengths?
How about a slow cruise around the neighborhood for 20 minutes ????:nerd:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The manual is just worried the bike would overheat which is kinda stupid since it isn't air cooled. Since I can't ride in the Wintertime I start it up about once a week and let it idle for about 10 to 15 minutes and while it is on the rear stand I shift the gears and let it rotate the chain a bit. I don't see the harm in that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have had a few decent days the last week or so where I have been out for a small ride. Dayton and riverside throw so much salt down that until it rains again, im gona hold of on taking her out. I'm going to get the stuff to do it tomorrow, Once its done ill post some before and after pics.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
We have had a few decent days the last week or so where I have been out for a small ride. Dayton and riverside throw so much salt down that until it rains again, im gona hold of on taking her out. I'm going to get the stuff to do it tomorrow, Once its done ill post some before and after pics.
You are not too far away from Indianapolis. We are suppose to get 5 inches of snow on Saturday and then the Arctic Blast or Polar Vortex is going to strike again. Monday morning temperature is going to be minus 3 and the high only 9. They say that the first two weeks in March will feel more like the first two weeks in January. Early Spring my foot. Somebody shoot that Phil Guy in Pennsylvania :smile2: And yes, there is Brine and Salt all over our streets in preparation for tonight's wintery mix. And even if there wasn't there are literally thousands of Pot holes all over the place. They are impossible to dodge. It's almost no fun to be a biker in Indiana.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The silver bracket that goes around the muffler was done as well as the long exhaust bolt and the two silver motor trim pieces. I did the coating for less than 30 bucks and had a shop with the ovens do the curing for 30 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully it doesn't crack. I found a pro shop bout 10 min from the house that did the spray and cured it in their ovens. Yeah I did get a little spray in the tiny holes covering the carbon fiber but I wasn't too worried about that. He did cure the exhaust multiple times so we will see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts