Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a cruiser in addition to my Versys I ride now. Reasons for wanting the cruiser are as follows: more comfortable ride position (especially with passenger), easier to get on and off, and the loud v-twin engine. I’ve found a 2009 Classic LT for a good price and it appears to be in immaculate condition. 8,000 miles. Is there anything I should specifically check out for this year model? Also, would I be better off buying a newer model? I was originally looking at newer year models, but this one looks good and the price is obviously lower so I’m considering.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i bought an 09 last year with 12k miles that looked clean for $3400 out the door.

look up links on here about the ‘stator sound’ that some of them make before that goes. Other than that the bike seems pretty robust.

non-mechanically, the stock seat is AWFUL! so look for one with an upgraded seat or be prepared to spend another $500-600 bucks for one. You literally can’t ride 45 min on the stick seat with a numb and sore butt!

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. The 900 is pretty popular and a proven model. I got a great deal and bought a mint 2009 Classic with 2500 miles a year ago for $2000. The one you are looking at on Kelly Blue Book is Retail from a dealer is $3880 and Trade In is $2655. Private Party price is between these two numbers. So around $3100 to $3400 depending on condition and if it needs nothing. If the bike sat for any length of time, there will be more repairs and maintenance to get it in order. Check the 4 digit manufacturers date code that is embossed on the sidewalls. The first two numbers are the week and the second are the year of manufacture. If over 5 years, plan on new tires. Also age of the battery. If over 4-5 years would replace it with a good AGM battery. There is plenty more to check. Here is a link to the factory repair manual and a link to Kelly Blue Book. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
868 Posts
To add to what Tourer said, you need to check the gas tank, to make sure there is no rust inside. If you find any, consider passing on the bike. Also, as part of the fuel delivery issue, you really need to ride the bike, to make sure the throttle response is even. You need good low speed drivabiliity and short bursts of full throttle, to make sure the bike can make full power. This applies to all motorcycles and is the most common problem when buying a used motorcycle, and this also effects the VN900 when it sits for a few months and is not ridden. This especailly applies to low mileage motorcycles. You could sort this problem out, but it's a pain to do so. The cost might not be that much, but it takes time and patience to sort it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at the bike today and it appears to be in great shape. Minimal wear and tear and I was able to ride it around the neighborhood. Did not notice any issues and checked some of the things listed in this thread. This is my first cruiser, and I have only ever ridden my Versys 650, is it normal that I felt a bit unstable? Hoping it’s my inexperience and not anything on the bike.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Could be low air pressure in the tires. Could also be worn wheel bearings, but not too likely. You could also check for loose wheel axles, but again not likely.

An easy check would be to ask for correct air pressure in the tires, them do another test ride. If memory serves, it's 28 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear, for stock tires. These pressures are for the Classic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be low air pressure in the tires. Could also be worn wheel bearings, but not too likely. You could also check for loose wheel axles, but again not likely.

An easy check would be to ask for correct air pressure in the tires, them do another test ride. If memory serves, it's 28 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear, for stock tires. These pressures are for the Classic.
Cool, I’ll try that. It didn’t feel bad at all, just way more different than I imagined. Turning was also very different — it felt like I had to really hold the thing up. I didn’t ride long though, I’m sure these are things I would adjust to quickly.

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
75 Posts
Cool, I’ll try that. It didn’t feel bad at all, just way more different than I imagined. Turning was also very different — it felt like I had to really hold the thing up. I didn’t ride long though, I’m sure these are things I would adjust to quickly.
I found that it takes about 1,000 miles (1600 km) to get used to a new bike.

Reactions: wedge56
1 - 8 of 8 Posts