Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm strongly considering picking up a 2007 Classic LT. The bike is basically spotless, has engine guards and a Kawasaki Light bar and has about 8200 miles on it. I rode it today and it seemed to run great, didn't notice anyting out or the ordinary up to 75 MPH during the test ride. The bike is Red/Titanium...

So a few questions...for this bike in basically new condition they are holding firm at $5499, is this a "fair" price?

The original owner removed the windshied, but left the mounting hardware attached to the bike...looks like I'll need to buy a windshield, probably from Kawasaki since the mount is already there...any idea what a windshield might cost.

There are no maintenance records with the bike from the previous owner ( runs great)...is there anything I should be aware of in the 2007's? Should I consider a service as soon as I get it?

Also...I'm not sure the bike has the stock seat, it does say "Vulcan" on the back of the seat, but looks different from Classic LT's I've been looking at, does Kawasaki make an, aftermarket, replacement seat for te 900.

OK..enought quesitons, loved the look, feel etc of he bike, lot's of power, very smooth at all speeds...seems like a geat bike.

What's your thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
That seems high to me for an 07. Depending on the trim level, new 09's are just over $6k with all the incentives going on. I have an 08 with 10k miles and have had zero problems. A "factory" windshield will be a couple big bills. Aftermarket is cheaper, but not the same look. My wife and I enjoy ours, but its not a sportbike, nor a full fledge touring bike. Its happy around 70mph for a couple hours at a time. Aftermarket accessories are limited for this model. Not sure why, just look at the online posts for the 900; more than anything else. The Vulcan has more to offer for the money than anything else in its class.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi,
I'm strongly considering picking up a 2007 Classic LT. The bike is basically spotless, has engine guards and a Kawasaki Light bar and has about 8200 miles on it. I rode it today and it seemed to run great, didn't notice anything out or the ordinary up to 75 MPH during the test ride. The bike is Red/Titanium...

So a few questions...for this bike in basically new condition they are holding firm at $5499, is this a "fair" price?

The original owner removed the windshied, but left the mounting hardware attached to the bike...looks like I'll need to buy a windshield, probably from Kawasaki since the mount is already there...any idea what a windshield might cost.

There are no maintenance records with the bike from the previous owner ( runs great)...is there anything I should be aware of in the 2007's? Should I consider a service as soon as I get it?

Also...I'm not sure the bike has the stock seat, it does say "Vulcan" on the back of the seat, but looks different from Classic LT's I've been looking at, does Kawasaki make an, aftermarket, replacement seat for the 900.

OK..enough questions, loved the look, feel etc of the bike, lot's of power, very smooth at all speeds...seems like a great bike.

What's your thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary
Yes the price is fair, had I found a used one I would have bought it over my new one especially at that price.

If this is at a dealership see if they will contact the previous owner and see if you can get the shield. A lot of times they have the things they took off just kicking around. If not check eBay but what I would do in your case is get a Memphis Shades Memphis Fats and heck, get the color matched one. You'll spend about $200 for the shield and hardware, you'll get color choice and a true quick detachable shield. Grab a set of lowers and mounting hardware too. If you are financing it have them write the shield into the deal if it is a dealer.

Yes Kawi makes aftermarket seats, they are gel style seats. Plain, plain with ghey flames, and a studded version. The LT should have come with a studded version.

Make sure there is an owners manual and if you are worried about the service records give it an oil and filter at least.

Check the tires, with those miles it should have had new skins by now. My rear was changed at 5800
BTW, it is a great awesome bike and there is so many aftermarket goodies for them.

Get a pic for us to see

·
Registered
441 Posts
That seems high to me for an 07. Depending on the trim level, new 09's are just over $6k with all the incentives going on.
Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$4,145 $5,450
Options
Engine Guards (Chrome) $75 $84
Fairing-Windshield Only $105 $118
Saddle Bags (Pair) $295 $315
TOTAL PRICE $4,620 $5,967

Average retail - $118 for the windshield = $5849

MSRP on NEW 2009 Vulcan 900 LT is $8799. Current rebate is $900 which would be $7899 not just over $6000. Now you do get a 2 year warranty with a new one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree with bigb. I have seen brand new 09' LT's in trading times for $6,495 so that seem high for an used 07'. They are nice bikes though, I would have bought the LT but the better half didn't like all the "studs" on seat, and bar. I'll end up putting the vintage parts on and end up with an LT.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If all you have is the brackets, you will need the screen plus the chrome windshield mounting hardware. Basically the OEM complete kit ($435) save for the brackets. That price seems reasonable for the LT fully equipped. The LT also comes with a sissy bar, is that still installed ? If the bike is missing the windshield and the sissy bar then for all practical purposes, the bike should be priced as a Classic and not a Classic LT, as it is those items that are the difference between these two models.

I have an 09 Classic LT and am very pleased with it. It'll run all day at highway speeds, and for a cruiser, it is nice and nimble on the twisties.

Owners manual you can probably buy from the Kawasaki web site.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It depends where you live. Personally I can tell you there is nowhere with in 200 miles that I can buy an brand new 09 900 LT for that kind of money. On eBay the closest new one to me is 300 miles away and $7300.

450 miles away there is one for $6999 At 800 miles away there is one for $6599.

It's all where you live AND it's all about what the REAL price is. There are leader prices and disclaimers about misprints etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I happen to know what the LT is going for. Cause I was considering trading mine for a voyager 1700 and was shocked at what they offered me for trade in. And no shit, they had a huge sign on the brand ones for $6,499. My humble opinion of someone that has had bikes for over 20 years, this is one of the least supported aftermarket goodie bikes ever made. Once again dont know why. Probably because all metric bikes totally change designs every couple of years, unlike the oil drippers that have a million accessories that can the bought.

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I bought my 08 Classic in June of 08 for $7,000., I was offered a complete new 07 LT for $7,400. Which I should have taken.

I didn't as the oem windshield is not a favorite. Too tall for most, and takes too long to
remove. Also, I knew I would be buying an aftermarket seat.

If this is a private sale from the original owner, get all the stuff. Then start talking deal.

With the shield, I think $5000 is tops that I would pay.

BTW, 8,000 miles, and my original tires are fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I happen to know what the LT is going for. Cause I was considering trading mine for a voyager 1700 and was shocked at what they offered me for trade in. And no shit, they had a huge sign on the brand ones for $6,499. My humble opinion of someone that has had bikes for over 20 years, this is one of the least supported aftermarket goodie bikes ever made. Once again dont know why. Probably because all metric bikes totally change designs every couple of years, unlike the oil drippers that have a million accessories that can the bought.
Not to hi jack, but I am for a moment....

Voyager is a sweet looking thing, was all over the net looking at it this morning !

But, am am curious on your feeling about the lack of aftermarket items. Seems to me, that there are a ton of them, and competition too. What do you feel is not available ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
But, am am curious on your feeling about the lack of aftermarket items. Seems to me, that there are a ton of them, and competition too. What do you feel is not available ?

thats what i was wondering, because ive seen tons of stuff for the 900's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess the items I'm looking for aren't there. No plug and play headlight modulator, decent price passenger floor boards, engine mods are limited, K&N air filter, only one length belt, etc. Most of the big online sites, even parts unlimited doesnt seem to have a long laundry list of options. Guess I'm spoiled from my sports bike days. I like the bike, dont get me wrong, but walk into a HD dealership or a big honda dealership and see what they offer. I've never been to a Kawasaki dealership that had a ton of accessories, and there are about 5 within 50 miles of me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the list ! All are items I hadn't thought of. Although I will admit, many 900 minds want to know, the K & N Filter model # .........

In my case, with a mid size engine platform, I don't think of engine mods. I think cc upgrade. Hence my looking at the Voyager yesterday, and the Nomad. The 1700cc and electronic cruise have my interest. End of Hi-Jack.

Given point of thread more thought, when looking used, there "is only one of them" is a standard thought. As in only one with the exact condition and quality. That is why dealers make more on used, than new.

That said, a portion of the reason I got the 900 Kawi, is that people keep them. Other brands of midsize cruisers are one or two years and done. Kawi 900's fall into the "my baby" class. Thus, not many used ones are for sale at any one time.

07 & 08 were different economic climates than today. New are cheaper than they were then. Therefore, I figure that I take the hit when I sell. While I love my Classic, I would take $5k right now for it. Stock seat, sissy bar, luggage rack, light bar, risers and 8,000 miles. (I would want an extra $300 for the Mustang with backrest. )

Can I get that vs a stock 06 Classic with 331 miles, being offered on CL for $4,600. ? Only if my buyer doesn't like red bikes......

I would take the 5k, as I want a bigger bike for interstate distance travel. Which is the one thing I think the 900 classic does not do real well.

That said, my advice to the original questioner;

Others have posted a target price for a new LT. Start shooting at the dealers near you !

Why, you ask ? Well, you'll get three years to ride 8,000 miles and decide how you want to ride. You can get drunk one day, lose your windshield, sell the bike, and it will still have only cost you about $1,500...

Ride Safe !

·
Registered
441 Posts
What do you feel is not available ?
I've been wondering this myself. Everything that I would ever want for mine and so much that I would never want are available.

As far as the price right on the bike at his dealership, again that price could not be matched within a 400 mile area. Not even close really. I stand that this 07 used LT is a fair price, it is even considered below average miles. However if he lives in the area close to bigbob he should buy a new one for the price.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Price would be fair if the original windshield was present, is $500 too high as it sits. Note that, depending on how it's been ridden, the Dunlop tires are gone or near gone, and will need replacement, in best case scenario, near 11k miles.

IMHO, the OEM windshield is much better than Memphis fat in the buffeting department.

That said, I can't think of a bike I'd rather have right now, than my '07 LT, red/titanium.

I'd tell the dealer if he mounts an OEM windshield, I'll buy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To Gryan,
You will love the bike if you're loking for a midsized cruiser. Point being, accessories are cheaper when they come on the bike new. Adding a windshield and maybe brackets will push the used price close to a new one. If ur financing, bet the payments will be almost identical.

·
Registered
66 Posts
33-2008-1 (slightly modified, ok a bunch modified).
Made a huge difference in performance, especially on the top end.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess the items I'm looking for aren't there. No plug and play headlight modulator, decent price passenger floor boards, engine mods are limited, K&N air filter, only one length belt, etc. Most of the big online sites, even parts unlimited doesn't seem to have a long laundry list of options. Guess I'm spoiled from my sports bike days. I like the bike, don't get me wrong, but walk into a HD dealership or a big Honda dealership and see what they offer. I've never been to a Kawasaki dealership that had a ton of accessories, and there are about 5 within 50 miles of me.
1. I've never installed a headlight modulator so I do not know what is involved and I wasn't aware they had plug and play designs. It can't be to involved though.

2. I am not sure what a "decent price" is for floorboards but they are in the $250 + or - range. I have Kawi ones on mine and I know they were over $300 but I received a discount on them when buying them with my bike. I like them because they match but there are other more eye candy appealing styles.

3. You are correct most Harley shops have bling out the ying even the dealer I bought my LT from which is a HD, Suz, Star, Kaw, and Honda dealer. They have very little for Honda which is sad because they started with Honda and Honda cars long before the other lines.

You make a valid point about the Kaw shops not having stuff (especially if they are a multi line shop). Now 2 Kaw shops in my area do carry a fair amount of Kaw and Cobra pieces in stock. Davis Cycle, Butler PA and Northstar Powersports, Hermitage, PA. The 1st is a Kaw and Suz store and the last is a Kaw Polaris store and BOTH are small shops.

As far as the belt goes, I am not sure why you would want a different length unless you were changing cogs. Unless I misread the Scootworks page they claim you can use your OE belt no matter which pulley you use, front, rear, or both.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Price would be fair if the original windshield was present, is $500 too high as it sits. Note that, depending on how it's been ridden, the Dunlop tires are gone or near gone, and will need replacement, in best case scenario, near 11k miles.

IMHO, the OEM windshield is much better than Memphis fat in the buffeting department.

That said, I can't think of a bike I'd rather have right now, than my '07 LT, red/titanium.

I'd tell the dealer if he mounts an OEM windshield, I'll buy it.
Dunlops at 11k...yes best case, especially if you never load the bike and you weigh 125 - 150# and keep a very close watch on your tire pressure and maybe even tweak it. Out of all the upgrades I did to T'Pol getting rid of those Dunlops were the best.

I suggested the Memphis Shades because of the cost VS Kaw. The Kaw shield is thicker but in my opinion looks to big from the front view, not from riding position. Also there is color, size, style and the quick release VS Kaw.
Personally I love the Vulcan emblem on mine. It would really be a tough choice for me.

Unfortunately NADA is pretty accurate and it doesn't state that the windshield is a $500 option. Even though the LT comes with bags and a shield NADA allows you to add for them and so will the bank because NADA does.

You are right though more over the 900's are keepers. Lets face it they run awesome. They hold their own against V-Star 1100 and Shadows as well as 1200 Harleys.

Heck, last fall on the way to Bike Night this Road Glide rider had to make himself feel better by passing my daughter and I but he got caught by the same traffic light I did. I was waiting for the light to change and he was going RuMbLe BLAP RuMbLe BLAP. I tapped my daughter on the leg and told her to hold tight. Since I used to drag race cars I leave the line quickly and this time I did it as a tease. Sure enough he took the bait. He jumps on it as I am shifting into 2nd and he starts to pull ahead as he shifts into 3rd. All I did was twist it in 2nd and shift into 3rd as he hits 4th and I get 3 bike lengths ahead of him and as I grab 4th I am through the traffic light he had to stop for.

Maybe he had to stop to pick up some parts that fell off I don't know... LOL I saw him later at the Bike Night and he just ignored me. I know some people light changing their air cleaner cover because it says 900 on it. I am not ashamed it is a 900 on it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess the items I'm looking for aren't there. No plug and play headlight modulator, decent price passenger floor boards, engine mods are limited, K&N air filter, only one length belt, etc. Most of the big online sites, even parts unlimited doesnt seem to have a long laundry list of options. Guess I'm spoiled from my sports bike days. I like the bike, dont get me wrong, but walk into a HD dealership or a big honda dealership and see what they offer. I've never been to a Kawasaki dealership that had a ton of accessories, and there are about 5 within 50 miles of me.
Not sure why a K&N filter is so importnat. Everyone likes them beccause they are the "cool" brand. Just remember if it gives you more airflow it also lets more dust/dirt particles in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts