Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, local person is selling a 97 500, states the transmission is out but motor runs well. Other then that everything seems in great shape.

The local is parting with it for 200$ with title.

What would the opinions here be about this possible rebuild project?

I am very handy with engines and know for a fact that i can tackle a case split and replace the gears with ebay rebuild parts. Side note if all fails I do have the means to convert to all electric real easy but prefer to make Gas engine run again..

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. With the proper expertise and tools there shouldn’t be any issue with this rebuild. Parts availability is still good for this model. Make sure to post us some pictures along the way. We all love when a bike comes back from the grave. Here‘s a couple of links to the factory repair manual and an OEM parts supplier. Thanks again for becoming a member. Be well.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
244 Posts
Hello all, local person is selling a 97 500, states the transmission is out but motor runs well. Other then that everything seems in great shape.

The local is parting with it for 200$ with title.

What would the opinions here be about this possible rebuild project?

I am very handy with engines and know for a fact that i can tackle a case split and replace the gears with ebay rebuild parts. Side note if all fails I do have the means to convert to all electric real easy but prefer to make Gas engine run again..
What type of transmission failure.. if metal particles are in the oil then you have a a mess on your hands with that engine
I would search for a good used engine and keep the current one for parts

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Having owned a '97 500 for many years I wonder just what could be wrong with the transmission. I mean mechanically the 500 engine I know is almost 'bulletproof'. It could be something as simple as a seized clutch cable or a failed clutch. This transmission also has a 'Neutral Finder' that won't let it shift higher than 1st gear unless the bike is moving.

I did something similar a few years ago with a '98 model that I will give to my son when he gets his license.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of transmission failure.. if metal particles are in the oil then you have a a mess on your hands with then engine
I would search for a good used engine and keep the current one for parts

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

I have not picked up the bike yet and the local seller knows little to nothing. He just quoted that it would not shift.

I plan to have it at my house by Monday the latest and spend the next few days doing work on it.

I will let everyone know what issues I find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having owned a '97 500 for many years I wonder just what could be wrong with the transmission. I mean mechanically the 500 engine I know is almost 'bulletproof'. It could be something as simple as a seized clutch cable or a failed clutch. This transmission also has a 'Neutral Finder' that won't let it shift higher than 1st gear unless the bike is moving.

I did something similar a few years ago with a '98 model that I will give to my son when he gets his license.

Good luck.

This is good advice and gives hope of a easy fix. Thank You.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. With the proper expertise and tools there shouldn’t be any issue with this rebuild. Parts availability is still good for this model. Make sure to post us some pictures along the way. We all love when a bike comes back from the grave. Here‘s a couple of links to the factory repair manual and an OEM parts supplier. Thanks again for becoming a member. Be well.

Thank you for reading my mind with good resource links. This will be very handy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
He just quoted that it would not shift.
Google "Kawasaki positive neutral finder" before digging deep in. "Positive Neutral Finder system is a device that prevents the transmission from shifting from first into second when it is at a standstill."
Perhaps the seller isn't aware of this system and has himself convinced of a problem where there isn't?
Could possibly work to your benefit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received the bike tonight for $200.

Pictures will come in a following update as i assist what is all needed.

As it stands I will need new tires , brake cables, snifter cable. throttle rubber grip and matching passenger side handle bar grip.
brakes front and back.

Figure out how to remove the gas cap. both keys do not go all the way in to the gas cap lock hole.

Speedometer gauge.

Clean the carbs and replace the rubber boots.

Find a complete exhaust from motor head to muffle.

new plugs and maybe wires?

Paint , frame , seats , head and tail lights look dang near new.

Figure out how to bench test / start the engine without mounting to the frame.

New chain.

Anyone have links to the above items , I would appreciate them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely worth buying--but offer him $100 first. I have three 500's and got my most recent (2009) model for $1200. It had only 125 miles on it, and the owner couldn't get it in gear because he didn't know it had to be running first. (Nor could he start it because it had a dead battery.) So you may be incredibly lucky and not need much--but it's an easy engine to work on and used engines are readily available at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
278 Posts
work the key slot and cap surround areas with WD40, give it time. Easy does it, do NOT create peripheral damage to lock section by forcing key to turn. Work a little at a time, allow the WD to penetrate and work. Also, once key turns, push cap downward while trying to flip.

This one (EX500) took me a few hours of try/ spray/ sit repeats. Note white corrosion, bike sat uncovered, outdoors for a year (so I was told). As a result, the latch was frozen solid. WD worked. Later, disassembly, clean and lube was accomplished for long term service. But first, ya godda get it OPENED!

ge2.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
work the key slot and cap surround areas with WD40, give it time. Easy does it, do NOT create peripheral damage to lock section by forcing key to turn. Work a little at a time, allow the WD to penetrate and work. Also, once key turns, push cap downward while trying to flip.

This one (EX500) took me a few hours of try/ spray/ sit repeats. Note white corrosion, bike sat uncovered, outdoors for a year (so I was told). As a result, the latch was frozen solid. WD worked. Later, disassembly, clean and lube was accomplished for long term service. But first, ya godda get it OPENED!

View attachment 246238
Got the cap off. Previous owner snapped a key off in the hole. Found a cap on eBay with a key so it is on order. Currently the tank is filled with vinegar to get rid of rust. The petcock screens are destroyed so I placed a amazon 10$ order for a new one.

I really should start taking pictures of each process , but I get so caught up in the moment that I go 1 track mind and just start fixing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone have a link to the Throttle cable and deaccel cable with the bracket to hold them to the housing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At this point the carbs and bike in general is running and works perfect. Needs a good pro paint job and seat done but that's cosmetics and I will get that done in a few months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts